News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The BSB Guest DJ Project

Started by TheNorm, April 10, 2018, 04:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Before I begin, I'm giving all due credit to my friend Liz for introducing this topic to me...for a more in-depth look at what it is and to see what her songs are, click this link below.

https://lizzleontheweb.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/my-guest-dj-project-project/

Giving credit to her simply because unlike her I couldn't give two shits about podcasts...but I do love music. And I never would've known about this if not for her. But anyway, what they do on the Guest DJ Project is interview various people from different walks of life in the public eye and ask them to talk about songs that interest them in some way, whether it's just a damn good song or whether the song reminds them of a specific moment in their life.

Which brings me to here, because while I know our numbers are pretty limited I know damn well you all love music too and we all love talking about it. I also know we've all got that song that hits us in a way. So now I'm asking you to share those songs with me. While I'd thought about limiting it to five songs and keeping it with the spirit of the project, I think our numbers can support a little bit more so I'm bumping it up to eight...and not that I really have to worry about it here, but no bashing of other selections-everyone's got their reason for picking the song that is personal to them. Personally, I love hearing the stories behind the choices. Once we get enough I'll compile them into a playlist that you can link to anytime you like...and to paraphrase what my friend said, at the very least you'll hear your eight songs. At best, you'll discover some new favorites or some long forgotten gems. So without further ado, let's jump right in.  :popcorn:

1. Debbie Gibson - "Only In My Dreams"
This song just reminds me of the summer and early fall of 1987; I'd spent most of the summer in the Philippines with family right before starting high school, and anytime I hear this it brings me back to that summer...plus it was just damn catchy.

2. Elton John - "Tiny Dancer"
Simply reminds me of a girl...relationship only lasted a couple of months but she would sing this quite a bit, with the first time being an inebriated serenade. Still think about her from time to time, but it wasn't meant to be.

3. Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back"
Back when I used to play bass on a regular basis, this was one of the first songs I wanted to learn - the bass line had me hooked and listening to the song in a completely different way. Awesome song on its own, but once I started listening for that bass more often it made me appreciate the song even more.

4. N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton"
Once again, going back to high school for this...I used to listen to a lot of pop and even the R&B and rap I had listened to was pretty safe for radio. Then this dropped and it blew my mind. Picked up the album as soon as I possibly could, and it reminds me of listening to it with headphones because there was no way in hell I could play this at home without my parents flipping out haha.

5. Prince - "Controversy"
My introduction to Prince started with this jam, and it's always been one of my favorites...there's no way I could leave Prince off this list and it's a damn good song.

6. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories - "Stay"
Summer of 94 during undergrad, a group of us went to Tempe and the campus of Arizona State for a two week conference...and also during this time I turned 21. :) Some of us went out to a bar to celebrate and while I don't remember much of that night or even keep in touch with anyone that was there, I do remember loudly belting out this song on the ride back to the hotel we were staying at. Anytime this song pops up (and I freely admit liking this song), I think about that too.

7. Taylor Swift - "Blank Space"
This song will always remind me of my last significant relationship, and to this day in the rare times we do talk we're still not sure if the song could refer more to her or to me. "Darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream" definitely leans more toward me though...sorry Katie. :)

8. Toad the Wet Sprocket - "All I Want"
You know that one song that no matter how many times you hear it you could still listen to it over and over and not get sick of it? This is one of them. That and I just love this band.

Absolutely looking forward to seeing what's next.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Specifically got on my girlfriend's laptop to do this rather than my phone. That's how you know this is serious. In...mostly chronological order, probably.

1. Green Day - Basket Case

This, along with The Offspring's "Come Out and Play" and "Self-Esteem" are like, the earliest three songs I can remember hearing as a kid. Come Out and Play and Self-Esteem get fairly played out (along with most of the "hit" Offspring songs), but Basket Case is one that, somehow, never wore out its welcome for me. I'm not a fan of Green Day and don't really like any of their much-praised work from American Idiot onwards, but this is truly a classic of the genre and a song I usually don't change the station on because it's just on so little these days, but it's time for a revival.

2. Chevelle - Forfeit

Ok, stay with me here now. Linkin Park and Hoobastank were early high school listens for me, along with Adema. So many songs there that, at the time, were mind blowing to me. I mean, Crawling? Unbelievable.

The thing is, it was my friends who got me into those bands. Sure, I'd heard them on the radio, but I didn't really buy a lot of CDs and even when I burned CDs (It was 2001, shut up), it tended to be more like playlists than actual CDs of any one band.

Then came Chevelle. I heard "Send the Pain Below" and "The Red" on the radio, but my friends didn't really get hooked as much as I did. So, when I got the CD and listened through, it was the first time I was really discovering a band for myself. Turned out, as much as I loved those songs, they weren't even my favorite on the CD. "I want to fight to prove I'm right" was a pretty powerful line for high school me, as silly as that may seem now.

3. Marilyn Manson - The Last Tour On Earth

(Make a note Norm: this is the live version from The Last Tour On Earth CD).

I'm skipping over another band by going to Manson. It's not the first time that Manson is leapfrogging Nine Inch Nails either, because his latest CDs have been exceptional while Trent's been...well, he hasn't been that good since going sober, but at least he has his health.

This was my favorite Manson song for a while. I know what you might be thinking - and maybe this is why I put it on here to begin with, subconsciously - but I used to play this for people without telling them who it was and told them to guess. Naturally, 0 guessed Manson. The acoustic guitar, the lack of anything shocking in the lyrics...this is truly Manson stripped down and at his simple best. Yeah, I like the other stuff, it's fun and some of the songs are incredible (my actual favorite song is Coma White, from the Mechanical Animals CD). This, though, is just good music.

4. Clint Mansell - Together We Will Live Forever

Yup, I'm putting an instrumental track on there. I loved The Fountain, I still do, it's my favorite movie. It's odd and different and it's all about death which, as you may have noticed in the 30 Days of TV thread, I'm all about movies and TV that explore the inevitably of death as I attempt to make sense of it all myself.

So, here comes a movie that tackles that very subject, all scored by the brilliant Clint Mansell. You'll know his work from Lux Aeterna, off the Requiem For a Dream soundtrack (and I believe later remixed for the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers soundtrack), as well as most Darren Aronofsky films (Noah, Black Swan, MAYBE Mother but I don't think so) and even Mass Effect 3. The song just has such a balance to it, finding equal lows for it's rare highs. It's soothing, comforting, at a time when the movie needs it to be, and dazzling just the same. I can't get enough of it. I've loved it since the movie came out.

Holy crap, halfway done.

5. Kanye West - Bound 2

Cheating a bit here. Yeah, this would be right about where I started listening to Kanye, but I'm fast forwarding a few years to when this CD, "Yeezus" released. Everyone loved Dark Skinhead, and Bound 2 got a lot of love as well (especially when the video was parodied by James Franco and Seth Rogen, I believe). The song is all over the place and yet every piece of music feels connected, all while Kanye vocalizes (I've never minded his use of autotune. Sometimes you have to know your limits. Plus, he always tries to do a little differently each time he uses it. This has been brought to you by the guy whose favorite Kanye CD is "808s and Heartbreak.")

The use of the trumpets is intense, all while Kanye's voice fluctuates from high to low and the music follows. This song takes you through dips and hills, bends and curves, it flips you upside down and sets you straight again. No, I don't know what all of that means either, but that's how this song makes me feel. Push play, go for a ride.

6. Brand New - Jesus Christ

Brand New's first 3 CDs really shaped a lot of my life. Or, at least, were a genuinely large part of it. My now ex-wife, she used to play the same damn 3 songs ALL OF THE TIME. I hated Brand New, I despised them. Then, I went to boot camp, and because my ex-wife played the same damn 3 songs all of the time, I had those songs perfectly remembered than even music I liked. It helped me get through.

Having Borderline Personality Disorder, I've done a lot of shitty things and have not always been a really good person. I connected with Brand New's lyrics to a large degree. Jesse Lacey does a playful, menacing sort of terror with his music, especially on "Deja Entendu" and "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me." It was something I connected with, which yes, doesn't sound good, but it was good knowing I wasn't the only one. Especially someone that was now a famous musician, if they could turn their life around and focus, then I could too.

Of course, earlier last year, we now learned that the lead singer of Brand New is actually a pedophile. Music changes, over time, and with time sometimes the context does too. I can't listen to Brand New anymore. I don't want to believe I ever connected with someone like that. The fact remains though, that I did, for a long time, and his music was very important to me in my development of who I am now. So, I submit to you, Jesus Christ, which is a fairly standard "will I get to Heaven" song although quite a bit more cynical and certainly one where the singer does not trust himself to do the right thing.

7. The Airborne Toxic Event - The Graveyard Near the House

I have a weird relationship with TATE. The first listen to any of their CDs, I'm always "meh." Second, I start to come around. Third, and I think it's perfect.

This song was on their second album, "All At Once." It plays right after "All I Ever Wanted," an incredible song in it's own right. Graveyard Near the House is back to that stripped down sound that I like so much. A lovely little guitar and the lead singer's prose. It paints a wonderful picture. This used to be "our song" for my ex-wife and I. Then it was "our song" for my ex-fiancee and I. My girlfriend of two years and future fiancee once the damn ring is ready has never heard this song.

8. Childish Gambino - Heartbeat

Holy crap we got to 8 fast. Ugh, I'm missing The National. I'm missing Future Islands. I'm missing...Run the Jewels! Catfish and the Bottlemen, who are currently my favorite band! What is happening?!

The crazy part is, I just heard Childish Gambino AND this song, for the first time, just a few weeks back. Early March.

It's a great song to go with, because, I just heard it recently, and it truly sums up the past....wow, 6 years basically for me. I've taken you through high school, a brief sojourn to college, birth of a son, a Naval deployment and dismissal, a divorce, 6 relationships, a cross country move to Seattle and here, to the very day I'm typing this sentence out, all through 8 songs, with the 7th being circa 2010, 2011ish. So the 8 has to cover 2012 to now.

It does that. It covers the now because, like I said, I heard it recently. It covers the past because this is PRECISELY the guy I was. "Hey, I want you right now, lets do this" to "Now that I have you, I don't want you" to "Now that you're with this other dude, I'm jealous and I'm going to get you back." I was that guy for THREE years in a relationship with someone. We must have broken up 20 different times, for months at a time sometimes but we'd always get back. Then I proposed. Then we broke up. Then we got back together. Then we broke up for the last time.

That's what I remember when I listen to this. It reminds me of how far I've come. Yeah, I was an asshole and I'll always be apologizing for my past, but at least I'm not this guy anymore. Throughout the song Donald Glover is going back and forth on this girl. He's texting her while he knows she's with her new man, and then gets pissed when she doesn't respond. When she finally ends things with him, he gets mad, screaming at her, and tells her he wishes they never had sex in the first place, trying to insult and degrade her and make her regretful. Immediately though, he contradicts himself, saying no he doesn't because she says the craziest things during sex. He thought she couldn't let go of him, but he didn't realize just how much he couldn't let go of her either. It was almost parasitic and it was a crushing cycle he can't get himself out of.

Also, the beat is amazing.

TheNorm

Thanks for sharing, Buc - that's exactly what I love to see. Can't wait to check these out (and man, Childish Gambino is awesome)!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on April 10, 2018, 08:40:31 PM
Thanks for sharing, Buc - that's exactly what I love to see. Can't wait to check these out (and man, Childish Gambino is awesome)!

Hey, if you build it, they will come. You're the founder of this topic, I'm merely a passerby replying

rollntider

1. Fly away - Lenny Kravitz My Daughter used to sing the hell out of that song when in came on when she was little. Whenever I hear it, I hear my 4 year old daughter, now 22, sing it.  It takes me back to my sweet little girl in a car seat jammin. Plus this song does rock.

2. Metallica - And Justice for all - My Senior and Junior years were filled with this album, along with many others like Anthrax, Megadeth etc... Just good times in what I thought were the 2 best years of  my childhood.

3.  Breaking Benjamin - Diary of Jane - used to jam to this along with other songs of the time with a close friend at the time. We no longer talk nor do they probably consider us friends, but this reminds of times we had hanging out. It was some good times. I miss those days.

4. Eazy E - Boyz in the hood - I went to a predominately black school growing up and  never gave rap the time of day. I was into metal. But I transfer schools my senior year and get plopped into predominately white school and get introduced Eazy E.  Well not only did i embrace rap but Introduce one of my best friends to it. Dude was a hard core country music fan and rock (he never got into the metal).  We went through 4 or 5 tapes of this album  along with others. He even did an acoustical version before Dynamite hack did theirs (around 1991?), We always said he should had sued them. He hardly listened to country ever again and was the biggest rap fan. I thought he was gonna cry when Biggie died.

We would go camping or fishing and this was one of the albums that played while we hung out.
He has passed away now and i miss my buddy. Its kinda hard to listen to album now cause it was our jam back then. We got into a lot of trouble and fun back then.

5. Virgos Merlot - Kiss my disease - My Neighbor's son's band- and it was played on the radio locally, they toured with some big names as an opening act, Aerosmith to name drop. But my son was just born, my neighbors were like family and I had the world where i wanted it.  Life seemed perfect for the most part. I have lost friends and family to moving, time and disease, but life was hard to beat then.

6. 4 non blondes - Whats Up - Another time when I look back and life was good. Alabama had just won a national title for the first time since Paul Bryant had passed. I was a newlywed, just bought my first house. Sega Genesis kicked ass, and loved some SNES.  I wished I had appreciated family gatherings more back then than I did. Another great time in life.

7. Candy Man - Knocking boots -  Man this one brings back good times, was dating my wife this song always seemed to come on. She even sang the chorus on valentines day on my answering machine lol. I had gotten a dog and she made me name her "precious" to mess with me. I loved that dog, she was like our first child.

8.Blessed union of souls - Hey Leonardo she likes me for me - When I worked at home depot, my supervisor was from the virgin islands, and I used to say he was Jamaican to mess with him.  But he had one of the coolest accents, and I swear to God he looked/looks like Andre Braugher from brooklyn 99.  Twin brother  no shit. Anyways when we would work on end cap resets overnights he always made me work with him. We got along great, we worked together well, and we cracked each other up. Well Depot, played music over the speakers and this was one of the regular songs, and if we were overnights i used to change the lyrics to the songs. This was his favorite cause as soon as it starting playing I would hear his laugh. BTW the lyrics were instead of "She likes me for me" I changed them to "She likes to beat my meat" and he would usually  sing along and it was the funniest thing ever to listen to.

there are so many more but this was fun going down memory lane.

TheNorm

Crewe

awesome topic!
Great reads thus far. Buc, very interesting, especially about #6
Tider, I can relate to 2 and 3, I was in the same boat, sorta lol

I have to preface this by saying as all older fella, my era was driven by radio and MTV. I cant describe to you how important radio was, and DJ's were big time personalities.
Ive gone from records to 8 tracks to cassettes to CD's to digital so its been really cool, but also frustrating to go through this transformation of music delivery.
Im off point a bit here are my choices, oh and Id like to add, these dont represent my favorite songs necessarily as Hendrix is my favorite artist but not listed.

1. Eruption - Van Halen
This changed everything for me. Up until now, I was country, all country. I mean Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, George Jones country lol
Just into high school I heard this riff and was blown away, completely. I switched sides immediately and bought every VH album up to that point which was VH, VH II, W&C First. Only in the late 80's did I invite country back in, but then that twat Billy Ray Cyrus came along and changed everything for the worse so I was out again lol

2. John Lee Hooker
I was a fan of the Blues Brothers via Saturday Night Live. I liked the musical act but then the movie hit. This was right around the VH experience so my horizons were being expanded. JLH was featured in the film as you know and I slowly became attached to blues.
Howlin Wolf followed, Robert Johnson, BB King and the like. Now, my musical taste rely a lot on blues influences.

3. Trapped Under Ice - Metallica
This was part of my transformation and rebellion towards MTV and and the pop sugar crapola starting to take over radio. For such a huge metroplios, we only had two real rock stations, one of which was "album rock" and the only place you could hear cuts from Metallica and the like.
Ride the Lightning was a big favorite and despite Bell's awesomeness, this one reached me.

4. Take it to the Limit - Eagles
Eagles were considered the first real crossover success. Take it to the limit represents the first time I was truly deeply devoted to another. Still catches me in the feels when I hear it today.

5. The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
The beginning of my Stevie Nicks love affair which is still alive and well. I just loved the drums and bass in this tune and as I learned of the Mac history it just became a staple in my rotation, well, pretty much the Rumors album.

6. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
You could not, in no way shape or form, escape the Hysteria album. Touted before hand by the knowledge of drummer Rick Allen losing an arm but having a specially designed drum set built the interest and when this pop metal album hit the airwaves, holy crap. Its the first album I remember that had so many damn songs on the radio, it seemed endless. This one though seemed to be the anthem. Blaring at every bonfire beer bash house party beach party, there was no escape.

7. Aint Fair -Deap Vally
This tune from the female duo revived rock n roll for me, much the same way as Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana.
Still only two albums old, they have a very bluesy independent garage type vibe even harking back to a peace and love feel from the 60's.
You have to listen but its there.

8. You never even called me by my name - David Allen Coe
I absolutely love this flippin song. Its still the only song I will ever karaoke (still not alone though lol) I always looked older than I was so at 17 (drinking age was 19) I could get in the bars, country bars and ice houses etc and this song represents a great fun filled time with friends and family. Always a great sing along at any get together in any venue. You could be cruising with friends to the beach in a rock n roll fused ride, but pop this in and no one missed a beat in singing along.

This thread was fun as hell. I know we all had to leave out so much lol

BojackHorsefella

Oh, definitely left off a lot Crewe.

There's so many ways to go about this. I could see doing best "Summer" or "Vacation" songs. Best rock, best rap, etc.

Crewe

True. I mean, even then I doubt I could wrangle in some faves lol
Im sure one of us will come up with an additional related topic soon enough  :D
You mention Come Out and Play by Offspring. I had season tix to the Aeros hockey team here and that song was blaring during every single skirmish lol
Thats what I always go back to when I hear that cut

BojackHorsefella

Ha, that's awesome!

Yeah, you could do similar things (I've debated doing a 30 days of books but...I don't think that would get as much traction as games, TV and movies did), but the best part of this is that Norm makes a playlist at the end. So it'd be cool to keep it music related, even if we have to go by genre or theme.

Alright, I'm done replying to Crewe. I want to see more of these. Where's Thai and CFLNut?

rollntider

Love reading the other lists. And Crewe Ride the lightening was awesome

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on April 13, 2018, 12:14:25 PM
Love reading the other lists. And Crewe Ride the lightening was awesome

yea, just posting that made me want to pull that album out again

TheNorm

Couple of notes:

- Ain't Fair by Deap Vally isn't on Spotify for some reason, so wasn't able to throw it down...sorry!
- I put Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker on this list; didn't really specify which tune but I figured since you mentioned Blues Brothers that's the one you were looking for. I can fix that if that wasn't what you were looking for. :)

Here you go: https://open.spotify.com/user/thenorm41/playlist/6xRXqX6tSYj6CWW08RRIYM

Crewe

hey norm!
Yea that was the JLH I was referring to, but of course you knew that lol
Thats odd that Aint Fair isn't available, sub in Baby I call hell because that one was 1b lol
Great discussion topic

rollntider