News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

John Madden

Started by TheNorm, December 29, 2021, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32953839/nfl-hall-fame-coach-broadcasting-icon-john-madden-dies-85

Some knew him as a legendary coach in the AFL and NFL, winning a Super Bowl. Some (like me), got their introduction to John Madden through his appearances in Miller Lite commercials, and they were amazing. Many more got to know him through his broadcast work, and he may very well be the only broadcaster that successfully made the transition from coaching to the booth...no one's done it like him since. And yet another generation knows him simply through the name stamped on the video game franchise which was absolutely groundbreaking when it debuted for being the first to be true 11 on 11 football (the only way John Madden would allow his name to be put on the game was if it was that way).

Rest in peace, Coach. You were one of the best.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Agree, and it saddens me, is that the right word? maybe disappoints, but the fact that many young gamers have no idea he was in fact a football player, a good one at that, and a great coach.
Madden was a huge cornerstone of my football and gaming culture. He will be missed.

And is that wasnt enough, Dan Reeves just passed away too.

rollntider

Hard to believe he is gone. Mad was truly a legend.
I knew him through commercials and video games and broadcasting.
I was so young when he coached, and i didnt keep up with football if it didnt have Bear Bryant in it, or Tom Landry.

RIP coach