News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Travel thread

Started by Crewe, August 25, 2019, 12:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Share where you've been, where you're going, where you want to go.

This time last year, I decided to go to Boston. Id wanted to for decades, never did. There's always reasons, no money, no time, no-one else wants to go etc...but I decided I was going, if alone, so be it.

I decided I was finally going to travel, at least domestically to try and catch up a bit. Since then Ive hit Nashville and most recently San Francisco.

This past week, we flew in to LA, rented a Camaro convertible and drove up the coast to San Fran.
Pretty much checked the biggies off the list; drove across the GG bridge...didnt have time to hit the Bay Bridge though, I think that one would have been more interesting.
Alcatraz was amazing. Ill have to throw up some pics of that one. Chinatown, Oracle park, stayed on Fisherman's Wharf so was able to enjoy all it had to offer. The Haight Ashbury District was fun and is still full of weirdos, especially after dark.
Rode the cable cars, including the famous route in the Rice a roni tv ads from my youth, and made it to many tourist videos as I could see them recording us from my standing perch from the front of the car :D
So, here in Houston, its flat, if you've never been. So when I drove in to SF and met the hills, it was fun..for about a half hour, then it was, fuck these hills lol
It wouldn't be so bad if pedestrians gave a shit about right of way and following the all don't walk signs, but they dont. Therefore, you're perched at a light with your front end tilted upwards, obscuring your view, you're wondering, gee, if I take off, am I going to land on some 4 foot gramma I couldn't possibly see? lol
Seriously, I enjoyed it, but just could never endure that if I lived there. Walking through neighborhoods, Im constantly conjuring up images of these houses looking like the old Batman TV show from the 60's.

At Alcatraz, you should opt for the self guided audio tour. You get an audio device on a lanyard you wear with headphones. Its narrated by 4 prisoners and 4 guards and is a step by step tour with amazing photos and captions you'd expect to see in a historical museum.
the audio was so well done, creating ambiance of the tour, coordinating sounds with where you were, i.e it sounded like dinner at a prison dining room if that's where you were...a cell block etc...
Seeing the cells where guards had been imprisoned and executed during an escape attempt was chilling, not to mention setting foot in the hole.
I highly recommend seeing and dont listen to folks who say its a tourist trap, I can tell you, they've probably never been.

Finally, a tip for Oracle Park:
People who take tours of baseball parks are typically genuine baseball fans, more so than your average joe, so try to have someone who, I dunno, kinda knows about baseball give the tour?
I dont give a shit about some grandma related to the PR Dept who needs a job; stick her in the back somewhere and dont make me listen to her try to convince me she understands what the hell she's showing me.

Im going to have to lay off the travel for a while now because Im so far behind with my taxes for the upcoming year, but I definitely want to go to Europe. Just not sure where. I hear Spain is wonderful, but I just dont have an idea yet.
I still want to hit Washington DC, Chicago, Tahoe and hit the Grand Canyon while in the state...Savannah is in there somewhere, Id like to go back to Cali and hang in San Diego and Im probably the only guy on the planet who hasn't been to Colorado, so I guess there's that too.
I dont have enough years left for all this ...