UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on April 30, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
Quote from: Rigg44 on April 30, 2019, 11:35:10 AM
It was very good.  The final experiment was priceless. Like all conspiracies or nutball ideas, no matter the evidence presented they will not budge from their beliefs.  To do so would mean having to redefine themselves.

Thats why it's so sad. To me, its not about the earth being flat. It's so these socially awkward, lacking or anxious types can all be together because they have little or no healthy relationships. Cue Mark Sargent

That ending was absolutely top notch!

I agree completely.  I think you can place almost any conspiracy theory in that category.  At first it's just a guy with an idea but once it becomes a movement with a community around it, the evidence doesn't matter.  At that point its all about protecting their community from dissipating.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on May 01, 2019, 11:08:20 AM
It was very good.  The final experiment was priceless. Like all conspiracies or nutball ideas, no matter the evidence presented they will not budge from their beliefs.  To do so would mean having to redefine themselves.

Thats why it's so sad. To me, its not about the earth being flat. It's so these socially awkward, lacking or anxious types can all be together because they have little or no healthy relationships. Cue Mark Sargent

I agree completely.  I think you can place almost any conspiracy theory in that category.  At first it's just a guy with an idea but once it becomes a movement with a community around it, the evidence doesn't matter.  At that point its all about protecting their community from dissipating.

One of the great lines was when Sargent said, "all the scientists do is throw math at us." lol

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on May 01, 2019, 11:27:34 AM

One of the great lines was when Sargent said, "all the scientists do is throw math at us." lol

That was good.  I also like the way his mother, to me at least, seems to be rolling her eyes internally.  She supports him because he is her son but I got the feeling she sees it for what it is.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on May 02, 2019, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: Crewe on May 01, 2019, 11:27:34 AM

That was good.  I also like the way his mother, to me at least, seems to be rolling her eyes internally.  She supports him because he is her son but I got the feeling she sees it for what it is.

a son only a mother could love...and a flat earther lol

Crewe

A Star is Born (2018)
Bradley Cooper / Lady Gaga

First things first, this is not a comparison to any of the three previous A Star is Born films.
Cooper plays country rocker Jackson Maine who is an alcoholic and pill popper who is on the downside of his career.
After a concert, he begs off the itinerary to go to the nearest local bar. What he finds are cross dressers performing at a local dive where Ally (Gaga) exhibits her talents on the small stage. Jackson seems instantly tuned in to who she is or wants to be and latches on to her immediately.
Then we have a contrived scene or two to get us to where we can witness the evolution of this relationship.
This is an emotionally driven, powerful story done right by Cooper in his directorial debut. Lady Gaga plays Ally, whom I really have no opinion of one way or the other. In fact, the only two things I know of her are the meat dress and the Super Bowl halftime show.
Turns out she was a wise choice here, emitting such raw visceral passion on screen is something to see in this film and Cooper stays right with her in telling their story.
At just over 2 hours, it might seem long, and I am usually a bit wary of such a long run time, but it was paced pretty well throughout, always providing new information, moving forward with the story.
Sam Elliott, who I think knocks it out of the park no matter what he does, plays Maine's older brother. That in itself was one issue I had albeit minor, who would believe those two aged so far apart could be brothers? Nonetheless, it doesn't interfere with the story or direction butis just another layer to this deeply themed film.
One issue I do have is that during the first act, there's really no clue as to the passage of time and I found my self lost somewhat, trying to figure out where exactly were we in the timeline of this relationship.
A few other glitches here or there do not negate any part of this film that examines these characters on such a deeply emotional level.
The music industry is not really examined here although it is a huge part of the story and should not be overlooked as it is an important tentacle in the narrative we see unfolding before us.
The music is good, but its not even close to a musical film so that shouldn't weigh negatively if you are thinking it might be a deterrent for you.
The cinematography is splendid and Coopers directing along with the actors tuned in (silly pun) so tightly to this story projects a terrific experience on screen.

And a few tidbits if you didn't know. Cooper trained for over a year on guitar and vocal lessons for this movie. While the singing was his though, the guitar playing was not. That would be Lukas Nelson, Willie's son, a gifted musician as you might well imagine.
I read an article where he said he gave Bradley Cooper a five to six rating on his guitar skills to which Cooper responded with, he's being too generous.
it comes off believable though as do the concerts, which one, incidentally, was filmed during one of Willie Nelson's shows. And here's some irony for you, it was right before Kris Kristofferson performed and he was of course, in the last A Star is Born with Barbara Streisand.

So, yes, Id recommend this movie, for sure.
I really enjoyed the statements this film made on all levels and was truly captivated by the message.
Understandably, its not everyones cup of tea, and many dislike it for spite simply because it was well received.

4.25 / 5

Spoiler
Chris Cornell came immediately to mind when I was watching the nd of this film. I wonder, if on any level, minimal as it might be, if that was in any way in Cooper's mind when co writing and directing this movie?

Other points:
I read one reviewer rail on the fact about the nose thing. About how Cooper was saying to Gaga, I want the whole billboard (of Ally) to be your nose.
If you're reading this, you know the nose was one of her self conscious concerns after being told over and over she wasn't pretty enough to make it
And this guy was just over the top about it. Her nose? How stupid!
Well, one, it only recurred a couple of times, and it was romantic banter, because thats what couples do you moron. Two, he told her from the beginning she was beautiful, talented and to be who you are, which is in fact the entire point of the fucking film, you dolt.

I was really moved by the debut of Shallow in the film when Ally rushed on stage capturing her moment. Atacking her fears head on. I think only a musician would have been able to pull that off, not just an actress.

The death of Jackson was quite tragic as well. His depression, alcoholism and drug use bettered him anyway, even though he came out recovery seemingly knowing what he had and intended to hold on to it. The Rez character, representing the music industry is what destroys them both. It's very sad and its very real, unflinching and unapologetic.
That long closeup of Jackson in the garage, waiting to close the door as he's deliberating was impeccably timed and Cooper poured his soul in to that shot. Amazing sequence.

Crewe

Captain Marvel
Brie Larson

I decided to keep up with the new stuff since my run on Marvel flicks a while back to catch up.
This will be brief. I liked it, but it was over the top and campy in spots. I guess it has to be though since its a comic book.
Larson seems somewhat athletic and is able to pull off the move set required for the most part, although catching her running from behind is not the most super hero esque. I noticed a few wire gags that didn't translate well, though not her fault, mostly direction.
She is leaps and bounds better than Scarlet Johansson who I cannot take seriously on any level as a super hero.

3.5/5

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 30, 2019, 03:56:59 PM
She is leaps and bounds better than Scarlet Johansson who I cannot take seriously on any level as a super hero.

Technically speaking, Black Widow is a master spy, not a super hero. :P

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 30, 2019, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 30, 2019, 03:56:59 PM

Technically speaking, Black Widow is a master spy, not a super hero. :P

A spy can't be a super hero? Do the Avengers know about this?   ;)
Banter notwithstanding, Black Widow is terrible in action scenes, super hero or not, IMO anyway

TheNorm

Haven't done reviews in awhile, so I figure I'll just post these here since this seems to be the more active of the movie threads of late...

Avengers: Endgame
You know the f'ing actors already
Absolutely f'ing loved it. Was a fun and emotional roller coaster ride of a movie and the performances were great. Seen it three times and I still tend to get the feels in the same spots. Might even try to see it one more time in the hopes that it can break Avatar's box office record, because let's face it: for all the good stuff James Cameron has done, Avatar flat out sucked. There, I said it. 5/5

Always Be My Maybe
Randall Park, Ali Wong
Great little rom/com, and it's nice to see Randall Park get some notice-dude deserves some long overdue love. Also partial to films that attempt to break stereotypes, and this one does. Keanu Reeves also has the cameo of the year (so far). 4.5/5

Spider-Man: Far From Home
Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zendaya, Samuel L. Jackson, Jacob Batalon, Jon Favreau, Marisa Tomei

IMO this really was the movie that needed to happen after the events of Endgame and is a great cap on Phase 3 of the MCU. Explains some of the events and the aftermath, and is also a bit more lighthearted in tone. Tom Holland solidifies his spot as the best Spider-Man, and Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome too. Some great twists as well, and sets up quite nicely not just for the next Spidey film but also for Phase 4. 4.75/5

Yesterday
Himesh Patel, Lily James, Ed Sheeran, Kate McKinnon

First time I saw the trailer for this a few months ago I was hooked on the premise: the world wakes up one day not knowing the Beatles ever existed...except for one guy. In the hands of the guy that directed Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later (Danny Boyle) and written by the guy that wrote Love, Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral (Richard Curtis), this movie is really quite good and the story moves along pretty well. Part rom/com, part tribute to the greatness of the Beatles. Really enjoyed this one and I've even been jamming the Beatles as I write this post. Worth checking out. 4.25 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

huh. 2 of these were on my list. I may have just added 2 more

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on July 11, 2019, 09:59:21 PM

Always Be My Maybe
Randall Park, Ali Wong

Spider-Man: Far From Home
Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Zendaya, Samuel L. Jackson, Jacob Batalon, Jon Favreau, Marisa Tomei

Yesterday
Himesh Patel, Lily James, Ed Sheeran, Kate McKinnon

https://letterboxd.com/bucfever/ - gonna pimp this again, haha. Ratings, a best of the year list, and my quick "Is It Worth It? Yes or No" review style.

As far as these guys go, I'm mostly in agreement (although I've been less merciful this year in my star ratings vs last year when I was handing out 5 stars like candy).

I thought Spider-Man Far From Home was really good, but a bit overstuffed. The Spider-Man stuff all worked, and the scene with him and Happy towards the end was the best "reminiscing about Stark" moment of the movie, for sure, but a lot of the other matters were a bit cluttered. Still, typical Marvel, a really fun and entertaining movie and worth seeing. Plus, wow, way to absolutely nail the character of Mysterio on their first try.

Naturally, growing up, I never enjoyed rom-coms because I was a boy and rom-coms were icky and fatuous. Nowadays, I appreciate the rom-com. I enjoy the somewhat lower stakes and the airy, breezy plots they tend to contain. But, as most people may have noticed, the days of My Best Friend's Wedding and Notting Hill are long gone from theaters.

Fortunately, there's Netflix.

Netflix has been doing great work in the rom-com area, and I agree, Always Be My Maybe was an absolute hit. Some third act issues, but Randall Park and Ali Wong are exceptional and of course that Keanu cameo was fantastic.

Yesterday I liked for the same reason, although I had advanced warning. When I heard Danny Boyle, the guy who did Trainspotting, who did 127 Hours, who did 28 Days Later, who did Sunshine, was doing a movie about the Beatles vanishing and one guy remembering, I didn't know what to expect but I thought it was going to be something profound and powerful a true commentary on art and culture.

Instead, we got a romantic comedy. It does touch somewhat on the cultural impact and importance of the Beatles, but nowhere near as much as I was hoping for.

That being said, this is why expectations are the death of positive reviews, and fortunately my expectations were lowered due to reading the Twitter reviews. As a rom-com, the movie works. Himesh Patel is fantastic, Ed Sheeran is....funny, I guess? But it's a good enough story and obviously any fan of the Beatles will love it.

There has been a LOT of discussing via the internet about the movie missing the point of The Beatles, and the context and timing of their releases alongside the whole world (Ob La Di, Ob La Da was used specifically as an example of a popular song that basically only exists because by that time the Beatles were THE BEATLES and could do no wrong). Also, there's a scene at the end that some people find to be in truly poor taste, although, while I understand their arguments, I simply disagree with their statement as a matter of opinion.

That being said, as per my review, it's worth seeing, especially if you enjoy the Beatles. There's one scene towards the middle involving a yellow submarine that literally had me break out in the biggest smile of the movie, I felt the joy and relief Himesh Patel's character was experiencing in that moment because the same thing that was dogging him had been dogging me the whole movie. Really enjoyable.

And this is why I should never talk movies, because I get going and I just don't stop, haha.

Crewe

I could talk movies all day long :D

TheNorm

Bit the bullet and created a Letterboxd account as well...I'll work on it later lol.

Yeah, I'm typically pretty generous with my ratings but whatever...they're mine haha. Odds are if I enjoyed it on some level it's at least gonna get a 3.5 from me, and I'm pretty sure my scores here have landed mostly in the 4-5 star range.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on July 12, 2019, 05:53:05 PM
Bit the bullet and created a Letterboxd account as well...I'll work on it later lol.

You'll have to give me your username once you do!

Hey, as long as we're all here:

Midsommar

Saw this the day before Spider-Man with kiddo (who is 13 now! if I have to feel this old, so do you!) I'm one of the rare people who didn't like Hereditary. Don't get me wrong, Hereditary wasn't bad, but I bought into ALL of the hype about how terrifying it was, and I feel like it did not deliver in that regard for me. Was a good family drama and had some interesting ideas, but it completely lost its way in the third act, plus, the plot was basically the exact same as Paranormal Activity 3, which made it predictable to me (bad on Ari Aster's part, or the sacrifice of seeing many movies? I blame myself.)

Anyways, with Midsommar I lowered my expectations and simply hoped for an enjoyable movie. For 2/3s of the movie, it delivered on that. A lot has been written about Aster's usage of shocking, gory and violent imagery in Hereditary, and the trend certainly continues with Midsommar. It does also help knowing that he wrote the movie after a breakup, which clearly influenced a lot of the plot lines throughout the film.

That being said, something that happened with Hereditary happens here. Aster sets up his 4 Americans and one Swede friend, establishes their basic foundations (basically, all friends of the dude Christian, plus his girlfriend), and sends them onto Sweden to participate in the Midsommar festival.

Christian and one of the other characters decide they both want to do their college thesis on the midsommar festival, although for Christian it's more opportunistic and for his friend it's actually because of his passion for anthropology. It's through this lens of the studying of other cultures that are unfamiliar from our own that the movie really starts to ask its questions about family, traditions, and modern values vs past values. There are horrifying things we see that the Swedish folk are completely numb to or, even, celebrate instead of being horrified. It could all be very interesting if Aster had any desire to actually say anything about it.

Instead, we end up focusing primarily on Christian and his girlfriend Dani. Florence Pugh does give a great performance, but as far as the characters go, they're never fully developed. They're broad strokes, Christian's sort of the unambitious slacker and inconsiderate of others, Dani's the girl who takes the world on her shoulders and clings to others after losing her family merely weeks ago (something covered at the very start of the movie).

It's a neat prism, contrasting her need for people to the way that Christian uses those around him, and it does set up the main conflict throughout the film, but the rest of the plot gets in the way. The side characters are dealt with in their own ways, but it feels almost obligatory, and the way they are simply never mentioned again is kind of...lazy? Once again third act issues plague the movie, as Hereditary decided to make a mad dash to the end of the film, Midsommar suffers from the same rush. After taking its time at a leisurely pace, everything picks up and your eyes are flooded with happenings stuffed into too short of time to fully even recognize what's happening.

Now, again, kiddo and I are in the minority when it comes to our opinions on Hereditary, and we seem to be the same here with Midsommar. Aster's got talent, he has skills, but he's still too gimmicky and unpolished. Those traits will carry him for a while, but, you only need to look at M. Night Shyamalan to see just how far gimmicks can get you when the story doesn't hold up.

Now watch me change my mind the first time someone writes a deep dive article on this movie and points out every little thing I missed.

3.5/5

TheNorm

TheNorm41!

Like I said, might be a bit before I get around to adding stuff to it, but I will. :)