Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaima1shu

I'm with Norm on both of those movies.

BojackHorsefella

Weirdos.

Let me further ruin my creditibility, then, and recommend Uncle Drew. Don't expect much from it, but think of it like a 90 minute SNL skit and you can temper your expectations accordingly. But it's fun, got some heart to it, and it's worth it for some of the more tailored to the NBA jokes.

TheNorm

Uncle Drew looks hilarious and has been on my list to see.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Mission Impossible: Fallout

I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, so the hype levels for this were through the roof. Expectations were met and somehow wildly exceeded. The action and stunts in this one were so suspenseful and well done. Tom Cruise continues to step it up with each one and you can tell how much he puts into these. It's really impressive how he does so many of these stunts himself. The story/writing were solid as well. Overall, this is one of my favorite action movies I've ever seen.

BojackHorsefella

I cannot wait to see this. I keep seeing it compared to Mad Max: Fury Road, because apparently the first 10 minutes set up the story and stakes, and the rest is just pure action.

Which, considering it's all recurring characters from the last movie, including the bad guy, that makes sense. We know who they are and what they want already, so just set them out to do it. Brilliant.

That being said, apparently MoviePass is blocking all showings right now. Partially (mostly?) because they don't have any cash to cover the ticket costs, I ALSO believe they may have been trying to show movie theaters how much they need MoviePass, but considering Fallout is already doing gangbusters at the box office that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways. I opened the app and it's still blocked today. I've got 6 movies I have to see this week with kiddo before he leaves on Sunday (Teen Titans Go, Blindspotting, The Meg (early screening at Alderwood Mall), Christopher Robin and The Miseducation of Cameron Post), so I'm aiming for Thursday for Fallout hoping MoviePass will quit being dicks. If not, I'll switch to AMC A-List that day, since my MoviePass expires in November anyway (and I refuse to pay for surge pricing if I sign back up, so that wasn't gonna happen anyway).

Although, with MoviePass looking like it's about to die, I have 0 idea what to do for kiddo (I bought him his own MoviePass back in, January or February, I think). He has no AMC near him in Myrtle Beach and the only other option is Sinemia, which is like $35 a month for 3 tickets. In SC, where he can get a ticket for like, 7 or 8 dollars, that's not a good deal.

Crewe

Ok, everyone chime in and give me one good movie suggestion for this weekend.
Can be anything. If its a series, id prefer to go to the beginning, unless Ive seen it already.

BojackHorsefella

Blindspotting. No hesitation. My movie of the year right now.

Crewe

I should have clarified, a stay at home movie.
So I picked BladeRunner 2049
Such a visually stunning picture.The world was especially well crafted without being overstated such as the prequel SW films. On top of that, the story was immersive, and, Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, that should be enough. But add Robin Wright and Jared Leto and you have a deeper cast to tell this amazing story.
Unlike most sequels, this one felt like it wrote itself naturally, just an instinctive cycle of humans, not forced or amped up in any fashion.
The first Blade Runner was panned somewhat because it was expected to be an action flick and the so called mundane nature of the film didn't still well with some critics or fans but, later and deservedly so, it became so well received because it wasn't a popcorn action flick. Well, 2049 holds to that same standard.
Ill also add that when you see this one, assuming you saw the original, the worlds also seem to naturally blend. Going back to the SW example. We saw EP IV, then along came EP I and your first thought was, the same worlds don't even look the same now, no continuity. BR holds that thread between films IMO.
Watch the first one if you haven't, then watch this one. If you have seen the original, watch it again, then watch this one

BojackHorsefella

I liked 2049. Felt it was a bit long and I'm not sure it had the same focus as the first film, but like you said, visually it was absolutely stunning and a seamless transition from its predecessor, and of course all of the acting is on point.

When kiddo and I saw Dunkirk, we saw it in 70mm film at the Cinerama in Seattle, and they played a 2049 trailer. Made me REALLY wish they'd had a film version of that come out because it looked amazing up there on the screen.

Crewe

Crewe

Tomb Raider (2018)

First things first, this was a better film than the Jolie version IMO.
That said, this was still an average movie. Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina) was quite good as Lara and handled the action well. She was believable as the young Croft but the story let her down as did some of the special effects.
It started out on a high note, but it just sloped downhill from then on with a few saving grace scenes peppered in here and there.
Despite some tense moments, albeit cliche ones, the movie just left me sorta meh. I didn't hate it, but Vikander was the best thing about it, although McNulty brought some weight to it as well.

3/5

BojackHorsefella

Saw BlacKKKlansman on Saturday. It was very good and everyone should go see it. That is all.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on August 11, 2018, 10:55:16 PM
Tomb Raider (2018)

First things first, this was a better film than the Jolie version IMO.
That said, this was still an average movie. Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina) was quite good as Lara and handled the action well. She was believable as the young Croft but the story let her down as did some of the special effects.
It started out on a high note, but it just sloped downhill from then on with a few saving grace scenes peppered in here and there.
Despite some tense moments, albeit cliche ones, the movie just left me sorta meh. I didn't hate it, but Vikander was the best thing about it, although McNulty brought some weight to it as well.

3/5

will add this to the watch list then

Crewe

I guess I could look it up, but Ill just ask, whats the order I should watch the MU films?
Ive seen a couple, the last being Civil War I think, Iron Man v Captain America. Any that I can skip? I know theres a shitload of them and don't think I need to see every single one, do I?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on August 21, 2018, 12:16:56 PM
I guess I could look it up, but Ill just ask, whats the order I should watch the MU films?
Ive seen a couple, the last being Civil War I think, Iron Man v Captain America. Any that I can skip? I know theres a shitload of them and don't think I need to see every single one, do I?

So, as far as, if you were to watch all of them, I'd say just do it in order. Obviously with the after-credit scenes and some times little snippets that pull from the movies that came before, it just makes sense to do so.

As far as any you can skip...honestly, Thor II is pretty awful although it does introduce one of the Infinity Stones. Also Dr. Strange is pretty forgettable as a whole but it too introduces an Infinity Stone, actually has a clever ending and Strange ended up being one of the best elements of Infinity War.

Iron Man 2 is pretty skippable, I think. No infinity stone in that one, it introduces Black Widow but besides that...........there's not really much consequential. Unless you want to know how Rhodey becomes War Machine. Although the scene with the suitcase armor is still one of the MCU's best.