News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on March 01, 2019, 10:52:50 AM
If you have Netflix do your self a favor and watch the umbrella academy.  It is a very well done superhero show that is somewhere between the campy feel of the DC shows and gritty feel of the Marvel show.  For a brief explanation, it's a dysfunctional x-men.

Fiancee and I just finished this last night. I enjoyed it, some people are out there acting like it's the greatest thing to ever be on TV and I think THAT'S a bit too high of praise, but it was definitely an enjoyable show. A few things are hit and miss, and you do have to shut your brain off (I mean, one of them can time travel and time travel in just about ANY story always makes people go "but what if....").

But yeah, the cinematography and especially the conclusion were really great. I am looking forward to it if they decide to continue it with another season.

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 01, 2019, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: Rigg44 on March 01, 2019, 10:52:50 AM
If you have Netflix do your self a favor and watch the umbrella academy.  It is a very well done superhero show that is somewhere between the campy feel of the DC shows and gritty feel of the Marvel show.  For a brief explanation, it's a dysfunctional x-men.

Fiancee and I just finished this last night. I enjoyed it, some people are out there acting like it's the greatest thing to ever be on TV and I think THAT'S a bit too high of praise, but it was definitely an enjoyable show. A few things are hit and miss, and you do have to shut your brain off (I mean, one of them can time travel and time travel in just about ANY story always makes people go "but what if....").

But yeah, the cinematography and especially the conclusion were really great. I am looking forward to it if they decide to continue it with another season.

Not the best thing ever, I agree but it's pretty good.  All super hero shows require a bit of brain shut off.  They are fiction after all.

Crewe

I just blew through Russian Doll. I would have ignored it based on the trailers but a friend who has similar taste to me suggested it so I plowed through the brief 8 episode season.
It raises some interesting questions while avoiding the Groundhog Day feel which is what the trailer expressed to me.
Give it a look and hit me with your thoughts.

BojackHorsefella

I've been wanting to watch that, I've heard good things.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on March 01, 2019, 04:48:51 PM
I've been wanting to watch that, I've heard good things.

I liked it. id be interested in other opinions as well

Rigg44

Russian doll is on my to do list.

rollntider

TheNorm

Finished The Defenders last night and enjoyed it, now to jump in to Daredevil. Yeah, I know I'm late.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

You should like it.  I think of all the Netflix marvel properties Daredevil was the best with Jessica Jones being a close second.

rollntider

Quote from: Rigg44 on March 06, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
You should like it.  I think of all the Netflix marvel properties Daredevil was the best with Jessica Jones being a close second.
I liked Daredevil the best and Jessica Jones the least LOL. Luke cage I thought was the 2nd best. Jessica Jones had her moments though.

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on March 07, 2019, 12:37:44 AM
Quote from: Rigg44 on March 06, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
I liked Daredevil the best and Jessica Jones the least LOL. Luke cage I thought was the 2nd best. Jessica Jones had her moments though.

LOL well, at least we agree on which is best. I liked Luke cage but struggled to finish it.  It seemed to drag in the middle. 

TheNorm

Should clarify, jump into the third season of Daredevil (first two seasons were incredible). Had to finish off Defenders first since it leads into where we find Murdock at the beginning of the last season.

Will probably check out Punisher after that since I haven't seen either season. Same with Jessica Jones (love Krysten Ritter) and Luke Cage. Probably gonna skip Iron Fist completely because the dude annoyed me lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

Quote from: TheNorm on March 07, 2019, 11:33:27 AM
Should clarify, jump into the third season of Daredevil (first two seasons were incredible). Had to finish off Defenders first since it leads into where we find Murdock at the beginning of the last season.

Will probably check out Punisher after that since I haven't seen either season. Same with Jessica Jones (love Krysten Ritter) and Luke Cage. Probably gonna skip Iron Fist completely because the dude annoyed me lol.

Punisher is good.  The first season much better than the second but both watchable. I agree about the guy in Iron fist but I wanted all the story so I watched it.  The second season of Iron fist is much better than the first INMO.

BojackHorsefella

I have finally begun to watch The Office for the first time in my life. That is all.

Crewe

haha Im curious on your thoughts. You are either with it or against it, Ive never seen anyone in the middle.
And FWIW, get through the first short season ASAP because like most series, they were finding direction.

I usually have one light sitcom type series and one heavy drama Im watching at once. Right now its Frasier (which I started immediately after finishing a rewatch of Cheers) and I just began Mad Men.
I had started it years ago, ala the Wire, and left off after about 4 episodes and now Im back in it and will see how it goes.