News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

in this instance its as if I was reading my own words because I agreed with everything lol

BojackHorsefella

I'm at the age where SNL episodes get me emotional. That was a helluva show by Sandler. Got me in the end with that tribute to Farley.

Crewe

I usually wait until Im through with a series prior to posting about it, but I have to say with regards to Shameless (U.S.)....
I don't think there's been a more despicable, morally bankrupt, loathsome, contemptible asshole than Frank Gallagher.
Beautifully played by William H. Macy.

Im through Season 2 and am really enjoying this show despite some major writing miscues that I have a hard time forgiving, even to make a point in the story, but nonetheless, the cast and the rest of the plot are making up for it and then some.
More when Im done...

Rigg44

The Patriot

sorry if this has been posted before but I did not see it.  If you have not tried this show out you should.  It is a prime exclusive.  It's about an American spy that is questioning his place in the world and his chosen profession. Which leads him to be depressed and operating at a less than optimal level.  It is for lack of a better description a black comedy.  It will not be everyone's cup of tea but for those that it hits a cord with they will love it. 

rollntider

Game of Thrones, been a big fan of the series since the begining, loved the show the characters etc. Totally was not buying the backlash to the show, figured I would give it a shot before I fell for the hate.... well the final season is justified for the hate. It was a lazy cash in for it to "wrap up"

The characters they took seasons to develop, were not themselves. They made choices that seemed to only be made because the writers wanted to fit a plot in. Can't wait till they do the same to star wars when they want to hurry up and move on to the next project.

On a positive note, The Orville is the new star trek. You can tell the show pays proper respect to trek, it does have a joke here and there, but it reminds me of TNG. The 2nd season is better, they found their footing. get HULU and watch it, i love it.

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on May 21, 2019, 11:29:16 PM
Game of Thrones, been a big fan of the series since the begining, loved the show the characters etc. Totally was not buying the backlash to the show, figured I would give it a shot before I fell for the hate.... well the final season is justified for the hate. It was a lazy cash in for it to "wrap up"

The characters they took seasons to develop, were not themselves. They made choices that seemed to only be made because the writers wanted to fit a plot in. Can't wait till they do the same to star wars when they want to hurry up and move on to the next project.

On a positive note, The Orville is the new star trek. You can tell the show pays proper respect to trek, it does have a joke here and there, but it reminds me of TNG. The 2nd season is better, they found their footing. get HULU and watch it, i love it.

I agree with you GOT assessment but I am not as incensed as others are.  The Orville is great. I watch it with my daughter who ironically hates Star Trek but loves the Orville.  She gets mad when I tell her they are basically the same thing. The show is great and I agree get Hulu and watch it!

rollntider

I agree with you that the orville is the new trek. But I was not a fan of trek, I watched it because of my significant other at the time was in to it. It was ok and found it boring mostly. The orville is like trek done right.

As for the got hate I feel it is warranted. Totally disappointed

Rigg44

Quote from: rollntider on May 22, 2019, 04:54:26 PM
I agree with you that the orville is the new trek. But I was not a fan of trek, I watched it because of my significant other at the time was in to it. It was ok and found it boring mostly. The orville is like trek done right.

As for the got hate I feel it is warranted. Totally disappointed

I can see your point about trek but I like it.  I see Orville as the what if Star Trek was real.  In other words, the characters are more relatable to our reality. When it comes to GOT, dont get me wrong I was disappointed but I can see why they did what they did.  In order to have handled Dani's demise correctly, they would have needed 12 shows minimum, not 6.  I dont know why the season was so short, writers, producers, actors or a combination of them all.  However whatever the reason I blame the short season for most of the show's problems.  It did not allow the plot to develop naturally and instead felt rushed or out of character.  That was my take anyway.   

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 28, 2019, 05:02:33 PM
This dude on Jeopardy! is amazing, all I have to say for now.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/jeopardy-champion-james-holzhauer-extends-streak-28-wins-closes-in-ken-jennings-record-1202622979/

I can't fathom this accomplishment.

Changing topic...
Anyone on board for the Deadwood movie?
I am really looking forward to it since the series was abruptly canceled in season 3 leading to a truncated, unsatisfying finish.

TheNorm

Oh, I'll definitely be checking that out when I get the chance to. Looking forward to it!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

ok, I can finally chime in on GoT.
I really enjoyed the earlier seasons, but as it continued, it became...not watered down, but, lesser, to an extent?
Avoided all spoilers for the final season but didn't avoid the hate. I was reading all of this thinking it was a Dexter like finish, but I was already invested so I was going to complete the series.

It was not a satisfactory season for me.
Spoiler
I think everyone knew Daenerys' heel turn was coming and I didn't really have a problem with it except it was obvious that Jon was going to kill her.
However, even knowing that arc doesn't mean it still can't be entertaining and thats my problem, the season just wasn't enjoyable. I mean, it was good, but just flat.
GoT has been eye for an eye, hell fire and brimstone, but they decide to get artsy and poetic with Cersasi's death?
And speaking of, Daenerys going scorched earth on King's Landing was cool...for the first five minutes. Did we really need thirty freaking minutes of that nonsense? The viewer was bludgeoned to death with the message and it became moot.
The director was sold on these painfully long close up shots, hoping we will emote with the characters but it just killed the storytelling.
The plots were ok. Arya sailing off and Jon going back to the wall were acceptable ends.
Bran being the democratic king, I mean didn't we all kinda know anyway? That election scene though was quite cheesy dialogue.
Ill say that throughout, these characters ha terrific arcs; Jamie for instance, had one of the best developments in the series as did Arya.

All that said, Ive seen far worse. I was glad I watched it, didn't really hate it, more just indifferent about it.
But to me, I wasn't a GoT fanatic. Greatest series of all time? It wouldn't even crack my top ten I don't think.
Id have to think about that actually.

TheNorm

Season 2 of Cobra Kai was almost as good as the first season and I'm already looking forward to what they could have in store for Season 3. You really need to give this show a shot. :)

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on June 04, 2019, 09:48:04 AM
Season 2 of Cobra Kai was almost as good as the first season and I'm already looking forward to what they could have in store for Season 3. You really need to give this show a shot. :)

Isn't it only on Youtube Red though, and isn't that a pay service?

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 04, 2019, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: TheNorm on June 04, 2019, 09:48:04 AM

Isn't it only on Youtube Red though, and isn't that a pay service?

Thats what I recall because I couldn't get too far into the series, but I was interested though.