News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Name your top 5 Halloween movies

Started by Sakura, October 12, 2017, 08:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakura

By Halloween movies I mean something that you like to watch around this time, maybe it scares ya, not necessarily the Halloween movie franchise (although your favorites might draw from the franchise!).  :thumbsup:

My own personal top 5:
5. Lake Mungo (Found footage)
Lake Mungo is a faux documentary about a girl who dies in a freak accident, and through found footage they put together pieces of her life that reveal so much more about her.  It subverts the usual tropes and themes of found footage, which is nice, and the movie doesn't just look like a cheesy blair witch.
4. Bubba Hotep
Bubba Hotep is about a man who claims to be Elvis Presley living in an old folks home, who claims that he's the real Elvis and the one who died was an impersonator who he gave his life away to.  Living in an old folks home, he notices that folks around the home are dying much more frequently than they should, and with the help of his friend John F Kennedy Jr he decides to investigate.
3. The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead is the movie that launched Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi's careers, their take on Friday the 13th and other slasher movies.  When Ashly "Ash" Johnston and his sister go up to a cabin in the woods with their friends they are excited for a weekend of partying.  Not if the Necronomicon has anything to say about it!
2. As Above, So Below (Found footage)
A woman seeking answers to her father's death and seeking out the prize of his life, the Philosopher's Stone decides to investigate some leads that bring her to Paris, France.  With a group of urban explorers and some denizens living under the streets of the city they delve deeper into the labyrinthine maze beneath the streets of Paris, a world so strange that it seems like something out of the bible itself.
1. The Tunnel (Found footage)
An Australian reporter whose career is in jeopardy after a screw up she made last time decides that she needs to redeem herself, while looking into a problem surrounding the water reservoirs under the city of Sydney.  With a small crew she wanders into the sewers under the city, but after the group decides to tinker with a war-time gong in an underground bunker things go awry, and now they need to find their way out .. but they might not be alone!

I don't know if people would consider Evil Dead or Bubba Hotep "scary," but Bruce Campbell is one of my favorite actors, and I love the campy movies that he tends to be part of.  ;D

TheNorm

Fine, I'll play.

Honorable Mention (maybe it's cheating but I can't leave this one out): The Crow - I remember looking forward to seeing this film, especially with Brandon Lee (the son of Bruce Lee) in the starring role. I also remember some of the delays that had taken place during filming, and I recall reading some articles in early Entertainment Weekly issues detailing the troubles. And that was before the accidental shooting and death of Lee. After that, maybe out of morbid curiosity at that point I was really looking forward to it. It didn't disappoint. Story was pretty good, seeing Brandon Lee in his last appearance was bittersweet, and the soundtrack was amazing.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street - IMO, this is Wes Craven's best in the series, although Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a very close second.
4. The Exorcist - To this day this movie still trips me out.
3. Halloween - Can't beat the original, or the John Carpenter score.
2. Addams Family Values - Not really a scary movie, but this one is better than the first. Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston are still incredible as Gomez and Morticia, and Christina Ricci is also awesome once again as Wednesday.
1. Shaun of the Dead - I really can't explain why I love watching this movie around Halloween, but I have almost every year since the movie was released. To be fair, I also watch this movie whenever I see it on no matter the season because it's pretty damn funny.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on October 12, 2017, 10:18:13 PM
1. Shaun of the Dead - I really can't explain why I love watching this movie around Halloween, but I have almost every year since the movie was released. To be fair, I also watch this movie whenever I see it on no matter the season because it's pretty damn funny.

Same way with Zombieland. Loved that movie.

Not sure i have a top 5.But will try

#1 Beetlejuice
#2 Zombieland
#3 Texas Chainsaw massacre (The one with R Lee Ermy)
#4 The Strangers (Had Liv Tyler in it :D )
#5 The Cabin in the woods

Honorable mentions: Pet Cemetery, Tucker and Dale vs Evil (may not count but loved it)

Crewe

How? Did I miss this thread?
Appreciate the clarification that it doesn't have to be based on Halloween
Ok, so Im late, but here it is...

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original 1974)
This film just scared the ever loving crap outta me as a kid. The remake was watchable.

Halloween 1978
The original. That freakin score....

The Exorcist 1973
I didnt sleep until 1978....then Halloween arrived

The Shining
I mean, how can you not watch Jack lose his mind?

Evil Dead 1981
What sakura said

Some good ones listed here too, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Beetlejuice, The Crow

Rigg44

Long time no post but why not join in on this a few months late.

1. Evil Dead 2- love this movie
2. Dale and Tucker Vs Evil - I have never laughed so hard while someone was run through a wood chipper in my life.
3. Nightmare on Elm Street- this movie was great unlike those that followed.
4. John Carpenters- Prince of Darkness- I cant explain why I love this movie I just do
5. The Exorcist 1 and 3 

BojackHorsefella

I'll jump on this grenade with you Rigg.

In no particular order:

1. Phantasm - Years ago my buddy and I did a 24 hour horror movie marathon (I posted about it on BSB!) and that was the first time I saw this movie. This is easily the best, and scariest, although I love the following three sequels (I need to see the fifth still).

2. Halloween - I mean, come on. The original, with Michael Myers. Calling it a classic isn't enough, but this movie is still pretty terrifying.

3. Cabin in the Woods - And then we'll take the piss right out of all horror movies, except this one has an ending that tops them all, perhaps.

4. In the Mouth of Madness - Also a Carpenter flick (and part of what's referred to as his Prince of Darkness trilogy, which somehow includes this, Prince of Darkness and The Thing?). Starring Sam Neill, it concerns an author who's basically Stephen King (watch this movie and the thing you remember most might be the question "DO YOU READ SUTTER KANE"). It's Lovecraftian, it's expertly crafted, and it's horrifying. I hate horror movies that where reality shifts constantly because that's one of those things that just scares the heck out of me. This has it in spades. So good.

5. The Descent - Before this recent new wave of modern horror, The Descent was probably the only film in the 2000s that was really a great horror flick. Concerning a group of women spelunking, the fear is generated as much by the unnatural things they find as it is the natural ones (i.e., you know, being trapped in a cave). Also an excellent one with a mind screw of an ending. Never saw the sequel.