News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Someone somewhere did a most quoted movie (might have been in the 30 Days of Movies challenge) but that was far too restrictive for me. Honestly, so is 5, but, whatever.

In no particular order:

1/2. Christmas Vacation/Vacation- And, honestly, I probably should've used this over Ghostbusters in the other thread, and this might genuinely be my number one. Every Christmas, it was basically me, my dad and my brother just quoting this movie at each other. "Lotta sap! Lotta sap!" I'll also pull a "Russ!" whenever my kid's right next to me and I want to say something to him. He responds to it, too.

3. Jaws - Watching this with kiddo on July 4th, I realized it really is one of the movies my dad and I quote all the time. From the entirety of the Indianapolis speech, to Drefyuss chuckling "They're all gonna die" and his little responses to Quint on the boat ("I'm not gonna take this abuse much longer....."). "You say barracuda, people say what? You say shark...and we've got a panic on our hands." I can just about quote the entire movie.

4. Ghostbusters - I mean, obviously. "That's a big twinkie." "So, she's a dog." I often use the "Nice shooting Tex!" line when playing my brother in NHL.

5. The Three Amigos - Another one we can almost quote. Not a birthday or holiday ever went by without my dad shouting "it's a sweater!" when unwrapping a gift, regardless of whether it's a sweater or not. Steve Martin's "It's real, it's all real" is still great. I actually went to a Three Amigos Quote-A-Thon at Bonnaroo, which was excellent.

Honorable Mentions: Cloverfield - A lot of time when I'm telling kiddo to get ready for us to leave for a movie or something, I'll say "rack 'em and pack 'em, we're phantoms in fifteen!" I don't know, I just loved that line since hearing it.

Moneyball - Almost daily I tell one of my cats, Spooky, "You're a good cat, Spooky, and we wish you all the best," which is what Billy Beane says to Jeremy Giambi when trading him, except substituting "ballplayer" for cat. I'm really just calling the cat a good cat, but it amuses me to add the whole quote to it.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - it really pains me to put this here. Years ago, this was easily in the #1 spot, but I just don't find many uses these days (it also doesn't help that kiddo hasn't seen it, a mistake I need to correct except the damn thing is only available on iTunes).

TheNorm

Top 5 most quoted movies? Sure, I'll play...

- Top Gun - yeah, this movie was such a part of my early teen years because it was f'ing incredible. I could still quote this entire movie.

- Big Trouble in Little China - My favorite Kurt Russell movie, period. "Everybody relax, I'm here." "Would you stop rubbing your body up against mine? Because I can't concentrate when you do that." "You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?" Who? "Jack Burton. ME!" ...and my favorite that I use almost anywhere: "Sooner or later, I rub everyone the wrong way."

- Super Troopers - Another one of those I could quote with the group of friends and just know it was gonna be a fun night. "How's the view from sugar heaven, bitch?"

- Ocean's Eleven - Just amazing how quotable this movie is, my brother and I could go awhile with this one.

- Mean Girls - I love how smart this movie is and how easily I can drop a lot of the quotes into conversation.

Probably left a few good ones out...actually I know I did (Pulp Fiction, The Princess Bride, Fletch), but oh well.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Oh man, Big Trouble In Little China. Woe to he who grabs me a knife, because they'll get to hear me say "That's a good knife. Time to die Mr. Burton."

I think my brother and I think the best line is Jack's "What?! What won't come back?!" after Egg Shen throws the smoke grenade at that monster in the sewer.

Crewe

Top 5 things you love right now

Anything, anyone, anywhere etc...

1. Summer, because fuck winter. Even shitty "32 degrees aint cold" Texas winters.
2. Six Feet Under. Deep storytelling, good characters, about to finish it up.
3. My vinyl setup
4. My dog, because
5. Astros, WS Champs (give me this, I rarely get to enjoy such things)

Rigg44

Top 5 most quoted movies? Sure, I'll play...

- Monty Python and the Holy Grail - At one point I could do the whole movie from memory.  " I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Big Trouble in Little China -  This movie is on everyone's list, right?  "When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

- Animal house- the first movie that became a go to for me early on. "Christ. Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the fucking Peace Corps."

- Super Troopers – Just an utterly quotable movie.  "Chicken Fu$%er"

- The Big Lebowski

I know there are more but it's a start

Rigg44

Top 5 things you love right now

Anything, anyone, anywhere etc...

1. My Kids.  Only reason I do what I do every day.
2. The Redskins. Its for life no going back.
3. My dogs.  There dogs what's not to love?
4. My faith.  Not organized religion but my individual faith.
5. Music. 

BojackHorsefella

Top 5 Things I Love Right Now

1) Immediate family (i.e. fiance and kiddo) - Obvious and necessary and true.

2) Books - all kinds of books. This doesn't really change that much, I always have and will, but yeah. Books. Reading.

3) Riverdale - this show is absolute campy trash melodrama and honestly it's exactly what I need after work and with just all the noise going on for the past 2 years now, basically.

4) MLB 18: The Show - still playing, just won another World Series as a member of the Astros (only play RTTS). Another relaxer and distraction from all the noise.

5) Baseball - Just, in general. Been a bit since my last Safeco visit, I keep planning to go with kid but then I blow my money on other stuff for us to do (which, to be fair, there's a lot here in WA to do). Was going to go to this Saturday's game against the White Sox but saving my money now for the Bite of Seattle festival. Still, though, MLB Network, live in-person or just checking on my At-Bat app, baseball has really been another escape for me these past 2 years, and I love it for it.

BojackHorsefella

Top 5 Opening Movie Scenes

(I already know I'm going to forget far more than I should)

1. Star Wars (A New Hope, if you will) - I mean, let's just be honest. Iconic, oft imitated, never duplicated. I may not have been around in '77, but I think it's safe to say everyone was sucked in by this.

2. Jaws - If you didn't know what's up, you certainly did after this opener.

3. The Godfather - Meet the characters, set the stakes. Enjoy a little vino while watching. Also, "he made him an offer he couldn't refuse."

4. Speed Racer - Tell me it isn't. You get all the style, flair, and absolute camp this movie has to offer, and much like Speed Racer himself this scene sets the pace for the rest of the movie. I love this movie.

5. Up - Extremely, utterly depressing, and yet tells you everything you need to know about Carl for the story that's about to be told. A mini-movie that tells it's own story with more heart and pathos than many full length features.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on July 24, 2018, 01:11:15 PM
Top 5 Opening Movie Scenes

(I already know I'm going to forget far more than I should)

1. Star Wars (A New Hope, if you will) - I mean, let's just be honest. Iconic, oft imitated, never duplicated. I may not have been around in '77, but I think it's safe to say everyone was sucked in by this.

2. Jaws - If you didn't know what's up, you certainly did after this opener.

3. The Godfather - Meet the characters, set the stakes. Enjoy a little vino while watching. Also, "he made him an offer he couldn't refuse."

4. Speed Racer - Tell me it isn't. You get all the style, flair, and absolute camp this movie has to offer, and much like Speed Racer himself this scene sets the pace for the rest of the movie. I love this movie.

5. Up - Extremely, utterly depressing, and yet tells you everything you need to know about Carl for the story that's about to be told. A mini-movie that tells it's own story with more heart and pathos than many full length features.

To say 12 year old me was in awe of the SW opening would be a vast understatement and I agree completely with your assessment.
Jaws? yea, fucked me up in my prime beach days lemme tell ya lol
Im a mob guy, so yea, certainly Godfather
So since you took some of mine, Ill offer up these...

Inglorious Basterds - supreme tense build up expertly achieved by Tarantino.

Goodfellas - Speaking of mob guys and talk about setting the stage. This for me, is still the movie that mirrors its book counterpoint so closely. Many times the dialog was lifted right out of the novel verbatim. Such an enthralling sprawling story.

Dazed and confused - in the first few seconds we have established, rock n roll, weed, chicks, muscle cars an high school. Alright alright alright.
On a side note, this could have been my school lol

Halloween - Again, the music! I wasn't even over Jaws yet and then this? Such a terrific POV, over 5 minutes IIRC, loved the psycho nod as well. I was always curious if Michaels intentions were to kill them both, but the BF leaves so its just his sister. Iloved the fact the killer was unmasked right away and there was no reason why, it was just evil incarnate, right, Loomis?

Scream - Absolutely loved this opening. Such a great trivia question that cost Casey her life. Drew Barymore getting offed in the first scene was a ballsy move and it paid off.

BojackHorsefella

Mad at myself for not going with Scream or Halloween.

I had debated Reservoir Dogs, but it wasn't high enough on my list. I like the Basterds choice though, yeah, I remember seeing that in theaters and just gripping my seat. I was on edge the whole time.

Love the Star Wars anecdote. See, those are the kinds of stories I was looking for in the Life Thread when I created it! Those first hand accounts, whether just a glimpse of life in a time we can't go back to or an "I was there" telling of a popular moment/time/whatever. Loved it!

thaima1shu

Up and Inglourious Basterds definitely would be in my top 5 each. For the sake of listing ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Drive - The driving sequence at the beginning was so cool.

2. The Dark Knight -- Was such a great introduction to the Joker.

3. Finding Nemo - I guess Pixar really likes their sad opening scenes.

4. The Matrix - First time I saw this, it just left me with a 'what the hell is going on?!' feeling.

5. Spectre - The entire Day of the Dead sequence with the single long tracking shot was awesome.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: thaima1shu on July 24, 2018, 07:46:13 PM
Up and Inglourious Basterds definitely would be in my top 5 each. For the sake of listing ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Drive - The driving sequence at the beginning was so cool.

2. The Dark Knight -- Was such a great introduction to the Joker.

3. Finding Nemo - I guess Pixar really likes their sad opening scenes.

4. The Matrix - First time I saw this, it just left me with a 'what the hell is going on?!' feeling.

5. Spectre - The entire Day of the Dead sequence with the single long tracking shot was awesome.

I can argue with none of these. Good call out on Spectre, I was disappointed overall with the movie but that opening scene was incredible.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on July 24, 2018, 04:56:08 PM
Mad at myself for not going with Scream or Halloween.

I had debated Reservoir Dogs, but it wasn't high enough on my list. I like the Basterds choice though, yeah, I remember seeing that in theaters and just gripping my seat. I was on edge the whole time.

Love the Star Wars anecdote. See, those are the kinds of stories I was looking for in the Life Thread when I created it! Those first hand accounts, whether just a glimpse of life in a time we can't go back to or an "I was there" telling of a popular moment/time/whatever. Loved it!

Well consider it a community effort ;-)
Agreed with Reservoir Dogs, same with Pulp Fiction for me.
Gee, I could bore you all day long with my movie experiences from back when. Smokey and the Bandit and Star Wars were the two films that began my  habitual enjoyment of watching movies over and over and over, to this day, they never get old just because it tickles that experience for me.

BojackHorsefella

One of these days I'll actually watch Smokey and the Bandit.

And Midnight Run.

One of these days.

Crewe

lol another fave is Midnight Run!
One of my professors was friends with the writer which was cool hearing second hand stories about the process