News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

I'm hooked, which I expected to be. I love anthology shows. Black Mirror, Easy on Netflix (highly recommended), Room 104 on HBO. But of course, Twilight Zone is an absolute classic.

Crewe

man, I haven't watched the Twilight Zone in decades

TheNorm

I usually catch quite a few of the episodes during SyFy's NYE marathon...not a bad way to spend part of the day.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Anyone here a fan of The Wire?
Im on my 3rd time through and I really appreciate the depth of the storytelling.
The first time I tried to watch, I was about two episodes in and dumped it. After about a year I started over and stuck with it, which you have to do because it is an unbelievably slow burn. Id suggest turning on subtitles your first time if you are not tuned in to the urban lingo lol
Sopranos, Deadwood and The Wire are my top 3. Many include The Shield up there but Ive only been through it one time. I would run it in my top 5 right now.

TheNorm

Love The Wire! Easily one of HBO's best shows.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Might have to give the wire a shot. I am almost done with season 2 of 6 feet.

Spoiler
I hate Nate's GF/ Fiance` with a passion, she fucks anything and gets pissed at him for a one time indiscretion. I hope they dont get married. Its a good show but they are not consistent in my book. Seems like you can go several episodes without a dead person hallucination then you have several.

Crewe

ive got to get back to six feet, Ill be starting season 2.
id be interested to hear your thoughts on the wire if you give it a look

BojackHorsefella

Never seen The Wire, although I have heard that it hasn't aged well. Is that an accurate statement, do you think?

Crewe

People say that because the Wire references wiretaps and the show starts out tracking gangsters using pagers and pay phones, so in that respect, yes and thats fair. But its also missing the point, which is how the wire progresses with technology and ultimately the star is overlooked which is the city of Baltimore and its institutions as well as those of our society.
If you despise paint by number traditional prime time tv and have the patience, The Wire may be for you. And if you make it through once, you'll then like it more as you re watch, ala most of the top tier programs.
That of course, is only my opinion.

TheNorm

I was really apprehensive at first when it was announced, but Cobra Kai was impressive. I was worried they were going to make a mockery of the original source material, but they treated it with respect and this was a smart, well written show.

BojackHorsefella

Hi everyone, I am here to tell you, quite simply, to watch HBO's "Barry," with Bill Hader, because it's easily the best show on TV right now.

TheNorm

Relevant because I finally started watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine this year...of course. The shot at MSU hoops in this post cushions the blow a little bit. :D

https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/994770088837382144

rollntider

Lost in space is a decent show. Its not the best, but it was good.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 06, 2018, 09:50:42 PM
I was really apprehensive at first when it was announced, but Cobra Kai was impressive. I was worried they were going to make a mockery of the original source material, but they treated it with respect and this was a smart, well written show.

I just saw the trailer for this. Interesting. Worth a watch?

Anyone watched or heard about Killer Eve?

BojackHorsefella

I've seen people rave about Killing Eve online and on Twitter. Girl and I finished Barry last night (well, it was the season finale last night), so I think we may pick that up.

Also, seriously guys, watch Barry. It was only 8 episodes and absolutely incredible.