Main Menu

TV show recommendation thread

Started by rollntider, April 14, 2017, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 13, 2018, 05:53:48 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 01, 2017, 02:05:42 PM
watched Black Mirror on a lark, had no idea what it was, devoured it lol

Yeah, we watched Seasons 1-3 last year and just finished season 4 last night. As far as the new season goes, we loved every episode except maybe Alligator. Black Museum, the final episode of season 4, seems to be the majority LEAST favorite on the internet, but we both really enjoyed it.

seriously? I thought this was the only episode that stayed true to the Black Mirror style in S4.

Crewe

I could've sworn someone else reviewed this but couldn't find it anywhere. In any event, Ill tack on...

Comedians in cars getting coffee.
Jerry Seinfeld

Ever since he came on the scene (and I mean way way before Seinfeld) I never really cared for him. Never hate because I appreciated his talents, he has some great bits but just never a top comedian in my books. Carlin, Pryor, Seinfeld...? nah
That said, I actually kinda like this series. Its what a talk show should be, just free association, talk about whatever you want, no need for a point, or a movie plug.
You can really tap in to his terrific observations and rapport with his friends. His smug nature is befitting this type of show, he knows it and cherishes the situation. ive also found him to be quite profound, almost akin to Carlin in the sense that he realizes how pointless it all is and the absurdities in this world, add to that he almost, almost, feels detached. Not in the grand style of Carlin, but similar.
I started out selecting just a few episodes that featured people I really liked, Reiner/ Brooks, Steve Martin, JLD, Tina Fey, George Wallace, Larry David, President Obama; and ended up watching quite a few more and enjoying them.
Its also fun to see how they interact with everyday people watching them in these diners and coffee shops. At one point he asks Sarah Jessica Parker, what do you think everyone believes we are doing here? It was as if it was a direct attack on the 4th wall, if it had been a sitcom.
Its hardly a laugh fest, but more of a fun chuckle littered 15 minute romp that sometimes leads to deeper thought, at least for me.
Insightful and charming and with 15-20 minute episodes, even if you hate it, its over before you can turn it off.

Give it a look.
4/5

BojackHorsefella

That's a series I need to watch eventually. I hear Don Rickles had one that was very similar too, on Youtube, before he passed away.

Crewe

yea,Rickles was in an episode here, forgot about that

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 13, 2018, 06:11:23 PM
I could've sworn someone else reviewed this but couldn't find it anywhere. In any event, Ill tack on...

Comedians in cars getting coffee.
Jerry Seinfeld

Ever since he came on the scene (and I mean way way before Seinfeld) I never really cared for him. Never hate because I appreciated his talents, he has some great bits but just never a top comedian in my books. Carlin, Pryor, Seinfeld...? nah
That said, I actually kinda like this series. Its what a talk show should be, just free association, talk about whatever you want, no need for a point, or a movie plug.
You can really tap in to his terrific observations and rapport with his friends. His smug nature is befitting this type of show, he knows it and cherishes the situation. ive also found him to be quite profound, almost akin to Carlin in the sense that he realizes how pointless it all is and the absurdities in this world, add to that he almost, almost, feels detached. Not in the grand style of Carlin, but similar.
I started out selecting just a few episodes that featured people I really liked, Reiner/ Brooks, Steve Martin, JLD, Tina Fey, George Wallace, Larry David, President Obama; and ended up watching quite a few more and enjoying them.
Its also fun to see how they interact with everyday people watching them in these diners and coffee shops. At one point he asks Sarah Jessica Parker, what do you think everyone believes we are doing here? It was as if it was a direct attack on the 4th wall, if it had been a sitcom.
Its hardly a laugh fest, but more of a fun chuckle littered 15 minute romp that sometimes leads to deeper thought, at least for me.
Insightful and charming and with 15-20 minute episodes, even if you hate it, its over before you can turn it off.

Give it a look.
4/5

Agree, love the series