News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: cflnut on September 05, 2018, 11:05:36 AM
If you had to recommend someone play five games to really get a feel for you/your tastes, what five would you pick?

1. Canadian Football - I'm pretty sure that with the user name I have that this one speaks for it's self.
2. Final Fantasy 4 or 6 - I think these two are the best in the series and the only two I still play regularly today.
3. Dungeon Quest 1st edition (1985) - My dad and I used to play this game a lot. It became our one of our go to games on game night when I was growing up.
4. Banished - Found this game on Steam and have rather enjoyed it. I love empire building games and this one is one of the better ones I've played.
5. Hero Quest (Board Game) - A simplified version of Dungeons & Dragons, That focuses more on exploration and combat then free form adventure.

If you like Hero Quest, try dungeon saga by mantic games. Its sorta a modern version of it. Or try descent (fantasy) or Star wars imperial assault (sci fi)

rollntider

If you had to recommend someone play five games to really get a feel for you/your tastes, what five would you pick?
(board games)

1. Marvel Legendary - This is a card game that captures the marvel universe pretty well. You can put your favorite heroes against that evil bad guy. Its cooperative since everyone is going against the baddie, but yet at the end of the game you can see who was the over all winner. They also have firefly, aliens, predator, but marvel is the best to me. The one knock against it is the setup and take down. But with organization it is not bad. One of my favorite games.

2. Bang! - this comes in several themes, western, walking dead, Blizzard (starcraft, warcraft etc) and halo. Played all but Halo and they are all fun. best with 7 players, 3 heroes, 3 villains and 1 traitor, all doing different goals and only 1 person is revealed and you all have to figure out who is who. I have the walking dead and bliazzard versions

3. Star wars Imperial Assault - Like hero quest or DnD lite in space but with star wars. A lot of fun. 1 person is the imperial forces (DM) and everyone else is the rebels. My base set is fully painted :)

4. Sentinels of the multiverse - Another card game where everyone fights for a common goal of beating the bad guy. Where as Legendary is a deck builder, this each hero has a set deck and generic heroes (no dead pool here people, you have Guise, no superman either you have legacy) Its a great game and everyone i introduced it to loves it.

5. Shadows of Brimstone - Another dungeon crawler but with cowboys and Cthulhu theme. Your characters actually level up, buy new gear and loot,  and there are bunches of missions. Think of a Diablo type game but in board game format. The one thing that turns people off is that you have to put the figures together. I love this game it is actually my favorite game ever. Both of my base games are painted. This one is different from Hero Quest, or Imperial Assault, everyone is on the same team, no Dungeon master, the enemy is AI controlled. Although one person could control the monsters to change the flavor a bit and get another person involved. I have introduced this game to D&D vets to board game noobs and everyone loved this game.

http://prestonstahley.com/games/shadows-of-brimstone-painted-minis/

Crewe

Not sure I can come up with five but Ill try:
1 Axis and Allies - same reasons ring mentioned
2 Pay dirt football - I liked it better than Strat O Matic but both were good.
3 NCAA 14 ala norm
4 MLB The Show - because, baseball
5 Craps - strategy along with a mountain of luck, tense fun

Crewe

Really just for me, but...
Top 5 Burt Reynolds films

1 Deliverance - he always regretted doing the Cosmopolitan centerfold which he feels damaged this films chances at Oscars not to mention why he wasn't nominated
2 Smokey and the Bandit - I still get the eye roll when I mention this film, but I stand by it always. Its a great piece of entertainment and Americana and doesn't pretend to be more than it is, and at the same time, showcased some of our greatest talents.
3 The Longest Yard - Billed as a comedy but actually more of a dramedy and I take it as a personal affront when folks mention that Sandler led POS
4 Boogie Nights - he finally received a script allowing him to exhibit his acting abilities
5 Sharky's Machine - A film he directed and which famous stuntman Dar Robinson worked, executing a great gag.

And instead of starting a new thread...
5 things you probably didnt know about Burt Reynolds

1 He did a centerfold for Cosmopolitan magazine
2 He was a Hollywood stunt man which bridged into his acting career. Also where he met Hal Needham who wrote and directed Smokey and the Bandit as well as famous stuntman Dar Robinson
3 He played college football at FSU and with a promising career, blew out his knee in the first game of his sophomore year, ending his dreams
4 Roomed with Lee Corso at FSU
5 During a stunt on City Heat (1984) with Clint Eastwood, he was hit in the face with a metal chair causing him TMJ for which he acquired a deep addiction to pills and a weight loss so great, mags were reporting he had AIDS. The TMJ caused him pain the rest of his life.

Rigg44

Top 5 Burt Reynolds films

1 Longest Yard- Love the movie and as was mentioned above more of a dramedy than a comedy.  I on the other hand dont mind the Sandler remake, not as good but....
2 Smokey and the Bandit -  Hey we love the movies we see as kids that make an impact.  I found this movie hilarious as a kid and still do today.
3 Hooper- INMO one of the most underrated Reynolds films.  This movie is Burt at his best.
4 Canon Ball Run-  This movie is hilarious and one of those films that as a teenager I could not watch enough.
5 Best little whore house in Texas-  Only Burt Reynolds could make me like a musical.

Crewe

absolutely loved Hooper as well.

BojackHorsefella

If you have Amazon Prime Video Crewe, his final movie is on there (I think it's called "The Last Movie Star.") I haven't seen it but kiddo watched it and said it was pretty good.

TheNorm

One of his later roles, but I loved his character in Mystery, Alaska.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on September 07, 2018, 02:06:35 PM
If you have Amazon Prime Video Crewe, his final movie is on there (I think it's called "The Last Movie Star.") I haven't seen it but kiddo watched it and said it was pretty good.

I do and thanks for the reminder!

Wholeheartedly agree norm! My cousin and I were discussing the fact that his role in that film wasn't mentioned at all among his others and it should have been.

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/AGeekwithaHat/status/1036579654386167808

1. The West Wing - My favorite Aaron Sorkin show, and tends to align with where I fall. Sorkin's The Newsroom almost made this list too, but with only five I sided with this.

2. Scrubs - ER was the one that got me wanting to be a nurse, and I'd love so much to get away with talking to people like House MD did...but this show was the one that tends to be closest to hospital life. Let's just pretend the last season never happened.

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - my favorite Joss Whedon creation. Bunch of action with some incredible dialogue, it was a ton of fun for me. I really wish Firefly had the success that this and Angel had.

4. Parks and Recreation - this became my favorite ensemble comedy quickly, and I felt like I related to a lot of these characters.

5. 24 - hit many of the things in my wheelhouse: espionage, political thriller, secret agent stuff, and some good old fashioned kicking ass and taking names by one Jack Bauer.

Shows I wanted to include but couldn't: Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica (the reboot), How I Met Your Mother, Batman: The Animated Series, So You Think You Can Dance, Chuck
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

This is tough, and one of these won't be relatable to you younger types but here goes:

Dick Van Dyke Show
Just pure comedy that was able to touch on topics still relevant today without hitting you over the head. DVD is a comical genius and I dont use that term lightly.
This touches on my idea of just finding everything funny, and the subtleties and realities of life we all encounter and how I cope.

Cheers
This encompasses my love of the desire for what Cheers actually was; a neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name. Pop in at any time and you'll have friends there. No need to arrange an outing which is such an ordeal, just stop by.

Im with norm here. My wanton rage for those that deserve it is thoroughly satisfied via Jack Bauer.

The Wire
This show is an example of the cold, hard, gritty world and the inevitable hopelessness to truly find nobility in our government on any level. I usually tend to temper this view in my life with a balance of optimism as well, but its always there.

Deadwood
Shows my love and interest of this era and how it correlates to the rest of the country during industrialization.

Honorable mention:
Sopranos exhibits my fascination with the mob and how it affects those around them as well as society. No real association with my makeup which is why I left it off and went with The Wire.
The Office just my sense of humor and appreciation of good writing exhibiting character and story development afar as sitcoms are concerned.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on September 26, 2018, 01:37:33 AM
https://twitter.com/AGeekwithaHat/status/1036579654386167808

1. Six Feet Under - Quite possibly my favorite show of all time (#2 is making a push for it). My entire life I've been fearful of death, which is the main topic that Six Feet Under tackles (although, I suppose an argument could be made that the main topic is life, but, I digress). Charming, devastating, Six Feet Under has an amazing cast that just gels so perfectly with each other as a believable family (and friends). It also helps that, in my past, I identified far more than I'd like to admit with Peter Krause's character Nate. I saw a lot of myself in this show, in the characters and the writing, and while I'm a better person now than I or Nate was while the show was on, I'll always find this as one of my formative shows.

2. Bojack Horseman - And then there's Bojack. What looks like a silly animated cartoon about a talking horse voiced by Will Arnett doing his best Gob Bluth impression is actually one of the most emotionally devastating on TV. Bojack himself is either bipolar (possible) or, in my opinion, more like to be Borderline. He doesn't really have manic episodes like a bipolar does, but he has a shit ton of childhood trauma, drug abuse and womanizing issues. So, again, unfortunately, I can relate with my past experiences (well, not so much the drug abuse, thank goodness). But, come for the pathos, stay for the hilarity as Bojack is, unlike any other show (even Six Feet Under), has such a perfect balance of the emotional and the hilarious. Every sign and banner is an opportunity for a joke, every scrawl on the bottom of a news report, and the call backs and foreshadowing are amazing. This is a show that absolutely rewards repeat viewings, as it usually takes me 2 or 3 watches of a season to notice all the hidden jokes and references. Definitely one of the best shows on TV right now.

3. Easy - This is another Netflix show, like Bojack. This is a relatively new one too, as it's only had two seasons. Fiance and I found it one night, and I love it. It's partly anthology, as each episode focuses on different characters, although some characters do show up again (there's 3 episodes involving two brothers who start a brewery which is great). I love this show because it's different, again, it has that anthology quality (like a Black Mirror or Twilight Zone) because some characters do only show up for one episode. But, amazingly, despite being a TV show and normally conflict would be necessary, this is a show where all the characters are open, honest and communicate their feelings with each other. No one keeps a secret because they're afraid of hurting someone or tries to fix a problem all on their own because they don't want the help or whatever the case may be (for a great example of characters unnecessarily keeping secrets and making things worse, see Walking, Dead The). Highly recommend to everyone.

4. Heroes - This is a weird one. I initially skipped on Heroes because I didn't really much network TV (still don't watch much). But, when everyone raved about it, I broke down and bought the first season on DVD and was instantly hooked.

And then the show went majorly downhill. Part of this was because of the writer's strike, which left some shows limping and killed off other shows (RIP, Journeyman). Heroes limped along for another 3 seasons before being cancelled, but what Heroes did teach me is to like whatever I like. I knew Heroes was shitty, I knew it likely was never going to reach the level of it's first season, but I loved it for what it was. I didn't need it to win Emmys, and it could basically be junk food TV, but I enjoyed it, and sometimes, that's all that matters.

5. X-Men - The 90s animated cartoon. Obviously, (well, maybe obviously), as a child, I didn't think about it much, but X-Men was a pretty prestige cartoon, certainly right up there with Batman: The Animated Series or the Spider-Man 90s cartoon on Fox. I think I probably have X-Men to thank for curating my brain to be attracted to those works that just try harder. Especially these days but also true back then, there's a lot of cartoons that are the lowest common denominator of jokes, flashy animation, whatever. There's not much to it. Kind of the opposite of what I learned from Heroes, X-Men taught me that my favorite things could always choose to be more, that they could always be more than just a cartoon, but could have something to say. This wasn't Ninja Turtles, feel-good animation (no offense to TMNT), but the X-Men faced real struggle and consequences throughout the series. I wish we had more shows like this on TV today.

Honorable Mentions - Batman: TAS; Spider-Man (90s), Louie (shudder), Archer (probably wouldn't have given Bojack a chance without Archer first), Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Better Call Saul (seriously, it's so good), Riverdale (pure, junky campy trash and I love every second of it).

Crewe

not to hijack the thread, but in addition, I thought SFU had a mental health thread always present, but maybe its just me.
Louie was well written IMO an BCS is a great show, the draw is how his character is in love with the law.
Back to original programming....

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on September 26, 2018, 02:14:49 PM
not to hijack the thread, but in addition, I thought SFU had a mental health thread always present, but maybe its just me.
Louie was well written IMO an BCS is a great show, the draw is how his character is in love with the law.

It was there, but they never really fully delved into mental disorders. I don't recall any character ever being diagnosed with anything and having to go through that ordeal (unlike, say, Ian's character arc in Shameless, which tackled it head on until it forgot about it). It was more of a general depression and anxiety mixture for all.

Oh, wait, no, except Billy. Yup, Billy had full on schizophrenia.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on September 26, 2018, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: Crewe on September 26, 2018, 02:14:49 PM

It was there, but they never really fully delved into mental disorders. I don't recall any character ever being diagnosed with anything and having to go through that ordeal (unlike, say, Ian's character arc in Shameless, which tackled it head on until it forgot about it). It was more of a general depression and anxiety mixture for all.

Oh, wait, no, except Billy. Yup, Billy had full on schizophrenia.
I dint state t clearly but thats what I was referring to, not a diagnosed issue....but Billy, yea...