News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of TV Challenge

Started by TheNorm, February 05, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Since the last 30 day thing went pretty well (and once again, thanks to all of you for participating), guess we can start a new one. You know how this works, play as much or as little as you want. Either way, I look forward to hearing everyone's responses.

Day 1
A show that should never have been canceled

Chuck ran on NBC for five seasons and was in danger of being canceled from the second season onward to the finale. It was an action/romcom/spy drama that centered on the title character that, through an accident, ended up in possession of highly valuable state secrets. The pilot focused on the CIA and NSA competing to track him down, before realizing they had to work together to keep him safe. The storytelling was incredible from beginning to end, and I really think it could've used another season or two. Trailer below.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Oh man, in my mind, by far, bar none, Deadwood.
Killed abruptly after three seasons, sons of bitches.
I'll add, as a curious tidbit, some people dislike the show because of the harsh language, or, they say the f word etc weren't used then.
But here's the reason; in those days, what was offensive language would be downright comical today, especially in a gritty lawless lewd setting like Deadwood.
So, Milch used modern language so it would have the same effect as it did then and it was a masterful stroke

rollntider

Day 1

Ok I will go witht he low hanging fruit.

Firefly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9bSBGLtMc

I was late to the party on watching this. It is a space western and I loved it. Only 1 season and a movie to "Tie up losse ends" if you will.

BojackHorsefella

Hopefully I did that right.

Anyways, my choice is Journeyman. It wasnt a great show or anything, but it got killed off by the same writer's strike that ruined Heroes Season 2 and many other shows. I also was a huge Kevin McKidd fan thanks to this show. I enjoyed every episode. I would have liked to see what they did with more than just one season.

TheNorm

Day 2
A show that you wish more people were watching

I'm going to take this as show currently running, so this is slightly problematic for me in the sense that I don't get to watch too much tv, and when I do it's usually binge-watching older shows I've watched a bunch of times before. Mainly posting this one because it'd at least be nice to find someone else to talk about it with lol.

Fresh Off the Boat is in its third season now, and based on the book by chef Eddie Huang. I was drawn in because it was nice to see an Asian family on tv; that's just not something I grew up with and IMO it's awesome to see some representation. I wouldn't have stuck with it if that's all it had, though; luckily this show is well written and the cast is great. Check it out sometime.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on February 06, 2018, 12:56:12 AM

Day 1

Ok I will go witht he low hanging fruit.

Firefly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9bSBGLtMc

I was late to the party on watching this. It is a space western and I loved it. Only 1 season and a movie to "Tie up losse ends" if you will.

Right there with you, I loved this show.

BojackHorsefella

I debated going with Bojack Horseman, but that has a pretty large following, so instead I'll go with another Netflix show: Easy.

My girlfriend and I just finished season 2 recently. The whole series is incredibly smart, down to earth and derives all of it's intensity from these brief peeks into the lives of people who feel very real and three dimensional. It's an anthology show, so it's a lot of different stories, but every now and again one set of characters will return in a later episode to see how they're faring.

So good. 10/10. Do recommend.

rollntider

Day 2

Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime.... was totally surprised by it and season 2 drops in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiHCtexwuZg

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 06, 2018, 10:15:15 PM
Day 2

I'm going to take this as show currently running, so this is slightly problematic for me in the sense that I don't get to watch too much tv, and when I do it's usually binge-watching older shows I've watched a bunch of times before. Mainly posting this one because it'd at least be nice to find someone else to talk about it with lol.

Fresh Off the Boat is in its third season now, and based on the book by chef Eddie Huang. I was drawn in because it was nice to see an Asian family on tv; that's just not something I grew up with and IMO it's awesome to see some representation. I wouldn't have stuck with it if that's all it had, though; luckily this show is well written and the cast is great. Check it out sometime.

That's me also. Sometimes I'll follow a show season to season, but rarely.
The newest things I've watched are The Americans and Mr. Robot, both of which I think are widely viewed. So basically I guess I'll sit this one out lol

Edit - oh wait, I can play! This was canceled after one season but I liked it. From Scorsese and Jagger, Vinyl is about a record exec in the 70's that explores the passion and creativity of music....sex, drugs and rock roll

TheNorm

Day 3
Your favorite new show (aired within the last 2-3 years)

One of the very few new shows I've checked out within the last two years and have actually enjoyed. It was a smart and witty take on the modern dating life, and had a good cast of characters too. Also able to touch on some social issues as well, without getting too in your face about it. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. Here's the trailer for Season 1.

BojackHorsefella

I'm pushing the timeframe a bit because Bojack debuted in 2014, but whatever. I first saw it in 2016, binged through three seasons immediately. The jokes are so well constructed, the callbacks so rewarding. I swear, every time I watch it I see new jokes I've missed. It's hilarious, but also deals with mental illness in such a unique and original, yet accurate way. I love it so much. Easily my favorite tv show.

Crewe

Im going with Mr. Robot.
Detailed writing, wonderful casting and directing create a fantasy based in reality.
ive read numerous articles that say the makers went to great pains to make the computer hacks as real as possible, ie. the details they show you on screen etc...
Although its about so much more but I won't share due to potential spoilers.
You will be glad you checked it out

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on February 08, 2018, 03:05:19 PM
Im going with Mr. Robot.
Detailed writing, wonderful casting and directing create a fantasy based in reality.
ive read numerous articles that say the makers went to great pains to make the computer hacks as real as possible, ie. the details they show you on screen etc...
Although its about so much more but I won't share due to potential spoilers.
You will be glad you checked it out

I feel like I heard some negative things about the second or third season, but can't remember. I've been wavering on checking this one out.

Crewe

second season wasn't the worst of the three.

oh and btw norm, Im bout to head to season 2 of master of none. I hear its better?

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on February 08, 2018, 03:32:09 PM
second season wasn't the worst of the three.

oh and btw norm, Im bout to head to season 2 of master of none. I hear its better?

Argument could be made for that, yes. I feel that way...you'll have to tell me what you think.