News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movie Review Thread

Started by TheNorm, May 31, 2015, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Crewe

JP never grabbed me, so not really a fan.
The CGI from JW loked awful to me in the trailers, is it just me?

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on December 14, 2015, 01:15:54 PM
JP never grabbed me, so not really a fan.
The CGI from JW loked awful to me in the trailers, is it just me?
Nah, part of what made Jurassic Park look believable and interesting was that it was still physical props.  Nowadays George Lucas has screwed up the movie making game, and anything even remotely non-human will be done in CG.  With how crazy all the PC and PETA crap on the internet is going, they're going to stop using real animals in movies and start using CG animals for everything.  You like the dog of the main character, yeah?  He was created in 3D Studio Max!  Oh wait, there's PETA complaining again, because it instills the idea that a dog can be a pet, and is therefore not our equal.

Gag.

Crewe

I've always held that CGI too easily replaces location shoots and real props/stage and of course there's politicking galore involved too. As good as it can be it can also be well overused and look quite tacky at times.  And to your point about non human, I would add that CGI has infiltrated use for actors/actresses as well

Crewe

Force Awakens
Lets see, can I be spoiler free?
Yes.
Much much much better cast than the prequels, I cannot stress this enough. With that, there was one I had issue with, but ill wait until everyone sees it.
Much much much better directing.
The score is just as awesome as ever.
A few bits of corny dialogue? Yes.
Sprinkles of hamminess? Yes.
Do those points negate the flick? Absolutely not.
I do have an issue or two with the storytelling but will save those for later.
Overall, entertaining, very much worth a look at the theatre.
Its like this episode is a giant saltine that cleanses the palate that was tainted with the prequel.
Yes, have some...

cflnut

Quote from: Crewe on December 18, 2015, 03:43:41 AM
Force Awakens
Lets see, can I be spoiler free?
Yes.
Much much much better cast than the prequels, I cannot stress this enough. With that, there was one I had issue with, but ill wait until everyone sees it.
Much much much better directing.
The score is just as awesome as ever.
A few bits of corny dialogue? Yes.
Sprinkles of hamminess? Yes.
Do those points negate the flick? Absolutely not.
I do have an issue or two with the storytelling but will save those for later.
Overall, entertaining, very much worth a look at the theatre.
Its like this episode is a giant saltine that cleanses the palate that was tainted with the prequel.
Yes, have some...

I completely agree with everything said in this post.

It was well worth seeing in the theatre, and doesn't feel as "Rushed" as the prequels did. Definitely not a let down.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

Thank you both for keeping it spoiler free-can't wait to see this next week! Basically staying clear of all social media until I get to see this movie.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Yes, that too.
Norm, i saw the first teaser and the first trailer, after that, never read or saw anything else.

thaima1shu

Yeah do what you can to avoid social media and all that. There's lots of idiots spoiling Star Wars in random places.

I absolutely loved it. Pretty much agreed with every point Crewe mentioned. I cannot wait to see it again.

cflnut

That's why I wanted to go early, to avoid any spoilers.

Got a co-worker that's a Star Wars nut, and over lunch today he's out lined the entire story line of it, and didn't care that some people haven't seen it yet.

thaima1shu

TheNorm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Oscar Isaac

Keeping this as spoiler free as possible, so short and sweet: this more than makes up for 1-3, and I can't wait to see what comes next. I'm not as worried about this franchise with it in JJ Abrams' hands now. Just go see it. Only problem is I ran into the same problem I had with the theatre for Inside Out: it got really dusty at certain points. :)

5 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

cflnut

Then we can talk spoilers next week. I'd like to see everyones opinion on a few of the events.

Crewe

Quote from: cflnut on December 21, 2015, 02:48:54 PM
That's why I wanted to go early, to avoid any spoilers.

Got a co-worker that's a Star Wars nut, and over lunch today he's out lined the entire story line of it, and didn't care that some people haven't seen it yet.

What an absolute ass!
Took me over ten years to finally watch the Sixth Sense because a co worker turd did that very thing to me.
Glad you liked it norm, knew you would.
Thai, nice to know im not the only one adept at avoidance lol