News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Pro Football Thread

Started by TheNorm, March 10, 2018, 10:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Not a knock, but sports journalism is seemingly one of the easiest gigs around. Once you get a designated spot, people are required to feed you info, essentially writing your column, or tweet, as the case may be. I get that Im oversimplifying a bit, but still...

TheNorm

Lol, Patricia and the Lions had that coming. The dude basically follows the Belichick dress code, and he's gonna criticize another guy for posture? FOH with that.
I don't care whether the team is 8-0 or 0-8, but clearly when the team is 3-4 coming off a lackadaisical loss to the Seahawks I really don't want to hear him bitch about someone's posture. He can get lost if he pulls that BS again too.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I was sad to see Alex Smith hurt. I think he will be out for a while.
I became a real fan of his when he was so disrespected in KC in favor of the flash of Kaepernick.
Aside from the fact he's been referent to with the pejorative "game manager" tag by the epicyclic sports media. A QB IS a game manager by definition you morons.
I digress.
Also happy for Colt McCoy, he's a tough gamer and such a class guy. Hope he performs well.
Side note, I have to admit that was quite the tacky call on Norman at the end of the game to give Houston a first down.

TheNorm

Mark Sanchez getting another shot is laughable.
The ending of Pats/Dolphins was hilarious.
The Bears are for real, and the NFC will be tough for everyone in the playoffs. But it'll be hilarious when Dallas gets exposed there again.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Cowboys are a decent team but in no way are they a serious contender. Middle of the pack with potential is all. Cooper is paying dividends, but he still was not worth it IMO.
Thats what I don't understand, I mean I do, because you want asses in seats, but still, you don't have a chance in hell of winning it all, so why give up a first? Perhaps I put too much stock in picks.

Texans wasted so many years when they signed Fitz as QB. Same sitch. They were not going to contend, so why not draft and groom. You ate up Andre's career and some of Hopkin's as well instead of building a franchise. But, if I knew what the hell I was talking about, Id be a GM I guess.

TheNorm

Not a Bears fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that was a brutal way to lose.

Crewe

Man, that sucked so bad for them.
The fans behavior is boorish though, especially considering the kick was partially blocked.

rollntider

I dont follow NFL as much as I used to, but glad to see UA alum Freddie kitchens get a HC job somewhere.
http://footballscoop.com/news/report-cleveland-browns-promote-freddie-kitchens-head-coach/

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on January 10, 2019, 12:55:54 PM
I dont follow NFL as much as I used to, but glad to see UA alum Freddie kitchens get a HC job somewhere.
http://footballscoop.com/news/report-cleveland-browns-promote-freddie-kitchens-head-coach/

I am happy for him but wow what a lot of pressure for your first time head coaching job.  I know some will say there will be less pressure taking over a perennial loser but I don't think so in this case.  You have a young stud QB with a huge attitude that will speak his mind to the media.  I think he would have been better served being the OC for this next year and then leaving the nest.  I hope he thrives, just think the deck is a bit stacked against him.   

rollntider

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 10, 2019, 02:51:42 PM
Quote from: rollntider on January 10, 2019, 12:55:54 PM

I am happy for him but wow what a lot of pressure for your first time head coaching job.  I know some will say there will be less pressure taking over a perennial loser but I don't think so in this case.  You have a young stud QB with a huge attitude that will speak his mind to the media.  I think he would have been better served being the OC for this next year and then leaving the nest.  I hope he thrives, just think the deck is a bit stacked against him.
agreed, the browns is a bad first job.

Crewe

hey, what's the over under for number of blatant tugs of QB's facemasks we won't see called this weekend?

TheNorm

That AFC Championship game was one of the best I've seen in years. The future looks bright for KC and Patrick Mahomes, the kid's an absolute stud and I think it's ridiculous he didn't get the ball in OT (NFL OT rules need to change).

But New England and the GOAT just continue to move right along. Seems they step up their game when the doubters come out (and I doubted they could do it, seemed like it was KC's time). Hate all you want, but Brady is the greatest.

Have I ever mentioned that Tom Brady and I attended undergraduate studies at the same university? Just throwing that out there. :)

You can also officially add me to the "Tony Romo is a great color commentator" fan club. As much as I hated him when he was with that squad of chumps in Dallas, he knows his stuff. Basically called out what the Pats were going to do in OT and before that. Take him and Jim Nantz over Buck and Aikman any day of the week.

TheNorm

Crewe

When KC scored with 2:03 left, I said 2:03 and 4 timeouts? This games over and KC lost.
Ill bet #55 is on suicide watch, what with that offsides on the interception.
Is it just me, and this is not a bash NE thing and its not even about the bad calls, but it just feels like they get every single break every single time. Forever I watch them get the right bounce, the right penalty, the right step, its just amazing to me. Lucky and good I guess.

On to the calls: The league can soften up and spin any rationale they wish, the refs are full of shit and missed calls they are paid to make.
How in the hell can you "not see" the PI call as what was reportedly said by the ref(s).
Championship game, time running out, game on the line, 3rd down, balls in the air, only two guys in that entire area, so its not like it was a back end mild holding call 50 yards from the play; you are paid to be looking at that very spot.
Just amazing.
And I get it, humans and mistakes and all that, but these are just so egregious its beyond comprehension to me.
These games today are specifically why Ive distanced myself from the NFL over the years. I fancy myself a casual observer now, but these today really raise my ire. I mean, it is truly astounding to me.
And the worst part is, every single person on that field, player coach, whatever, all of them have to answer for their bullshit, all except the precious referees. I pray for the day they have to stand in front of these yellow sports journalists answering questions about their ineptness.

Finally, re: Romo, Im really glad that many people see what Cowboys fans have known all along, Romo is a good guy and knows his shit.
And Im not speaking for anyone except those Ive conversed with, but its nice to hear, even Eagles fans mind you, say, gee, maybe, just maybe, it all wasn't Romo's fault, maybe he didn't suck that bad, maybe, just maybe its his team/coaches sucked worse.
With that, ban Buck/Aikman from everything football. Matter of fact, ban Buck from baseball too while Im at it.