News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Your top 5 favorite players of all time

Started by Rigg44, January 10, 2019, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Not the best players, just your favorite.  They guys you loved to watch, they may be greats but don't need to be.

1. RB John Riggins- obvious choice,  not only is he in the HOF but as my screen name indicates, he was and is my favorite of all time.
2. RB Marion Butts- I have an affinity for power backs as this list will show. 
3. RB Christian Okoye- I never have liked the Chiefs but I loved this guy.
4. QB Dan Marino- An all time great who could just sling it like no other.
5. TE Mark Bavaro- No grittier guy has ever laced them up.

Honorable mentions- Earl Campbell- I was a bit to young to remember much but if you love power backs then this guy is your god.  One more Brett Favre- The guy was just a gamer, over rated for sure but I loved to watch him play.  I lied one more Barry Sanders was by far the most exciting guy from moment to moment I have ever seen.

rollntider

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 10, 2019, 03:08:31 PM
Not the best players, just your favorite.  They guys you loved to watch, they may be greats but don't need to be.

1. RB John Riggins- obvious choice,  not only is he in the HOF but as my screen name indicates, he was and is my favorite of all time.

Honorable mentions- Earl Campbell- I was a bit to young to remember much but if you love power backs then this guy is your god.  One more Brett Favre- The guy was just a gamer, over rated for sure but I loved to watch him play.  I lied one more Barry Sanders was by far the most exciting guy from moment to moment I have ever seen.

Good list, Bavaro is one I forgot about.

#1 Derrick Thomas Tide great that went on to dominate in the NFL
#2 Joe Montana  Notre Dame guy who I always thought was class and a damn good QB
#3 Barry Sanders  Never a detroit fan, just loved watching this guy back in the day.
#4 Emmit Smith Dude was one of the greats of his day.
#5 Cornelius Bennett Another Tide great that owned in the NFL.

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on January 10, 2019, 04:14:51 PM
Quote from: Rigg44 on January 10, 2019, 03:08:31 PM

Good list, Bavaro is one I forgot about.

#1 Derrick Thomas Tide great that went on to dominate in the NFL
#2 Joe Montana  Notre Dame guy who I always thought was class and a damn good QB
#3 Barry Sanders  Never a detroit fan, just loved watching this guy back in the day.
#4 Emmit Smith Dude was one of the greats of his day.
#5 Cornelius Bennett Another Tide great that owned in the NFL.

Derrick Thomas was a beast, to bad he left us early.  I could not agree more about Barry, that guy was the greatest show on turf before the Rams ever dreamed of it.

Crewe

1 Earl Campbell - Ive mentioned him in a few threads here. What an absolute beast he was. So many things to love, but one little thing that always stuck with me and would drive millennials insane, when he scored TD's, he never celebrated. He would literally set the ball on the ground or hand it to the referee. I just found that so classy, and still do. Nowadays these guys need their big shining look at me choreographed end zone follies, its just silly to me.
Digressing, what's also endearing about Earl the pearl is the man himself. Just so genuine, honest, selfless, never a discouraging word about his teammates, always carried the burden, good and bad. Never blamed football for his injuries. Even when Bum Phillips came under fire in much much later years for abusing Campbell by giving him the ball too often, he stood by his coach as they were true soulmates.
Even without football, Earl is a guy you would be better off knowing, for sure.
And his hot links are quite good too!

2. Emmitt Smith - Hard worker, hard runner, gamer. Ive never been more in awe than I was when he played the second half vs the Giants with a separated shoulder and literally kicked their butts all over the place.

3 Nolan Ryan - when guys are out of the spotlight for years and the public gets used to them in another role, they aren't as mystical, especially to younger gens.
But lemme tell ya, Ryan was the shit, and for a long damn time too. To be in the dome and know you are watching a living legend who still has good ears left in him was amazing. To hear his grunt as he pushed off the mound hurling such heat to the plate. he really brought a team together and made them want to do well for you, which is what leaders do.

4 Barry Sanders - When Dallas or Houston played Detroit, I just chalked up the L right away. he seemingly killed us every time. I remember telling one of my friends, during a game wherein said Sanders was in the process of sending my money elsewhere, damn, he falls down and gets three damn yards.
Still baffling to me, even after A Football Life, as to why he walked away with years in the tank.

5 Bill Bates - Slower guy, started out as a special teamer for Dallas, played his career there, worked his ass off to become a starter over a period of years. Never complained, always showed up when given the opportunity and made a place for himself. Hustled, hit hard, played fair, respected others and the game and was a humble man. Always liked him.

Honorable mentions - Troy Aikman - never bought in to the limelight bullshit, was a tough sonofabitch, taking hits back when QB's could still get the Deacon Jones treatment. Smart QB and accurate. he's another one who, since becoming an announcer, has had his accolades dimmed by time.
Terry Bradshaw - God I hated this guy. The despised Steelers, man, so easy to hate em all.
After he retired, I began respecting him a lot more once I saw his value as a commentator. His humor is genuine and it allowed me to see what kind of a teammate he must have been. I recall a story where early in his career, a player came in to the game, told Bradshaw the play sent by the coach and he didn't recognize it. Said he looked at the guy bewildered, asked him what he was talking about, then proceeded to say, you, go long, you down and out...lol
Just cracks me up.
JR Richard - At 6'8", he was an imposing presence on the mound at the Astrodome. Hit his side in the late 70's and at his peak, had a stroke on the mound just prior to a game that ended his career. Still holds the strikeout record in a season for the Astros at 313. Thats a great trivia question because everyone would say Ryan.
I could go on forever, but Ill just add, Olajuwon, Bird and Magic too. You should know why.

rollntider

I should throw a few honorable mentions also,

Troy Aikman as Crewe stated. Just a damn good QB
Dan Marino, shame he never won a super bowl.
Deion Sanders, hated the guy when he played, but respected him years later

Crewe

yea agree with y'all on Marino. I remember everyone was so sure he was going to be back in the SB and it just never happened.

BojackHorsefella

Alright, my all-time favorites to watch:

Cris Carter - the original. I may or may not have ever admitted this here, but I wasn't a Bucs fan until 2001, when I moved to a new high school. Before then, I was a Vikings fan, but I could really only name one player for a while: Cris Carter. I don't know what it was, my mom was a Giants fan, my brother and dad Jets fans, but for some reason I became obsessed with the Vikings solely because of Cris Carter. He was a beast, and all he did? Catch touchdowns. Loved it.

Mike Alstott- At some point, I started playing Madden more regularly, and I played as the Vikings for a while, but then the Bucs got those cool new uniforms, so I started to play as them, learned the players on the team, met some Bucs fans on the official message board and then moved, so had a chance to restart and, for whatever reason, did. Part of that was Alstott. Just an absolutely bruising back, watching him break one long usually involved a couple of defenders getting absolutely run-over. Always nice having this guy in the backfield when you were on the goal line.

Wayne Chrebet - I know these are all teams I root (or rooted, in the case of the Bucs and Vikes) for, but yeah, Wayne Chrebet was a known name in my household. Don't get me wrong, love Curtis, Curtis Martin was incredible, but on 3rd down the ball was almost always going to Wayne, and you could trust him to make that catch past the first down marker more times than not.

Randy Moss - for real. Even after I'd abandoned my Bucs fandom, how could you not enjoy watching....everything? Like, OBJ is great, he gets some cool catches, but Moss was something else entirely and could get separation like nobody else I'd seen. A completely different beast from Carter. I was mesmerized.

Michael Vick - All of you are liars for not including Vick. I don't care if he couldn't pass! This guy was ELECTRIC on the football field and you never had any idea if he was about to take that ball the distance for a TD, throw a deep strike to Price or Crumpler or just toss a beautiful looking interception.

Honorable mentions (off the top of my head): Offense: Barry Sanders (I didn't get to see THAT much of him, which is why he's so low), Steve Young

Defense: Warren Sapp, Jevon Kearse, Brian Urlacher, Brian Dawkins, Rhonde Barber

TheNorm

1. Barry Sanders - I really don't need to add anyone else to this list. Dude was a human highlight reel and easily the best I've ever seen play the game. Sorry his career was pretty much a waste on the WC Ford owned Lions, because I would've loved to see this guy win a title.

The rest...

Charles Woodson - part of this stems from his college accomplishments, but he turned in one hell of a pro career too. One hell of a defender.

Neon Deion Sanders - Guy talked a big game but he backed it up, too.

Herman Moore - fade route into the endzone was almost always his. Hard working guy that I loved watching play in Detroit.

Jason Hanson - yeah, a kicker. But he was always reliable throughout his career in Detroit, and he worked hard here. 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr