News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by Crewe, October 01, 2018, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

If you don't get RDR2, especially on sale, you're insane Crewe. INSANE.

Don't bother with the online, just play the story. It's so good. Do what you feel like doing. I like everything the game has to offer, I like that some of it is so mundane that it can feel like "Wild West Simulator." But then you go into town and start shooting everybody and you get your energy going again.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on April 06, 2020, 04:49:28 PM
If you don't get RDR2, especially on sale, you're insane Crewe. INSANE.

Don't bother with the online, just play the story. It's so good. Do what you feel like doing. I like everything the game has to offer, I like that some of it is so mundane that it can feel like "Wild West Simulator." But then you go into town and start shooting everybody and you get your energy going again.

lol we get along so well

TheNorm

What Buc said. This game on sale is worth it...hell, it was worth it full price. Tells one hell of a story, and if I'd finished this back in '18 when it came out it might've been my GOTY over Spider-Man.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Really? Man, I really enjoyed Spider Man. it was the only game I not only finished 100% not once, but twice!

TheNorm

Spider-Man was one of the main reasons this game got thrown on the back burner for so long (well that and NBA anyway)! Been a spell since I've played it, might be time for it again soon.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I just fired it up again yesterday and farted around with it for a while. Fun game.

So I bought RDR2.
Im only in Chapter 2, getting used to the game .
I like the physical controls and the characters reactions quite a bit so far as well as the horse riding except that he's too slow.
I started a ruckus in town and died, net thing, I come out of a hotel I think and my horse and my people were all gone, soI had to find another and then sooner or later, I ran across mine again after I failed a side mission which was a bounty chase. Well, I didnt die, but let him get away.
There needs to be a fast travel option for this game. When we were wagon training from the mountains to the town of Valentine, I was bored to tears. Even after the conversation was over, it was like ten real minutes of nothing. Thats going to drive me nuts and what I was afraid of in buying this game.
Although, you can see why cowboys would just get drunk and shoot up motherfuckers cant you? lol

BojackHorsefella

After you upgrade Dutch's tent at camp, you can upgrade Arthur's and unlock fast travel (can only use it at camp or hotels).

You'll get faster horses too. My current playthrough I caught the White Arabian up by Colter, and been using him ever since.

I also admittedly Gamesfaq'd the hidden gold bars, because there's no way I would have ever found them (uh...either.. playthrough....) without it, haha

Crewe

yea I have no shame about things like that. I did it while completing 100% on Spiderman with his backpacks I think it was

Crewe

So I killed a guy on the road way with no-one around but somehow got a bounty on me. I can only assume the game just knows what you do, like God.
That's supposed to be what was great about the west. Who the hell was gonna know anything? That's why we dont know what happened to Johnny Ringo lol
In any event, I dont know why I bother paying my bounty. Im not even out of the area and I have another on me, so back to the post office, again, without gettin killed.
So, collecting debts...I found the chick, and her SO bowed up on me and we had a slobber knocker (btw, what the hell are the controls for fist fighting? I know circle swings and you can use the L analog to dodge backwards but everything is a mystery to me.
Anyhoo, a witness saw it and called it in apparently because they were on me fast.
How do you shoot while riding? I dont mean arming yourself, but damn, I have to slow down rotate around look for whoever, draw and shoot and by that time, Im dead.
Can you shoot behind you while running? I found you cant really outrun them so I guesss I should just stay and fight?
In one instance, I realized after, the best thing to do would be to dismount and pick em off with the repeater while they approached, but I tried to run away.
So back to debt collecting. After them fellas killed me, I went after the guy who runs away from you. I kept getting close but couldn't figure out how to stop him, soooo, I had to shoot him. Twice. And he didnt stop. The third time killed him. I did love Arthur saying, I shouldn't have done that lol
No shit. Bounty again!
I did come back and find his dough in the tree so there's that I guess.

I had the grizzly bear task after the other guy left me alone. I found the bear and shot him but he killed me. I couldn't fin him again so I just left it. Is that mission still a go for me? do I need to complete it somehow?
How? Where's the bear?

Ive collected the debts, caught the ODriscoll kid, made him take us to their hideout, dusted them.
Went into Valentine, got in a fight there and shot some fellas.
later I was on the outskirts, some guy was chatty while I was riding out as he was, but I kept antagonizing him and he started shooting at me.
I just took off, had enough of this warrant bullshit ;-)
Got in a bar fight, which was funny, as a drunkard, thrown in jail, bought my way out.
Helped out a few travelers here and there and that's about all my accomplishments for now.

In any event, tips are appreciated.

Crewe

I feel like a sociopath playing this game, help a lady out, then kill three fellas for no reason.
Ok, there was kind of a reason, and by old west standards, a pretty darn good one. I needed a horse.

I was trekking rocky terrain and took my horse and myself over a bluff and he needed reviving. Now, I was in a general store, honestly, not twenty minutes prior, saw that solution and actually said to myself, meh, when would I EVER need that.  :o
So now, I had to shoot Rosco. I think about him now and again, and every time I do, that scene with Mad Dog Tannen from BttF III plays in my head..."I done shot that horse." I give myself a giggle and move on.
So I found this other fellas horse on the trail and he objects so I shot him. As I was looting, a witness came upon us and was gonna tell.
Great time to try out my new horse. Caught him not far from the first oopsie, shot him, then another appeared and before he even recognized what was happening, my cowboy spider sense told me, "witness" so I shot him too.
Got a shitty horse and about $3.00.

So I took this stupid horse named Morgan to the stable in Valentine and got a whopping $2.50 for him (that's $5.50 total if you're keeping track) and while browsing to buy another, I stumbled upon a thoroughbred whose attributes were much better than the $150 horses I was seeing, and he was apparently "lost" because I couldn't buy him, only "claim" him. So, I said yep, that's Rosco, and that friends, is how I came by my new best friend.
Oh, and I learned how to fight.

Im knocking out some tasks, but the one Im skipping for now is that stupid kid I have to get out of the cult.
I understand I dont have to catch him, just keep up, but its near impossible at this point. After about five tries I said fuck it.
After further reading, I see that I have to "draw" which Ive already failed once and shoot the gun out of his hand to thwart his suicie attempt.
That one will be a pain in the ass.
Otherwise, not bad. Just rescued the Irish ruffian from a noose, that was a lot of fun. That sucks though, those Pinkerton's have no cash.
I had to pay a $300 bounty because of that idiot I broke out of jail in Strawberry.
Im gonna have to win a shit ton of poker games to get that back.

TheNorm

Seeing you play through this game the first time is bringing back some memories, and almost has me wanting to fire it up again.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on April 12, 2020, 02:49:38 PM
Seeing you play through this game the first time is bringing back some memories, and almost has me wanting to fire it up again.

haha do it! And help me out in the process lol
What does being a do goober get you btw? Im just curious?

Im sure Ill have more updates coming lol

TheNorm

It's funny, I saw a headline a few months ago about games like this and how a good portion of people tend to go with what they would do in real life even though they know it is a game. I tend to go the same way; with both this and the original RDR, plus the Infamous games I typically went the 'do-gooder' route even on second playthroughs. I just couldn't bring myself to go full on jackass, even at the camp. With most of them I'd pick the "friendly" conversation option instead of "antagonize"; only ones I really would antagonize were Uncle and Micah. I had to look up a video to see what happens if you go through camp and antagonize everyone at once, and it cracked me up...but I couldn't do it myself lol.

It's always amusing to me because I feel in real life I'm a bit of an asshole no matter what my friends say. Maybe it just means I won't take shit from anyone lol, but I digress.

Anyway, supposedly going through the game as a morally good character makes interactions and dealings a bit more pleasant and potentially offers some deals just like the first one. People are more likely to help you out, that sort of thing. 

Crewe

yea that's interesting because Im the same way. Im not even an ass to my rivals in MLB lol
Was the same with GTA even though they were hardened criminals.
What was that one game a while back, wasn't that great overall, but at one point, your character was kidnapped and forced to participate in a terorist act.
You're blindfolded and then come out of an elevator with three or four others and they start shooting, people screaming and you have to take part in killing people in an airport.
man, that was brutal. Cant remember the game and it wasn't that great I dont think but I just remember that part.
My turn to digress. lol

I am getting to where I just kill people now in RDR2 instead of waiting for them to get the jump on me.
I did the one gunfighter historian task where you go way up in to the mountain to this camp full of banditos to talk to Francisco.
Im nice, approach cautiously, ask to speak to him and they just waylay me.
So, ok fine, now I just kill people lol
Ive even wanted to get a good enough rifle with a scope and sit atop that bluff outside Valentine and just snipe fuckers riding by lol.
aIf I find a strong enough rifle, Ill try it.
And hey, do we stay in Horshoe camp for the entire game? Is that map the whole area we get?

Crewe

I have other questions.

These side quests, cigarette cards, dinosaur bones, shit like that Im supposed to find, I guess you just luck out? I have no idea where to look for these items.
Also, big game, like deer, alligator etc...you cant sell the carcass to a butcher? I skinned a deer, I know he will buy the pelt, but I toolkits the whole thing and it dint show up as something I could sell.
That sucks.
Edit to add, What the hell happens to my pelts? I killed and skinned an alligator and had his pelt on my horse. Put him up at a stable and now its gone. This has happened twice and pissed me off. Is there something I need to know?