Main Menu

The 2017-18 NHL Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, September 21, 2017, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Here, you can watch it too.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1004928745050812416
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1004933971338199040

Sometimes...not very often, but sometimes, sports is pretty damn good.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

happy for Ovechkin and the Caps. Even though they weren't my team over the last year, it was still tough watching them go out the same way in the same round to the same team more than once. I know this has to be great for them.
That TJ thing man, thats just tough..so bittersweet to see moments like that. I do hope his dad does remember this one.

And way to follow up a serious tearjerker moment with a boobie post norm lol

rollntider

TheNorm

Yeah, the timing wasn't the greatest but I couldn't resist posting it haha.

Here, a history lesson on the Stanley Cup. As most of you are aware, the names of players/staff/etc. on the winning team are engraved on the Cup every year. However, to keep the trophy from becoming a gigantic tower (imagine players trying to lift that sucker while skating around the ice), once a new ring is added the oldest ring is removed from the top and permanently stored in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Well, some amazing players are about to come off of that Cup.

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1004931906952138752

Crewe

It's kinda sad to see the names coming off.
I love informing people about how special the Stanley Cup really is in that you get your name engraved on the hardware, immortality, unified with your brethren, each player getting the Cup for a day and that no other major sport offers that level of commitment to the player

TheNorm

Definitely bittersweet to see those names come off. Another thing I love about that trophy and the presentation: it's the players that get the Cup handed to them first. Might be a minor thing compared to the other sports, but I really like that.

Crewe

Most certainly. It's the only sport that truly created and honored its traditions

TheNorm

Like you mentioned, every player gets the Cup for a day or two...still think this is part of the team celebrations going on through the weekend, but if this is any indication the Caps are going to have a ton of fun this summer, Ovi's gonna be hammered a good portion of it, and I'm cool with all of it.  8)

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/1005576455311495168

Crewe

I just cannot grasp the elation of winning the Cup. Winning any championship is difficult, but the brutality and length of the playoffs and heartbreak year after year and to finally win...man, thats a high Id never come down from I don't think.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on June 09, 2018, 10:17:27 PM
Like you mentioned, every player gets the Cup for a day or two...still think this is part of the team celebrations going on through the weekend, but if this is any indication the Caps are going to have a ton of fun this summer, Ovi's gonna be hammered a good portion of it, and I'm cool with all of it.  8)

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/1005576455311495168

thats awesome lol