News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

I wonder why

Started by rollntider, June 02, 2014, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

I wonder why domain hosting companies want to offer the low prices to get you to come to their hosting and then raise the prices on the renewals?  Wouldn't it be better to offer a better price all the time to keep customers?

Sakura

They do it because hostage loyalty.  Once you sign up with them, the fine print kicks in.  With most domain registrars, if you don't keep paying them to register your domain, they'll actually sit on and keep your domain for anywhere from 6 to 36 months.  Further, they might not even release the domain and just sell it to cyber squatters so they can extort you for the money to get it back.

And for actual hosting, they use your data as the hostage, if you didn't have the foresight to back up your data in advance of a plan expiration, they'll just dump the data and leave you with nothing.  That's the power of capitalism at its worst, and exemplifies exactly what capitalism is all about.

rollntider

Quote from: Sakura on June 04, 2014, 05:16:41 AM
They do it because hostage loyalty.  Once you sign up with them, the fine print kicks in.  With most domain registrars, if you don't keep paying them to register your domain, they'll actually sit on and keep your domain for anywhere from 6 to 36 months.  Further, they might not even release the domain and just sell it to cyber squatters so they can extort you for the money to get it back.

And for actual hosting, they use your data as the hostage, if you didn't have the foresight to back up your data in advance of a plan expiration, they'll just dump the data and leave you with nothing.  That's the power of capitalism at its worst, and exemplifies exactly what capitalism is all about.

Actually it does not exemplify what  capitalism is about. It exemplifies the opposite. We can discuss capitalism all day and there are way more better examples of what it is.

not sure what you meant to go with there, but that is not the experience i am talking about. Capitalism allowed me to take my business else where and get the lower priced hosting and domain. Without capitalism I would only have the one choice sorta like the VA issue our veterans are experiencing.  One choice sux, 2 sux less and the more choices the more freedom one has.

Sakura

Alright but regardless, you still keep paying up because you don't want the domain to lapse and end up having BlindSideBlitz.com point to google adsense ads.