News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of TV Challenge

Started by TheNorm, February 05, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on February 23, 2018, 02:11:47 AM

I like the Dexter opening just not tops in my book, not that that holds any critical high ground.
I enjoyed the show and the last season could've been great but it failed and I think it's a shining example of what happens when know it all execs invade and dictate the creative process

Nailed it. The prob with Dexter you could tell different writers wrote different seasons.  One Season Laguerta had the hots for Dexter, then she doesnt. His sister has the hots all of a sudden. Dexter doesnt have a sex desire then he does. The trinity killer story line had a few plot holes that could have been done better. And that last season.... yeah what a shit show that was.

TheNorm

Day 19
Best tv show cast

Parks & Recreation - toss up between this and West Wing to be honest. Amy Poehler, Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, Adam Scott, Aziz Ansari, Rob Lowe, Jim O'Heir, and Retta were an amazing ensemble cast.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Jesus, this day.

I mean, best for the show they're in, best because they're superstars, best actors....so much criteria to consider.

Sopranos is up there. I haven't watched it but I imagine The Wire would be under consideration. Say what you want about Heroes but they had a great cast.

I think I'm going to play this safe though and go with Seinfeld (well, fairly safe. I know Norm hates it).

But seriously, Seinfeld himself, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Jason Alexander (yes, I know he hasn't done much since, but still was great) and Michael Richards (who was great as Kramer and...the less said about later, the better).

Plus the bit roles, like John O'Hurley, Patrick Warburton and of course, Wayne Knight as Newman

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on February 23, 2018, 02:58:08 AM
Quote from: Crewe on February 23, 2018, 02:11:47 AM

I like the Dexter opening just not tops in my book, not that that holds any critical high ground.
I enjoyed the show and the last season could've been great but it failed and I think it's a shining example of what happens when know it all execs invade and dictate the creative process

Nailed it. The prob with Dexter you could tell different writers wrote different seasons.  One Season Laguerta had the hots for Dexter, then she doesnt. His sister has the hots all of a sudden. Dexter doesnt have a sex desire then he does. The trinity killer story line had a few plot holes that could have been done better. And that last season.... yeah what a shit show that was.

Agreed

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on February 23, 2018, 07:14:24 PM
Jesus, this day.

I mean, best for the show they're in, best because they're superstars, best actors....so much criteria to consider.

Good observation. And don't forget, director plays heavily into this equation as well.
I think great cast is, lightning in a bottle essentially. A great actor can elevate average actors. A director can elevate an average actor, but whatever it is, chemistry is a must.
I think buc was on with Sopranos, just stunning work from A to Z there, but in order to change things up, I'll venture of my normal nominees, although I think listing most of them would qualify here.
I'm going with Deadwood. Such a presence from the smallest role, really a top cast IMO.

TheNorm

Day 20
Favorite series finale

Friday Night Lights - I thought the ending for this underrated series was perfect. Did an incredible job of completing story arcs for almost every single one of the major characters in the series, and it ended in a satisfying fashion.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Well, I've talked about the finale of this series multiple times already, so yeah, Six Feet Under. To say too much would be to spoil it, but suffice to say it perfectly wraps up the story, stays true to the themes and the tone and provides the perfect goodbye to these characters.

Crewe

Deter!
lol just kidding.
This is a toughie but again, ill veer outside my normal choices n this thread by saying Newhart.
Its the simplest most clever finish Ive ever seen. If you aren't familiar, read up. It will be quite brief but absolutely cunning.

TheNorm

Day 21
Most annoying character

Andrea, The Walking Dead - I know they wanted to stray from the comic, but talk about taking all the amazing qualities of her comic counterpart (still alive when I had stopped reading btw) and making her self-centered and unbelievably annoying. So glad they did away with her...and sorry if that's a spoiler to you but that happened five seasons ago. There's a statute of limitations on spoilers lol

BojackHorsefella

AJ Soprano. Privileged little shit.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 25, 2018, 11:44:47 PM
Day 21
Most annoying character

Andrea, The Walking Dead - I know they wanted to stray from the comic, but talk about taking all the amazing qualities of her comic counterpart (still alive when I had stopped reading btw) and making her self-centered and unbelievably annoying. So glad they did away with her...and sorry if that's a spoiler to you but that happened five seasons ago. There's a statute of limitations on spoilers lol

Andrea was absolutely atrocious. She used to be number one, but then Mrs. Walter White took over and then it was Nellie.
By far the worst ever, in any category.

TheNorm

Day 22
Best quote

How I Met Your Mother
This is almost always the first one that pops in my head, from the title character Ted Mosby.

QuoteThat's how it goes kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you're young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That's why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it.

BojackHorsefella

Rick and Morty, courtesy of Morty:

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV. "

rollntider

Day 20
Favorite series finale
Breaking Bad. It ended the way it needed to.

Day 21
Most annoying character
Andrea Walking dead, or Coral Walking dead take your pick

Day 22
Best quote
   "There's an old Italian saying: you f--k up once, you lose two teeth." Tony Soprano - Sopranos

Crewe

Whats shaking norm?

All four cheeks and a couple a chins

---Norm, Cheers

And since Im thinking about it...
Women. Cant live with em, pass the beer nuts.

---Norm, Cheers