UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Day 10
Favorite Western

Unforgiven would be my default answer, very good choice.
You have no idea how close I was to putting Blazing Saddles here. :D
But I'm going with Tombstone instead. Just one of those movies that I'm stuck watching if I find it playing. Kurt Russell is a great Wyatt and Val Kilmer nearly steals the film as Doc. I don't care if it takes liberties with the history, the movie is entertaining.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on March 17, 2018, 01:16:44 PM
Yeah, I thought about Vacation and Xmas Vacation. Honestly, it was a tossup between those and Ghostbusters (I use the "nice shooting Tex!" line way too much)

Day 10

This is interesting for me because I never really got into westerns. The classics never interested me (I think Unforgiven may be the only Eastwood western I've seen) and most of the modern ones just don't reach that level.

So, this one's a bit of a tossup for me. I enjoyed the Bale and Crowe 3:10 to Yuma and the Coen Brothers True Grit.

But, if I'm honest, I think I have to go with John Wayne's The Searchers. Because honestly, what western truly tops that final scene?

Interesting you bring up the Searchers  :D
I really enjoyed True Grit as well, quite the departure from the original.
One I really liked that I feel was seriously overlooked was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Superlative cinematography that really created a feel of the times while telling its own story.

Norm, Blazing Saddles wouldve been accepted lol
I really liked the treatment of Tombstone. It was one of the first to suggest a gray area to the Earps, and while I really enjoyed it and will watch it most times, it really evolved into sort of summer blockbuster type and I dont say that to do it a disservice at all.
As much as I dislike Costner, his Wyatt Earp is a much better narrative that investigates the Earps further and discusses many of the main plot points Tombstone doesn't even address. Dennis Quaid was also spot on with his Doc as well. Sorry, I love discussing the southwest post civil war but I digress

Day 11
most disturbing film

Requiem for a dream. man, thats a one time watch film for me if there ever was one.

BojackHorsefella

I never saw it, so I won't say The Human Centipede.

And I probably would've taken Requiem.

So, in a pinch, I'll go with another Darren Aronofsky film from just last year, which I loved, but was awfully disturbing: Mother!

This was probably my favorite movie of 2017 but it is NOT for everyone. You will either love it or hate it, there is no in between. The film has a vast amount of layers and is a religious allegory, a meditation on the relationship between artist and art, a commentary on our treatment of the planet that fosters all life and so much more.

But the events that unfold over the course of the film, especially the culmination at the end, are extremely out there in that Requiem sort of way. Such a great film, but so weird.

TheNorm

Day 11
Most disturbing film

Yeah, Requiem For A Dream is the only one for me here. Crewe, like you, I'll never watch it again either. No thanks.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

cflnut

Day 11
most disturbing film

The exorcist. Only film that has really truly scared me.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Ive heard exactly that about Mother, and Exorcist is a great choice too.

Day 12
A film you were sure you would hate but ended up liking

My SO dragged me to se Ghost way back when and I was prepared to hate it, immensely. While it didnt bowl me over, it ended up 180 degrees from where I started. Its just the first film I remember that made me change my mind completely.

BojackHorsefella

So many to choose from.

I'm going to go with Captain Underpants. Took the kid to see it, expected the worst, but it was actually really funny.

TheNorm

Day 12

Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone...had absolutely zero desire to see this or read any of the books, and I used to even joke about these people that were waiting for a midnight release back in 2000 (the 4th Potter book, Goblet of Fire). But a coworker was looking for someone to go see this with, so I went...and it was enjoyable enough that I bought the book soon after...then the second...then the third...then the fourth book that I had joked about people standing in line for. By the time I'd finished those four I still had to wait another year for the fifth...guess who was standing in line for the final three books at midnight?

Can't think of many things I've been more wrong on than this Potter universe, and I'm more than happy about it.

rollntider

Day 10
Favorite Western

Since everyone  picked unforgiven I will pick young guns. Havent seen it in years

rollntider

Day 11
Most disturbing film

Buttefly effect for some reason freaked me out

rollntider

Day 12

Inglorious bastards

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on March 20, 2018, 12:12:28 AM

Day 12

Inglorious bastards

That kinda surprises me. Interesting.

Day 13
A movie you will watch anytime you see it on tv, even if not from the start

Im sure we all have more than one, but Ill begin with My Cousin Vinny.

BojackHorsefella

Lately, this has undeniably been The Dark Knight.

It's gotten to the point that when I see it on the guide I have to actively will myself to not turn to it, because I'll get sucked in and watch however much is left.

cflnut

Day 12

Thor was one I really enjoined more then I thought I would. I was a bit apprehensive about it cause I was never a fan of the comics, but the movie was really well done.

Day 13

The Secret of NIMH.
For a children's movie it is rather dark. Use to freak me out a bit as a kid, but for some reason it stuck with me.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on March 20, 2018, 09:24:40 AM

Day 13

Im sure we all have more than one, but Ill begin with My Cousin Vinny.

Great f'ing movie. The Dark Knight is one of my favorites too.

There's a bunch I could add to this list, so I'll go with the one I stopped to watch most recently: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.