News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

To quit or to stay?

Started by amckenzie, August 04, 2017, 02:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amckenzie

When you consider a job toxic? I have actually been demotivated the past few days, I don't feel like doing it anymore. I have some pending applications online and I am ready to undergo a series of interview to have a new job. Should I quit or stress the sh*t out of me?

Crewe

Rule number one, never quit a job until you have another.
That said, if it's just a few days, I'd lit stew and see if it really is the job. Are there other stress factors in your life contributing to the situation you may not have identified yet?
The short answer is yes, look for other options if your job seriously affects your happiness.
I did it. Walked away from a job I most certainly couldn't have been fired from if I tried. I left five weeks of annual vacation and more money for what was a much less stressful and better opportunity. I'd just be sure it is the job and again, please don't quit until you have another one.
Good luck.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 04, 2017, 06:57:19 AM
That said, if it's just a few days, I'd lit stew and see if it really is the job. Are there other stress factors in your life contributing to the situation you may not have identified yet?
The short answer is yes, look for other options if your job seriously affects your happiness.
I did it. Walked away from a job I most certainly couldn't have been fired from if I tried. I left five weeks of annual vacation and more money for what was a much less stressful and better opportunity. I'd just be sure it is the job and again, please don't quit until you have another one.
Good luck.

This, all of this...especially rule number one. I didn't follow that one and I got burned.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

I learned a few things over the years with work.

1. If you're going to leave, do it graciously.  Try not to burn bridges.  It's really easy to burn bridges, but don't if you can avoid it.
2. Consider how much you dislike your job, and then consider how much you would hate working elsewhere.  I don't mean "any other job," I mean your other potential job prospects.  If you're not qualified for something, don't use it as the comparison.
3. What you don't like about your job might be situational, what is it that's causing you to loathe your job?  Can you deal with it and get rid of the problem?
4. If all else fails, tell your boss that in 2 weeks, he'll notice you haven't been here in 2 weeks.  Then leave.

Keep in mind, these 4 talking points I just mentioned are things I learned by doing things the wrong way.  When I was working my first job I thought I hated it so much, but there's nothing worse than intentionally getting yourself fired .. and then realizing how much better that job was than what you're doing now.  ::)

rollntider

Good luck.

I agree with the rest of what he said, but this right here more than anything.

Crewe

Quote from: Sakura on August 05, 2017, 02:18:48 PM
I learned a few things over the years with work.

1. If you're going to leave, do it graciously.  Try not to burn bridges.  It's really easy to burn bridges, but don't if you can avoid it.
2. Consider how much you dislike your job, and then consider how much you would hate working elsewhere.  I don't mean "any other job," I mean your other potential job prospects.  If you're not qualified for something, don't use it as the comparison.
3. What you don't like about your job might be situational, what is it that's causing you to loathe your job?  Can you deal with it and get rid of the problem?
4. If all else fails, tell your boss that in 2 weeks, he'll notice you haven't been here in 2 weeks.  Then leave.

Keep in mind, these 4 talking points I just mentioned are things I learned by doing things the wrong way.  When I was working my first job I thought I hated it so much, but there's nothing worse than intentionally getting yourself fired .. and then realizing how much better that job was than what you're doing now.  ::)

Ill pile on with number one here too. The world may not seem small enough for a burned bridge to haunt you, but it certainly could

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on August 05, 2017, 08:40:37 PM

Good luck.

I agree with the rest of what he said, but this right here more than anything.
I think we all learned that one the hard way at one time or another lol

amckenzie

Thank you guys for enlightening me with your great thoughts, I appreciate it.  :-[