News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 Season

Started by Crewe, July 07, 2017, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

yea youre right about SI but we don't acknowledge that, curses and all....  ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Haha, I saw it on a comment on a Deadspin post and was just amazed.

In the meantime, I'm highly upset about Girardi leaving. This is an awful decision. I have to assume he wanted to leave for some reason, because if the Yanks chose not to renew him, that's a terrible decision.

Crewe

I read some Yanks fans weren't happy with his coaching but I didnt follow them all year so I have no opinion.

BojackHorsefella

Just want to point out, I saw a Cubs game last year in Chicago and then they won the World Series.

This year I saw Houston in person, twice (albeit in Seattle, not at their home park like I did Chicago).

I did not see LA.

Crewe

lol easy there. I have to turn off the post game early because they are tooting the Stros horn.
Can I just say, in previous championship series, be it the NHL, MLB, NFL, even when I didn't have a dog in the fight, always disliked one of the teams, a lot.
You'd think even moreso this year since my team is in it, but I have to say I really like the Dodgers, and given our history with them and how I hold on to grudges for decades, thats saying something.
This has been a very well played and professional series thus far. No showmanship, no taunting, no over the top celebrations, just pure fun, passion and emotion on both sides.
It can go at least 6 for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went 7. They were the winningest team in baseball after all.

My heart though....lol

Crewe

Dammit Gurriel!

ok, as much as I hate it, his suspension should begin in the WS, not next year, but I understand why.
Props to Darvish for wanting to move forward.

BojackHorsefella

As a sports fan, I'm glad it's next year so that's not hanging over the Series, now and in the future.

As a person, I'm conflicted.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 28, 2017, 05:06:41 PM
Dammit Gurriel!

ok, as much as I hate it, his suspension should begin in the WS, not next year, but I understand why.

Pretty much my take, although Darvish handled the aftermath a lot better than I would've/did. I've seen that stupid shit since grade school, and to this day it still angers me. We should be better than this.
Absolutely feel he should be suspended starting now but I get why he wasn't...oh well.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

What. A. Series. I hope this goes 7. I can't get enough of these two teams.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 28, 2017, 09:53:05 PM
Dammit Gurriel!

Pretty much my take, although Darvish handled the aftermath a lot better than I would've/did. I've seen that stupid shit since grade school, and to this day it still angers me. We should be better than this.
Absolutely feel he should be suspended starting now but I get why he wasn't...oh well.

Exactly. I think his response is exactly what MLK would've stressed.
I was flogged in the Astros sub on reddit for suggesting he be suspended during the series. I was hit with all kinds of bombardments, thats not how the law works, union wouldn't allow it etc....yea I know, and I said I understood all that, but it doesn't mean thats how it should be.
NHL suspends players during the playoffs right? Everyone should. This wasn't a mystery. I mean its not like Zeke Elliot where theres no real evidence and needs a prolonged investigation. He did it, the whole world saw it, he shouldn't play. But I digress.

This is perhaps my own world but I go by my gut, cynical, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it, but after that incident and the aftermath today, I knew they would lose this game.
And Ill go you one further.... that so energized the Dodgers, and rightfully so, and the Astros would be too distracted, now you have to go back to Dodger stadium and rest assured they won't forget. Now its going to be hostile, thats a whole different animal now.
Essentially what Im saying is, the Astros just lost the World Series, mark my words.
Even if it goes 7, they will not recover.

On a side note, I do have to add this: Houston relievers cost us every single time.
In 80 it was Sambito and Forsch. In 86 it was Smith. In the 90's it was crack tater Johnson. Then later it was Brad Lidge and now Giles.

TheNorm

I've seen some crazy baseball games in my time, but wow...Game 5 was bonkers. Kershaw on the mound with an early 4 run lead? I thought that was it...but nope, the Astros stormed back a few times, and then forced the Dodgers to work some magic of their own to tie it and send it to extras. What a game, and what a series.

And now JV on the mound with a chance to win it all (and I'm biased, but that would've sounded a lot better in any of the previous 11 seasons)? I want to see him do it, but there's also a part of me that wants to see a Game 7...yeah, easy for me to say with really no dog in the fight.

Quote from: Crewe on October 29, 2017, 12:59:13 AM
Quote from: TheNorm on October 28, 2017, 09:53:05 PM
Dammit Gurriel!

Exactly. I think his response is exactly what MLK would've stressed.
I was flogged in the Astros sub on reddit for suggesting he be suspended during the series. I was hit with all kinds of bombardments, thats not how the law works, union wouldn't allow it etc....yea I know, and I said I understood all that, but it doesn't mean thats how it should be.
NHL suspends players during the playoffs right? Everyone should. This wasn't a mystery. I mean its not like Zeke Elliot where theres no real evidence and needs a prolonged investigation. He did it, the whole world saw it, he shouldn't play. But I digress.

This is perhaps my own world but I go by my gut, cynical, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it, but after that incident and the aftermath today, I knew they would lose this game.
And Ill go you one further.... that so energized the Dodgers, and rightfully so, and the Astros would be too distracted, now you have to go back to Dodger stadium and rest assured they won't forget. Now its going to be hostile, thats a whole different animal now.
Essentially what Im saying is, the Astros just lost the World Series, mark my words.
Even if it goes 7, they will not recover.

On a side note, I do have to add this: Houston relievers cost us every single time.

In 80 it was Sambito and Forsch. In 86 it was Smith. In the 90's it was crack tater Johnson. Then later it was Brad Lidge and now Giles.

I don't know, man...I think Dave Roberts management of the Dodgers bullpen has really opened the door for the Astros. He's coddled his starters a bit too much at the expense of the bullpen, and it's starting to show.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

thats an interesting link about the baseballs. So the league wants more HR's in the WS? say it aint so  :popcorn:

Im surprised we've been able to get to their pen, but IM thinking that they can't be crappy forever and they are more talented than ours.

I thought we would lose Game 4 and Game 5, but in that shootout, who knows. I still feel like they won't respond well to the hostilities in LA.
They are certainly capable of it for sure, but I guess Im just disappointed in Gurriel and believe it killed the teams mojo.

On a national stage, which we rarely visit, I was hoping we would be represented well and that just didn't help.
the fans giving Gurriel a standing ovation didn't help in my mind but I guess, what else were the fans supposed to do?
Following his career, I realize that is probably not indicative of his character or the type of person he is, its just a sad situation. Maybe Im making more of it than it is, I dunno.

BojackHorsefella

I'm with Norm on this one. Having no dog in the fight, I'd like to see this go to Game 7. And, lets be honest, that doesn't mean Verlander has to fail considering the way these bullpens are getting destroyed.

Yeah, I came in with it 4-0 last night and kept watching (at least until the girlfriend was ready to finish up Stranger Things). I thought "Well, maybe that's it and I won't miss much." Next thing I know it's 9PM here on the west coast and the game is in JUST THE BOTTOM OF THE SEVENTH?! WHAT?!

If this ends with Game 6, and it's as close and explosive as Games 2 and 5, I don't care if it doesn't go 7, this may very well qualify as one of the best World Series ever.

Crewe

I hope it is considered one of the best once its over. I also feel confident it will go 7, LA will be pissed off and fired up moreso than game 4.
Obviously I hope it ends Tuesday