News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Jeremy Renner, James Spader

Worth seeing in IMAX 3D. Movie didn't disappoint to an extent, but I think I might've expected more out of it too-especially after the amazing stories in Winter Soldier and Guardians. I'm not saying the movie was bad (it wasn't), but IMO it was just very good-Spader does provide a very menacing voice for Ultron. Looking forward to seeing how this all leads into Cap 3.

3.5 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

My thought exactly, but I would give it a 4. :popcorn:

TheNorm

Inside Out
Voices of: Amy Poehler, Lewis Black, Mindy Kaling, Bill Hader, Phyllis Smith, Richard Kind

Pixar takes a shot at looking at emotions and in typical Pixar fashion absolutely kills it. The emotions are seen through the eyes of 11-year-old Riley a Minnesota girl having a great life when her family moves to San Francisco. Animation is always great, and the voices for the emotions are cast perfectly. Only drawback-and this may have been just my theatre-is that it got really dusty in the room during a couple of parts. I wish theatres would fix that issue a bit, otherwise great movie.  :P

4.75 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Loved Inside Out. I think it's one of my favorite movies that Pixar has ever made.

Watched Trainwreck and Minions recently. Trainwreck was actually very funny. All the athlete cameos were really good.

Minions was pretty disappointing. I really liked both Despicable Me movies, but this just wasn't anywhere near as funny.

TheNorm

I really do want to check out Trainwreck-I love Amy Schumer. I just get the feeling this turns into a predictable Judd Apatow flick in the second half of the movie though, so I've put it on the "will see later" stack. Waiting a bit on Minions too-love those things but not sure I'm ready for a whole movie about them.

Crewe

Mad Max: Fury Road.
Yes, have some!
What makes this film, aside from the action obviously, is the lack of screen time wasted delving into characters, trying to build them up which almost always kills the pacing, and rarely helps.
Miller delights and with his limited dialogue, still gives you what you need to know.
I should add, I'm a fan of the Mad Max films too, so take that for what its worth.

For those that may not know, Ill also try to clear up, is this a sequel or reboot question.
It's really kinda neither.
The Max character is a legend in this dystopian world and if you look at each film as being told throughout generations as events that make up the legend, the world and the films make a lot more sense.
Hope that helps....and see it.

rollntider

A little late on the insideout talk, but will add it to my list. I have had friends they were pleasantly surprised my mission impossible.

Crewe

You know, I like Cruise and the MI films...sans II

rollntider

2 was not too bad, but it was the least enjoyable of the franchise.

rollntider

TheNorm

Creed
Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson

Plain and simple, if you loved most of the Rocky movies (no one liked 5 lol) then you'll enjoy this one. Stallone still delivers as Rocky, but now he's coaxed into training a new guy: Adonis Johnson, which as you can figure out by the name of the movie, is the son of Apollo Creed. Michael B. Jordan's performance is incredible, and that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that saw him in the last two seasons of NBC's Friday Night Lights. This is a movie worthy of the Rocky universe. You'll also get to find out who actually won the third fight between Apollo and Rocky, I thought that was a nice touch. :)

4.5 out of 5

Crewe

Been following this one for a while, hoping it would live up to the character. I really enjoyed Rocky Balboa and thought it was a good closeout of the character, but turns out that wasnt the end lol
Looking forward to this one...

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 04, 2015, 12:13:50 AM
Been following this one for a while, hoping it would live up to the character. I really enjoyed Rocky Balboa and thought it was a good closeout of the character, but turns out that wasnt the end lol

I'll admit to initially being skeptical when they announced this, but they did it justice.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 04, 2015, 01:01:15 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 04, 2015, 12:13:50 AM

I'll admit to initially being skeptical when they announced this, but they did it justice.

Thats good to hear.

TheNorm

Jurassic World
Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Vincent D'Onofrio

Back on the island over 20 years after the events of Jurassic Park, and Isla Nublar is officially a big tourist attraction...an amusement park that just like every other place like it in the world needs to add new attractions to keep interest (and more importantly sponsorship $$$$$) up and flowing. This leads to the creation of a brand new dinosaur and eventually leads back to the lessons of the first film that the scientists forgot - playing dinosaur creator just really isn't a very good idea, but at least it's entertaining for those watching and was a fan of the first movie/book (like me). I'll admit to being skeptical about this 'reboot'/sequel when it was first announced, but the movie was enjoyable.

3.75 out of 5

Pitch Perfect 2
Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Hailee Steinfeld

The follow up to 2012's surprisingly good Pitch Perfect finds the 3x time collegiate accapella champions Barden University Bellas looking to restore their name after an incident on a national stage causes them to be banned from competition. This movie was alright and the performances were pretty good, but it's missing some of the magic from the first one. Some of the cameos were pretty cool though.

3 out of 5