News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Race relations

Started by rollntider, November 02, 2015, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20151028-dorothy-bland-i-was-caughtwalking-while-black.ece

with all of the crap that is going on today, from one extreme  to another, with the false hoods of hands up don't shoot (the ferguson officer was found to be telling the truth after the kid robbed the store), to the poor man that was choked out by by NYPD for selling cigerettes (granted a misdemenor but no reason to lose a life over), to the Freddie Gray death....

We have miss liar liar pants on fire.

Crewe

The sad thing is, there are valid, horrid offenses by both sides, and each side clings to those examples honoring their proof as righteous while ignoring the other. In this country, no matter what the topic is, its extreme vs extreme with closed mindedness, intolerance and ignorance reigning supreme.
People will not unite for the common good over anything, ever.
Cynical? Perhaps. But its also true up to now with no end in sight.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on November 03, 2015, 01:24:16 AM
The sad thing is, there are valid, horrid offenses by both sides, and each side clings to those examples honoring their proof as righteous while ignoring the other. In this country, no matter what the topic is, its extreme vs extreme with closed mindedness, intolerance and ignorance reigning supreme.
People will not unite for the common good over anything, ever.
Cynical? Perhaps. But its also true up to now with no end in sight.

We united over 9-11. It slowly deteriorated after that.

Crewe

Yea, thousands dead by an attack on our soil and we held hands for what, six months? Then the venom resurfaced.
Oh, wait, 9/11 did give us an extra song in the 7th inning stretch, so theres that
:D

Sakura

QuoteKnowing that the police officers are typically armed with guns and are a lot bigger than my 5 feet, 4 inches, I had no interest in my life's story playing out like Trayvon Martin's death. I stopped and asked the two officers if there was a problem; I don't remember getting a decent answer before one of the officers asked me where I lived and for identification.

Healthy mindset going into it, assuming that you're a victim and you're about to be shot and killed.  In fact, reading through this whole thing, it sounds like someone who IS looking for trouble in the opposite way.  Instead of simply answering the question, you gotta write that blog post, and start dropping names of people who died in altercations of varying types (including Trayvon, who was killed by a man [in self defense, according to a legally rendered verdict] who isn't even a police officer, so what a ridiculous comparison there).

And she's walking in the street facing away from traffic when there are sidewalks.  So it's jaywalking.  But I think they probably stopped her because she was acting strange flinging her arms in the air the way she was.

Crewe

Thats part of the uprising. There is a sub culture dedicated to bringing down the cops, regardless of facts, right or wrong, cops are bad. I agree she appears to have that mindset, especially after reading all of the facts. Dont get me wrong, in my lifetime, i have seen a significant shift for the worse in police attitudes, procedures, politics and punishment. However, you would hope people would use common sense and morals of a reasonable person to judge the situation. The fact we dont just reiterates my point