News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaima1shu

Quote from: Sakura on November 20, 2017, 01:06:37 PM
Yeah, it was pretty impressive when they did that same scene in X-Men Apocalypse first.  :D

I don't think the scene in Apocalypse holds a candle to how it was executed in Justice League.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, you know, I keep seeing people compare that scene to the one in Apocalypse and they're both so different, both in concerns to the actions being performed, the context and the tone. Apocalypse just gets whupped for a moment and then recovers to break Quicksilver's leg.

Anyways, my son and I are the weirdos who, while acknowledging that Suicide Squad is a terrible FILM and full of plot holes, we were entertained and enjoyed it. It's not Ipsen, but that doesn't automatically mean it's boring or dull.

I felt the same about Justice League. Look, there's no way in hell this movie is worse than Thor: The Dark World. It just isn't. I get the DC hate, I get the movie is an absolute tonal mess, between the cut scenes and Whedon's reshoots. But it's fun. it's enjoyable. I liked it and I know when my son sees it he's going to flip out and enjoy it.

Sakura

Okay, I get that you might have not hated this movie.  But it's no secret that DC's failed movie attempts for the last 10 years have been failures.  They're trying so hard to copy the Marvel in the most formulaic fashion, it's a real surprise that they haven't just tried to merge the movie brands together where Iron Man and Superman end up in a fight.  This movie is considered ANOTHER failure, the only movie that's worked in the DC Cinematic Universe thus far is Wonder Woman.  DC is where movie studios have been for the last 20 years, thinking there's a formula to guarantee a movie's success.  The right actor, the right costume, the right hit song just before the third act with the giant metal spider...

The new X-Men movies have Quicksilver doing this Deus Ex Machina crap, where he moves so fast that everything else is halted and we watch things at a super fast speed.  It's something different for a superhero movie because traditionally you wouldn't see this, you would just see him zipping by and being fast.  It's not conventional.  The FBI scene in Daze of Future Pants, the Mansion Rescue, and even the Apocalypse fight.

Rather than make things traditionally where the Flash is just seen as doing things fast, they decide to try and copy the Quicksilver scenes with super slow mo that only The Flash can move at.  And it's no surprise that Superman watching The Flash with his eyes struck people as being the same as Apocalypse spotting Quicksilver, and how they both countered the super speed with their own power which is at normal speed.  The Avengers had a Quicksilver too, and they didn't copy the X-Men version, they went with traditional Quicksilver where he's just so fast you can't really see him moving.  You can interpret that any way you want, but people aren't just being misguided when they say that DC is really doing their best to try and throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.  Hell, I can even understand why people would compare Cyborg to Iron Man.  In the comics Cyborg doesn't fly, he doesn't have that ability.  But yet in this movie .. yeah, it looks like Iron Man has been copied in another formulaic attempt.  We need to make him quippy, and witty, and brilliant like Tony Stark, because we don't have that in our Cinematic Universe...

People are making the comparisons because it's easy to make them when a company continues to try and copy the competition in desperation.  Because thus far the DCCU is a giant money hole.

BojackHorsefella

Here's my review of Molly's Game, via Letterboxd (you're welcome Crewe)

https://letterboxd.com/bucfever/film/mollys-game/

Crewe

Oh God, Costner infiltrated this flick? jesus that guy....
ok, so no theatre watch for me, thanks dude!

BojackHorsefella

Like I said in the other thread, my opinion appears to be in the minority on this one, but this thing felt almost Lifetime-ish to me.

Crewe

Molly's Game
Jessica Chastain

I heard good things about this flick, but kept my hopes tempered.
The story by itself is quite interesting. An overachieving family where an Olympian is not a novelty but expected. Molly was en route but an injury sidelined her for good.
In possession of a bachelor's degree with sights set on Harvard Law School, she decides to be a bottle service girl in LA where she intends to build a network. This, the movie says, is Molly's strength.
After accepting a second job as an office assistant she discovers her boss runs a highs takes poker game for entertainment heavies.
Molly is thrust into hosting these games that she knows nothing about.
Becoming a quick study she ultimately establishes her own big time game.
The story jumps back and forth in time, from childhood scenes showing resentment for her father played in an awful manner by Kevin Costner.
This becomes the underlying theme behind the main plot which is Molly fighting for herself all the while holding on to the nobility of not naming any of the big time players in her games after being busted by the FBI.
Throughout, we are subjected to Sorkin's rapid repartee between characters, most obvious between Chastain and her attorney Idris Elba, which just doesn't blend well with me. It is extremely quick and witty but not becoming the characters.
We know its a true story, but the way the movie was presented, it just appears that Chastain's Bloom bridges the gap between novice and pro too quickly and too easily. Perhaps thats only a subjective complaint.
All in all, its a good flick shining a light on underground poker games and Molly is certainly a provocative subject but perhaps Sorkin wasn't the best director for this project.

It's worth a watch but I dint find it as riveting as others. It's not really fun like a comedy, nor is it riveting like a thriller, certainly not thought provoking but just sort of interesting.
Chastain does a great job with Sorkin's script as does Elbra, but I just feel like it didnt reach its potential.
I realize thats a blah sort of review but you'll just have to decide for yourself.

3.5/5

TheNorm

Black Panther
Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Angela Bassett

When I first heard that Ryan Coogler (Fruitvale Station, Creed) was directing this film for the MCU, my expectations and excitement for Black Panther went through the roof. I wasn't disappointed. Taking place right after the events of Civil War, T'Challa returns to Wakanda to take his place on the throne. But a man by the name of Erik Killmonger has plans of his own for the hidden nation. Boseman is an amazing T'Challa, while Coogler veteran Jordan turns in a stellar performance as Killmonger. The movie also sheds light on social justice and opens up discussions about what civilized countries could or should do for other nations less fortunate. This may be my new favorite in the MCU, although I may have to give it a few days...and multiple viewings. Go see it, as soon as possible. Infinity War has a lot to live up to.

5 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Watched this one twice on Sunday and loved every minute of it. Awesome characters all around and an amazing villain in Killmonger. Could not recommend this enough.

BojackHorsefella

So I've been using a website called Letterboxd to write movie reviews. Anyone can set up a profile and do reviews, and I think you can make like, end of year lists (or any type of list but that's the go-to) or you know, Favorite Sports Movies or whatever.

Anyway, if there's a new movie out and you're wondering if you should see it, I start with a "Is It Worth It" gimmick that has a simple yes or no answer, and then go into a full review if you require justification for my opinion, which, granted, you probably should because I'm weird.

Anyways, here's a link to my profile if you want to check it out or keep it in mind when a new movie is out:

https://letterboxd.com/Bucfever/

Granted, in the future I think I'll just post the review or the link to the review in this thread, whenever I write a new one. Been a while since I've been to the movies but I've got Pacific Rim, Isle of Dogs (maybe, it's playing in like, ONE theater IN Seattle) and, unfortunately, Ready Player One while my son visits this week.

thaima1shu

Saw Ready Player One yesterday and loved it. Really liked the book as well, though I'm glad they made a few changes for the transition to the big screen. Clearly not high class cinema but it was a very fun and visually stunning action movie.

BojackHorsefella

Endgame: you will probably not be disappointed, if you've stuck with the MCU thus far.

TheNorm

What he said. My god, what a f*cking ride.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

It's uh....4 days later, and I've already dropped Endgame from a 4-star to a 2.5-star on my Letterbox'd review and dropped it 9 spots in my 2019 rankings.

I had a ticket to see it again yesterday and chose not to. The more I think about it, the less and less I like this movie.

Crewe