News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 College Football thread

Started by rollntider, January 20, 2017, 12:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Crewe

Lol good for him. Levine was only here three years and the program descended terribly after Briles put a ton of time and effort into it and got us on the road to success.

TheNorm

It's rare I'll post a tweet from what appears to be a buckeye fan account, but he's not wrong here.
https://twitter.com/BuckeyevsTworld/status/913975600464977920
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

I am still dumbfounded why they fired a coach that at worst took them to 9-3 seasons, still recruited good players, to hire a guy that was 0-2 at ole miss vs Mike Shula(who was on probation). Not only that Miles would fight tooth and nail to get the best La recruits.  O is the biggest Baffoon to ever coach the sidelines. They clamored for this. Well LSU is going back to the days before Saban got there. They were Homecoming fodder until Saban made them a power.

These coaches are getting fired for not being able to beat Saban. What these schools should do is, if they have a coach that only loses to Saban, hang in there until he retires. Then own. Unless we get Dabo from Clemson :D

rollntider

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/10/3/16403504/meltdown-thread-week-5-lsu-tennessee-usc-ole-miss

Some of them are pure gold.

The state of Tennessee has been outscored 100-0 in SEC on CBS games the past two weeks.

Ole Miss passed the 50. Should Alabama still be ranked?

Ole Miss on the phone with the NCAA right now trying to get them to vacate this loss

Nice to see #EggBowlTwitter restored to its true equilibrium: Arguing over whose blowout loss was more embarrassing.

Ole Miss vs Alabama is like watching David & Goliath except David already got fired for calling Bathsheba from his university phone.

"Execute order 66" - Lord Saban.

Mike Leach seems legit disappointed that everyones clothes are still on.

ESPN: "Did you see the way Darnold took that loss? That was an NFL caliber way to take a loss. He is truly incredible." Most important quality for a Browns QB

In fairness to Darnold, he played as well as could be expected when he had to play with the entire broadcast crew hanging from his nut sack.

Sam Darnold looks like the villain from The Incredibles

"Did you catch the ball?"

"No."

"I'd be a lot cooler if you did."

When i told my girlfriend that Kliff could possibly be fired this season she said "I have an opening he could fill".

Does anyone know what program she was referring to?

https://twitter.com/ArkyShea/status/914307243235053568

I think USC's might have been the best.

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/MarktheNomad/status/915627213575385088

He's not wrong. Don't care what anyone says, Michigan was the real National Champion in 1997, not Nebraska.

rollntider

well..... Nebraska makes a strong case. Both were deserving.

TheNorm

Tomorrow will be the first time that Michigan and Michigan State face off under the lights of prime time. Still not sure how I feel about it (nervous excitement, I guess?), but it should be a decent one. Both universities have kinda fought against this game taking place at night for some time, but since tv dictates the terms now that really no longer became an option.
A few days ago, a writer for the Detroit Free Press wrote that the Spartans are Michigan's real rivals now (and not Ohio State), and they should accept it. Of course Spartan fans and a few others latched onto the laughable idea, proving once again the "little brother" tag bestowed upon them by Mike Hart 10 years ago still applies today.
While there's no doubt that Coach Mark Dantonio has certainly brought the Spartans to incredible heights the last 10 years and built his program around hating Michigan (this is their Super Bowl) and their perceived (okay, some of it's actual too) "disrespect" from their rivals in Ann Arbor, no...you are still not Michigan's biggest rival. Yes, he's used that to jump to a 7-3 record against Michigan (also had some help from Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke), and yeah, it's annoying.
Still not our biggest rival.
All that being said, I'm getting the same nervous feeling I typically get in my gut the night before one of these rivalry games. It's a feeling I've gotten almost every year that I've known this rivalry (with the exception of 2002 and 2006). Being in Michigan, this can get personal too. Winning gives you bragging rights for a year, which is crucial when you live in the state and almost everyone you know has ties to either of the schools. Up until the last 10 years, Michigan for the most part kept those bragging rights (and that Paul Bunyan trophy) in Ann Arbor. Prior to 2007, you really could term this game as a "no-win" game for Michigan. Win, and you're doing what you're supposed to do. Lose, however, and it was a guarantee that little brother would never shut the fuck up about it. That's where my nervousness about this game typically came from. Then Dantonio came along, and things got upended for a little bit.
Now Jim Harbaugh is here, and is one fluke play away from being 2-0 against MSU (you all know the loss, I don't need to bring it up). Harbaugh has also made an impressive turnaround of the Michigan football program since his arrival, and that (combined with MSU's colllapse to 3-9 last season) has put the Wolverines once again into that "no-win" status against the Spartans. Michigan is favored, by 10.5 points...but yet again, I just have this feeling this game will more than likely come down to the wire. I hate Dantonio, but if there's one thing he's good at it's getting his team up for this game. I expect nothing less than MSU's best shot here. Should be a fun one at night.

rollntider

A&M kicked our shit in (maybe a tad bit of help from the refs) I still think that 1st TD by the aggies was out of bounds. How the F*** did they lose to UCLA? Now they will shit the bed vs the barm and allow them to run over the ags

TheNorm

Can't turnover the ball 5 f'ing times and expect to win a game. No excuses for coming out flat against a big rival with two weeks of preparation. Absolutely none.

Another stellar defensive effort wasted.

rollntider

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20989848/auburn-hires-law-firm-investigate-allegations-tutor-took-final-exam-football-player

LOL But these rumors have been around forever about the scandalous village on the plains.  Not shocked at all. Just this year we have softball coaches screwing players, Basketball players being paid to sign with agents and now this.

Lets not forget

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6272478

https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/7/20/2285291/cam-newton-danny-sheridan-finebaum

but there is much more but this is yet another scandal the NCAA will do nothing.

TheNorm

I think AJ Dillon just forced this Louisville defender to go in hiding with Pitino. True frosh was also a former Michigan commit too.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/919282776502951936