News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB 17 The Show

Started by TheNorm, May 28, 2017, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Despite my intentions to hold off on purchasing the game this year, I ended up with it on Day One.  :P

Launched right into RTTS again, and instead of carrying my SS over from last year I just created a new one again, although I don't remember who I modeled him after. Drafted by the Rockies, spent the first season in AA/AAA where I got switched to LF (which I hate, but more on that). Somehow made the 25 for year two, but was mainly a bench player for half the season before an injury had me starting on a more regular basis. Finished the season batting around .215, with 6 HR, 21 RBI, and probably a million strikeouts (I'm not patient lol). Was offered another 1 year contract with the Rockies for year 3 and reluctantly took it. I have told my agent though that I want to be back at SS. We'll see what happens; I'm hoping that if I keep mentioning that every time an agent or manager interaction pops up they'll either throw me back to my desired spot...or trade me.

So I really didn't know that for this year there's a pretty high frequency of management wanting your player to switch positions in your rookie season. Supposedly there are things you can do to make sure it doesn't happen (poor points into developing fielding and arm strength, etc during the 10 game position switch), and as a rookie I really didn't feel like telling my manager that no I don't want to switch (maybe next time).

Game as usual is incredible, and I love the ball physics this year - the first time you see the ball curve on a liner into the outfield is pretty damn sweet.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I'm still rocking 2016. I'd want to carry my RTTS guys over, and from what I understand if I did that I'd lose most of the scripted stuff that they added in 17.

My RF got drafted by the Mariners which, considering about a year after I got the game I ended up moving to Seattle, is pretty amusing.

My closing pitcher (I like to play quick games) got drafted by the Diamondbacks. Oddly, he got moved up to Triple A, was doing great, and got bumped down to AA before the end of the first season. My RF is a starter on the Mariners despite his numbers being a bit low.

Crewe

I have my main guy (10th year CF) my next guy project (4th year SS) and a 3rd year pitcher which I rarely use because I hate the algorithm.
I ported over my SS because I wanted to see how it was accepted and the first thing I noticed was his attributes increased. The very first thing I noticed was his speed. I had him at moderate, but in my first game I could tell he was faster so I set that guy aside and havent been back to see what really changed.
Instead I created a catcher in order to capture the features of the game. I like this version of the catcher much much better. Used to be you had to play every pitch in RTTS, but not now so its a lot more fun.
Ive been going with this one so much, I havent even brought in my 10 year guy whos the main one I wanted to focus on in this edition lol

TheNorm

I may legit throw a party any time I actually draw a walk. I'd say drink, but if I did that I'd probably never be able to touch alcohol again.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I'm in my 3rd year and apparently can't see the ball at all during spring training right now. I'm batting below .200. I'll get a little streaky hitting, and then go 0-20 after.

BojackHorsefella

The most annoying thing isn't even the strikeouts. it's the lame groundouts. My timing on the swing will be good (especially when using Showtime) but then the ball doesn't even get out of the infield.

Crewe

is your guy at AA or AAA? if so, thats normal, its part of the progression, just stick with it  :-)
hey norm, I hear you about the walks lol
not to sound condescending, but if you watch the ball right out of the pitchers hand, you can pick up a FB right away based on the trajectory.
Any other non FB pitch is going to have some sort of trajectory which is easier to pick up, even changeups, although arm angle and pitcher talent can obviously disguise it very well. So essentially, like real baseball lol
Also, I almost almost always take the first pitch. The only time I dont is when I somehow know its going to be a meatball. many times it might be a strike and if it is, take the second pitch because odds are greater its going to be a ball and you still have the advantage being deeper into the AB.
See if that works with some walks or at least getting you better pitchers.
And all this isnt to suggest I dont do my best Harmon Killebrew imitations either lol

BojackHorsefella

I made it to the majors in year 2 somehow (I guess they really felt the Mariners RF was a wasteland) but now I'm worried about getting sent down.

My closing pitcher climbed up to AAA, but then after year 1 was traded by the Diamondbacks, traded AGAIN and traded one more time to....I forget who. Maybe the ChiSox but I don't really remember because I was pissed because they sent him back down to AA and I haven't played as him since.

BojackHorsefella

Here's a question: what difficulty do you guys play on? I let it do it's variable thing and my hitting always takes a noticeable decrease once I hit "Hall of Fame." Usually it'll drop back to All-Star, I'll get on a hot streak, hit HoF and then struggle. But I don't want to keep it at All-Star and have it be too easy either.

I'm an MLB mess.

Crewe

lol I cant recall what level I am, but I dont use variable. I pick a level and tweak the sliders to make adjustments so its not too easy as you note, or too hard for that matter.
Things like accuracy of pitches...cant recall what else, but in the slider modifications, the ones I tweak are all right after one another, about three or four of them and Im sure pitcher accuracy is one, so you could find it that way.
Next time I fire up the game, Ill look and give you a definitive answer if still needed :-)

I havent been back to my pitcher either. I want to, but I just get so tired of being shelled. And I get it, major leagues and all that, but its frustrating when youre in a spot and a 200 hitter fouls off pitch after pitch and you throw a perfect pitch right on the border and he lays off, because somehow he just knew that was going to be a ball despite fouling off ten other great pitches in the zone.
This happening once, twice, three times even would be fine, but time and time and time again beyond that? Nope, Im done.

BojackHorsefella

See, I wasn't getting shelled often. I wasn't perfect but I was better as a pitcher than as a batter, haha.

I get what you're saying about some of those pitching battles though. The worst for me is just the location. I'll feel like I'm nailing the spot sliding meter, especially when the Yellow part gets bigger when your pitcher is feeling confident, and I get it right in the middle, and then I throw the pitch and say, I'm throwing low and outside, the pitch goes down the middle or high and inside and I'm just left wondering why?

Crewe

Yup you feel my pain lol

TheNorm

I used dynamic difficulty up until it kept fluctuating between HOF and whatever is right below it (All-Star?), then just locked it in at All-Star.

BojackHorsefella

I'm on All-Star per the Dynamic settings right now, just started the 2019 season and am currently batting .207. Tried to use Crewe's advice about watching the release point but I still suck, clearly.

Did have a three run homer in my first game though.

Crewe

That was a hard earned HR!
Hitting is tough, takes practice but you'll get there.
did you try any modifying of the sliders? I remember I did that, and as I got better, I returned them to where they were.