News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I saw that when flipping through...HBO, was it? Might have to flag the one too as Im running low in my queue

BojackHorsefella

Definitely do. You won't regret it.

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on May 14, 2018, 06:58:13 PM
I've seen people rave about Killing Eve online and on Twitter. Girl and I finished Barry last night (well, it was the season finale last night), so I think we may pick that up.

Also, seriously guys, watch Barry. It was only 8 episodes and absolutely incredible.

Agree this show is great

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2018, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on May 06, 2018, 09:50:42 PM
I was really apprehensive at first when it was announced, but Cobra Kai was impressive. I was worried they were going to make a mockery of the original source material, but they treated it with respect and this was a smart, well written show.

I just saw the trailer for this. Interesting. Worth a watch?

Anyone watched or heard about Killer Eve?

Absolutely, yes if you really enjoyed the original Karate Kid...since that's a Top 5 80's movie for me it was a foregone conclusion that I'd at least check it out. Worth the time.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Where I work it seems like the tv in the break room is on one of two channels (until I change it anyway): Food Network or HGTV. I couldn't care less about most of the shows on either of those channels, but Love It or List It is one I've found quite addicting.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I like chopped and diners drive ins and dives

Crewe

I meant to post this the other day, but I ramped up Six Feet Under again and just finished Season 4
So spoilers just in case
Spoiler

thus far I like the show.
I never realized what a good actor Michael C. Hall was until seeing his diversity in this series. I still don't think Krausse was the right guy for Nate, but he's not bad. Claire is spot on.
The storytelling is pretty good so far, it seems to stay on target pretty much although lagging in spots which any series will do given a good run.
A few characters were given more screen time than necessary and also used as fillers, i.e Billy Chenowith for example.
Really no surprises, I mean early on you know exactly what will happen to Nate but its how they approach it and still direct a good story.
Ill add that I seriously doubt intake interviews with the families are so consistently therapeutic as shown here. None of the funerals Ive had to head up resemble anything close the emotional scenes depicted on Six Feet, but I get it, we need drama.
Im enjoying it thus far and hope to finish up soon....

BojackHorsefella

I'm so proud of you Crewe. I love that show and it's one of the best.

Meanwhile the fiance and I have been watching Riverdale, which is absolutely campy trash and we love every moment of it.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 28, 2018, 11:43:24 PM
I'm so proud of you Crewe. I love that show and it's one of the best.

Meanwhile the fiance and I have been watching Riverdale, which is absolutely campy trash and we love every moment of it.

lol campy trash
yea, I would have never given this a look had you not touted it here. Im enjoying it

TheNorm

Throwing this out there again: Brooklyn Nine-Nine is pretty damn funny and worth checking out.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on June 30, 2018, 01:59:04 PM
Throwing this out there again: Brooklyn Nine-Nine is pretty damn funny and worth checking out.

My kid's in the middle of watching this so I've heard snippets while he's been visiting. I think the fiance and I will pick it up once we're done with this season of Queer Eye and season 2 of Riverdale. Finally caught up on MasterChef so that's one less show on the list (although we still need to watch the Preacher premiere).

Crewe

ok six feet under complaints, however trite they may be, still piss me off, not only here but in every show or movie...

Brenda is supposed to be somewhat knowledgeable about recreational drugs, so for gods sake could someone at least teach the actress how to hit a bong?
And ole lady Fisher, whose character admittedly doesn't like tequila, swigs about the equivalent of two to three shots like it was water with no reaction, at all. Look, I like tequila, and I drink it often, but no flipping way I can take a chug like that and shrug it off like it was iced tea.
Fuckin hell man, its not that hard to impart some semblance of reality. It just grinds my gears.

Sorry. As you were...

rollntider

I did 2 seasons of six feet under. I need to get back to it

Crewe

I just completed Six Feet Under, and with a caveat, I must say that is the finest tearjerking finale Ive ever seen.
Spoilers....
Spoiler
Now, Im sure Im misinterpreting this bit, but the finale ending was fine, it was great, until, we started flashing forward 80 years seeing all the cast die off in a music montage. Was this supposed to be for the viewer? Was it Claire reconciling life? I just can't see a need to add that in on top of what was a stellar closing scene. In any event, I really liked the show. Is it one of my top ever? I dunno, it could possibly squeeze The Shield out.
So here's my take on the characters:
Chenowith family.
They are all fucked, especially the mom which I guess was the point of Billy and Brenda being so messed up. That said, Billy was on a level all his own and I felt like they squeezed an arc in for him just because he was Brenda's brother and contributed to her convoluted life. Speaking of, Brenda, with her IQ and attitude was a twat like her mom, albeit not as bad. Her fears and torment are real and palpable, I just didn't enjoy her selfishness much.

Ruth Fisher is in contention for one of my favorites although that was an epic act of treachery dumping George like that, making him think they were moving in together.
I truly felt for her and the scene with her at Nate's funeral was downright devastating as was her scene in the finale with Claire. It made me think of Sally Field in Steel Magnolias.

David & Kieth. I liked these guys. We were allowed to see why Keith had his issues, but we didn't dive in further than we needed too and David's journey, although a bit amped up at the end, was really well told and supremely acted.

Federico and Vanessa were up and down, but overall I liked them. I didn't like Vanessa's sudden turn to good after being cold to Rico despite inviting him back him just to do chores. However, I did enjoy Rico's character devolve. I man we see him on a high note from the start, but as the series moves on, we get to see what a socially awkward inept man he really is and had he not found Vanessa in high school, who knows how he would have turned out. He could never get out of his own way, always screwing things up for himself, after separating of course.

George was one I didn't really latch on to after the shock treatments. I felt it was just glossed over that he was back to normal, but I really enjoyed the dynamic he brought to Ruth's character.

Melissa was a good one too but I sometimes felt she was filler, but maybe not as she played an integral part with Nate at the end.

And speaking of Nate, it was interesting seeing him develop as the main character, I mean it could have been anyone really, but him being tied with Brenda and all that baggage from the outset, well you knew that was the centerpiece.
I wasn't sure, even through two seasons that Krausse was the best actor for Nate, but afterwards, I think he did a wonderful job.
His character was always on the verge of understanding what he wanted his life to be and that happiness was the key but he cold never fully dive in without being jerked back into the old ways.

Lisa Fisher was one I really liked, a lot, until she trapped Nate. She ended up being the catalyst for Nate's demise, sending him back to Brenda without a chance of sincere happiness. I don't think they had to turn her into such a hard villain, but I suppose it worked, especially once we discover the means at which she met her end.

Then we come to Claire the teenage angst, the artsy lisberalwith no direction of life, the outcast. I appreciated how she was developed, without a loss of devotion to her family despite her darker path for a while. And by the way, what the ever lovin fuck with so many strangers living at that house?
Strangers at the family breakfast table no-ones ever seen before taking part in family business....that was really a stretch for me.
Strained relationship with her mom in later seasons only naturally reconcile through growth and maturity on both their parts. To have her take off like that, by the seat of her pants? I think thats something that is relatable to more than a few of us, or Ill speak for myself, but wonderful storytelling.
I don't know that I could watch it again, but I dont know that Id have to

BojackHorsefella

So what's everyone watching right now?

Current seasons of Masterchef and Food Network Star are on, so the fiance and I have been keeping up with those while we work our way through Riverdale on Netflix (as I said in another thread, it's absolute, soap opera, campy trash and we love it for it).

We're thinking, once we finish Riverdale, of doing a comedy and a drama. Possibly Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Americans, although there was another show she brought up the other day we could watch but it's escaping me right now.

Sharp Objects on HBO has been absolutely incredible so far, and I can't wait for Last Week Tonight to return from hiatus (although she says the show just stresses her out these days which...yeah).

Oh, and we have season 3 of Preacher on the DVR, but it's been pretty disappointing it's first two seasons, so we're waiting to have all the episodes and then we'll binge it. The first two seasons would have worked a lot better in a binge format than a weekly format.