Main Menu

RIP Thread

Started by rollntider, December 04, 2015, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

rollntider

rollntider

RIP prince, you will be missed.

He wrote the soundtrack to my 7th grade year in middle school.

The next really big album i enjoyed was diamond and pearl

TheNorm

*sigh*
Still can't believe it. This one stings me a little bit more for some reason...I was pretty bummed out when MJ died, and Whitney too. But just another piece of my childhood soundtrack gone. Prince is a legend, and yet another one I never got to see in concert.
Tip for the future: don't put off seeing your favorite artists in concert, thinking there will always be a next time.  :-\
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Bret

Excellent advice. I blew off seeing comedian John Pinette. He dies about four months later :(

Crewe

Saw SRV a few months before he died

Sakura

Quote from: Bret on April 27, 2016, 05:41:26 PM
Excellent advice. I blew off seeing comedian John Pinette. He dies about four months later :(

I didn't even know he was dead til you said it.  Damn.  He was one of my favorites.  Hopefully Stanhope will be around a few more decades.

rollntider

Quote from: Sakura on April 29, 2016, 03:15:03 AM
Quote from: Bret on April 27, 2016, 05:41:26 PM

I didn't even know he was dead til you said it.  Damn.  He was one of my favorites.  Hopefully Stanhope will be around a few more decades.

wow me neither....

TheNorm

Way too many icons leaving in 2016...now The Greatest.  :-[

http://www.si.com/boxing/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-dead-obituary

Growing up, my intro to boxing were guys like Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler...but it was my dad that would say "If only you could've seen Muhammad Ali". He was right-in his prime there was no one better. I loved reading about him, loved seeing his prefight interviews because no one could talk trash like him ("I'm so mean I make medicine sick", "If you even dream of beating me you best wake up and apologize", the list goes on). And his fights? Totally shook up the heavyweight division.
But what I admire even more is what a tireless philanthropist and activist he was, always fighting for what he believed in, even at great personal cost. He was an incredible human being that wanted to make the world better, and he used his gifts to do that. One of my favorite all-time quotes from him is "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth." I can only hope to live up to his standards, and maybe this world's a better place if we all tried to. I don't think we'll ever see anyone like him again, and that's a shame. RIP, Champ...you really are the Greatest of All Time.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 04, 2016, 09:14:26 AM
Way too many icons leaving in 2016...now The Greatest.  :-[

http://www.si.com/boxing/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-dead-obituary

Growing up, my intro to boxing were guys like Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler...but it was my dad that would say "If only you could've seen Muhammad Ali". He was right-in his prime there was no one better. I loved reading about him, loved seeing his prefight interviews because no one could talk trash like him ("I'm so mean I make medicine sick", "If you even dream of beating me you best wake up and apologize", the list goes on). And his fights? Totally shook up the heavyweight division.
But what I admire even more is what a tireless philanthropist and activist he was, always fighting for what he believed in, even at great personal cost. He was an incredible human being that wanted to make the world better, and he used his gifts to do that. One of my favorite all-time quotes from him is "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth." I can only hope to live up to his standards, and maybe this world's a better place if we all tried to. I don't think we'll ever see anyone like him again, and that's a shame. RIP, Champ...you really are the Greatest of All Time.

This!
I love describing to people who aren't fully aware about Ali; imagine doing something you love, truly love, as in your life is designed around this talent. Further imagine you are extremely blessed with this talent and that you achieve the peak of your profession. There is no one better.
And then, believe in a cause so deeply that you speak out and take action, knowing full well you will be stripped of your crowning accomplishment and evicted from your chosen career, your livelihood, your life.
And then, never back down, despite all of the consequences.
That transcends boxing. That is a fucking courageous hero, end of story.

TheNorm

*sigh* One week after losing the GOAT, we lose the greatest hockey player of all time. Gordie Howe, Mr. Hockey, dead at 88. The man was a legend in the hockey community as well as the city of Detroit. Had the honor of meeting this guy a few times, and he was always a nice and genuine human being. He loved to tell stories. RIP, #9...you'll be missed.  :'(

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-dies/85688864/

Crewe

Man, loved to watch him and his boys when they were here with the WHA Aeros. My introduction to hockey by the greatest.
Really enjoyed his book too. Loved the story where Marty I think it was, got into a fight at school because someone bad mouthed his dad (or team, can't recall) and mom was livid. She scolded him and said wait till your father gets home! Mr. Hockey arrived and after mom left the room, dad says, way to go son.
LOL

rollntider

Please say a pray for the families in Orlando who lost loved ones due to the muslim extremist. We have some sick people in the world.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on June 13, 2016, 01:42:30 AM
Please say a pray for the families in Orlando who lost loved ones due to the muslim extremist. We have some sick people in the world.

It truly baffles me how easily some people can end not only a life, but multiple lives.
So much rage in the world.