News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Podcast Thread

Started by TheNorm, September 29, 2019, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I just completed the WCW v WWF podcast and it was quite interesting. I knew that once Turner was out, WCW was in danger, but I really laid most of the blame of the fall on Bischoff. I see now that is sorely misplaced. Obviously once he was gone, Russo was really the problem, but Bischoff was the face of the WCW failure to me.
It's amazing how Vince has been able to stay on top. He's terrible at storylines but not ideas and he has a great head for business.
I haven't kept up with WWE for quite a while, I used to read blogs etc but not much anymore and I always wanted to check in on AEW but haven't.

Now Im on to "Office Ladies" which is Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey (Pam and Angela) from The Office.
Im only on Ep 2 but apparently they plan to have each weeks podcast follow a new episode throughout the 9 season run.
They offer behind the scene tidbits about the particular show being discussed and their experiences as well as interactions with fans over the years and will address questions on the show.
So far its enjoyable. I find them to be jovial and enthusiastic and they dont offer stale bits that devoted fans would know, they sorta deep dive with everything.

BojackHorsefella

https://www.facebook.com/What-Did-We-Miss-114943746830834/

Little less talking, a little more doing for me. Not sure when our second episode will be, but hey, we can say we've done it now.

Crewe

thats cool man.
I cant listen to all of it right now but am a few minutes in.  :D
Did you record via Skype?
Are you planning to try to record local on both ends and mix it?

BojackHorsefella

I actually did record local on both ends and mix it, and thus why I have already purchased a new microphone, hahaha. I'm glad I can at least be heard, but yeah, one thing to improve for next time already

Rigg44

Good job other than the difficulty of hearing you.  work that out and I think you are on the right track.

Crewe

When listening to one of you for a bit, then the other chimes it, it's sort of a jolt, that's the wrong word, but its noticeable one seems recorded locally and the other remote. However, I can hear both fine and you get used to it.
I can tel this flick was powerful for both of you and that's essential for a podcast, to be interested in your topic. You stick with that, I think you'll be good.
The analysis was pretty much spot on with my view and you both kept the tangents relevant but brief and then back to the film at hand.
Your brother touched on a major question I had which was what happened to the two thugs? I mean, Howard getting killed was quite the surprise, but killing your own boss? one would have to think those two are done. Killing Howard may have been ok or could be explained away, but your boss? And so publicly? But then they were probably caught at the scene too.

I cant believe you guys talked about a film for nearly an hour and a half lol But then, on good films there is a lot to unpack and I thought well, if it were me, Im betting Id talk about a film, look up and be surprised its been an hour and a half lol

I like the structure, i.e., going through the film first, then diverting to other subjects. Been a pet peeve of mine since Ive been invested in podcasts.
It give people a chance to tune out or click off if they aren't in to the irrelevant banter without getting lost in the film discussion.

What mic did you use here? Did you both use the same? What software?
Just curious.
Good first show dude.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 09, 2020, 08:38:30 AM
When listening to one of you for a bit, then the other chimes it, it's sort of a jolt, that's the wrong word, but its noticeable one seems recorded locally and the other remote. However, I can hear both fine and you get used to it.
I can tel this flick was powerful for both of you and that's essential for a podcast, to be interested in your topic. You stick with that, I think you'll be good.
The analysis was pretty much spot on with my view and you both kept the tangents relevant but brief and then back to the film at hand.
Your brother touched on a major question I had which was what happened to the two thugs? I mean, Howard getting killed was quite the surprise, but killing your own boss? one would have to think those two are done. Killing Howard may have been ok or could be explained away, but your boss? And so publicly? But then they were probably caught at the scene too.

I cant believe you guys talked about a film for nearly an hour and a half lol But then, on good films there is a lot to unpack and I thought well, if it were me, Im betting Id talk about a film, look up and be surprised its been an hour and a half lol

I like the structure, i.e., going through the film first, then diverting to other subjects. Been a pet peeve of mine since Ive been invested in podcasts.
It give people a chance to tune out or click off if they aren't in to the irrelevant banter without getting lost in the film discussion.

Just curious.
Good first show dude.

Wanted to take the time to address some of these, and thank you SO MUCH for your response Crewe.

I agree with the jolt. I initially listened with headphones, but in the car, the discrepancy between Corm's voice and my own is much more noticeable. That being said, the opening I recorded separately sounded better, so it seems to just be an issue with my proximity to my mic. THAT being said, I've already ordered a new, 360 degree mic, which is the kind of mic that Corm is using, so next time should be better.

Regarding the tangents, I remember your criticism earlier in this thread of podcasts where hosts interrupt each other, and then the thought is loss, never to be expounded on (I actually thought of you a bit while recording it to avoid certain nitpicks of yours that I know I actually do in daily life, like tangents that trail off and such, haha. I'm a big interrupter, unfortunately, hoping over time the podcast will train that out of me).

There were a few times I go on a tangent because it's relevant to a point I'm trying to make (I'm a big compare and contrast guy) and I had to be very conscious to keep it short and concise (the early tangent where I bring up, briefly, Good Time, The Lighthouse and Robert Pattinson is one example where in my head I went "I'm going on a bit much about RPat here" and had to bring it back around quicker.

Oh, and Corm's not my brother, although I wish he was, hahahaha. We just both happen to be named Michael. And yeah, we're the kind who actually still call each other to discuss day to day stuff or movie stuff, so the hour and a half didn't entirely surprise us.

And then yeah, as for the structure, was thinking of you there too but it's also a pet peeve of mine when a podcast has too much chit chat before getting to the actual subject (I guess I already say this in the recording). We're going to be experimenting a bit over time, but I don't see this part of the structure changing.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on April 09, 2020, 01:45:14 PM
Quote from: Crewe on April 09, 2020, 08:38:30 AM

Just curious.
Good first show dude.

Wanted to take the time to address some of these, and thank you SO MUCH for your response Crewe.

I agree with the jolt. I initially listened with headphones, but in the car, the discrepancy between Corm's voice and my own is much more noticeable. That being said, the opening I recorded separately sounded better, so it seems to just be an issue with my proximity to my mic. THAT being said, I've already ordered a new, 360 degree mic, which is the kind of mic that Corm is using, so next time should be better.

Regarding the tangents, I remember your criticism earlier in this thread of podcasts where hosts interrupt each other, and then the thought is loss, never to be expounded on (I actually thought of you a bit while recording it to avoid certain nitpicks of yours that I know I actually do in daily life, like tangents that trail off and such, haha. I'm a big interrupter, unfortunately, hoping over time the podcast will train that out of me).

There were a few times I go on a tangent because it's relevant to a point I'm trying to make (I'm a big compare and contrast guy) and I had to be very conscious to keep it short and concise (the early tangent where I bring up, briefly, Good Time, The Lighthouse and Robert Pattinson is one example where in my head I went "I'm going on a bit much about RPat here" and had to bring it back around quicker.

Oh, and Corm's not my brother, although I wish he was, hahahaha. We just both happen to be named Michael. And yeah, we're the kind who actually still call each other to discuss day to day stuff or movie stuff, so the hour and a half didn't entirely surprise us.

And then yeah, as for the structure, was thinking of you there too but it's also a pet peeve of mine when a podcast has too much chit chat before getting to the actual subject (I guess I already say this in the recording). We're going to be experimenting a bit over time, but I don't see this part of the structure changing.

Nice. Im wondering about mics too. I bet I could just buy an adapter because I already have lav xls mics for my job, so I won't have to invest a lot to begin with.

I remember you saying that before lol and honestly, I thought this was a respectful conversation. Interruptions will happen, they just will, but being cognizant of the other instead of just continuing to speak over, or louder, thatswhen its just a no go for me, which you guys didnt do, or I didnt notice anyway.
But it is a problem, right? I mean, thats why I cant listen to ESPN AT ALL. Guys just scream and holler to talk over each other and dont let anyone finish a thought, and worse, don't even acknowledge what the other is saying, that irritates the hell out of me, so those are the kins of things I encompass when I say interrupting lol

Tangents add flavor to the discussion IMO as long as people dont get lost and forget their point, because if they, then I surely did lol
Being aware of that is an awesome feat, and I thought you held it together well.

That's a great point too about a long lead in.
Office Ladies does this sort of too.
You'll have to spoiler alert if you do one I haven't seen and the one you mentioned at the end of maybe doing, I haven't seen it so I may have to sit one out lol

Im still thinking o doing a one off podcast, just a trial by myself toes if I could get the hang of it and have the interest.

Haha! Where did I get he was your brother? lol Oh well, my apologies to whoever deserves it ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Alright, second episode, audio fixed and far better editing. We're still finding the balance between having some form of analysis and also being ourselves and not a copy of other shows, but I think this is definitely an improvement from the test episode.

Anyways, I won't promote every episode here, but I'm much happier with this result and wanted to share. In this episode, we watch 1983's "The Hunger," directed by Tony Scott and starring Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie and Susan Sarandon. It's my first viewing, and I went in with 0 knowledge, haha.

I hope you enjoy!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=130470591944816&id=114943746830834

Crewe

Cool, Ill check it out soon

Crewe

I think I brought this up before, but the Sopranos re watch podcast has been up for a bit now, I think they are on episode 6 of Season 1.
This is the one with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa.
I think Im going to do a rewatch and listen to this, or try, but Ill let them get ahead a bit because its too hard early on.
Ive tried it with the Office Ladies. While a cool cast and I love those girls, it becomes saturated at some point. Im sure Ill get bak but we will see.
Im much more interested in the Sopranos than the Office anyway.
These guys have guests on that were in the show which always adds to a cast IMO.

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com

I just discovered this too, another Sopranos podcast with Drea De Matteo (Adriana LaCerva) and Chris Kushner (not on the show, just her best friend)
and they have guests on to talk Sopranos but they arent people from the show, so I guess a fandom sort of thing.
https://made-women.simplecast.com/?utm_source=podnews.net&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=podcast-page

Oh, and I will probably never get around to this unless I hear great things, but the two Soprano kids (Jamie Lynn Sigler and Robert Iler) launched their own podcast too, but it's not a re watch thing.
I dont know much about it except that they have a Youtube channel in which all (or some?) have their casts recorded via video which is cool.
It's those two and Kassem G and it's described as very free wheeling and unstructured. Aida Turturo (Janice Soprano) was on one show so they at least acknowledge Sopranos to a degree, maybe more, I just dont know much about it at all, yet.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pajama-pants/id1479743140