News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Madden 18

Started by TheNorm, August 27, 2017, 11:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

After passing on Madden 17 when it was on sale a couple of months back for dirt cheap...I guess I couldn't resist picking this one up.  :popcorn:

Downloading now, but went through enough to play the introduction game, a rematch of the last Super Bowl. Graphics are incredible and the game running on the Frostbite engine is pretty awesome. Ended up losing by 5 to the Pats, my comeback falling just a bit short. Will update once I get more games in.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Don't get me thinking about this again....I haven't tried. Madden since 09 and before that, probably 07? I was duped then and I have zero faith in EA and am confident I'd be trolled again.
But damn, I miss not having a football game

BojackHorsefella

I bought 16 last year for $10 from Gamestop and just use that.

rollntider

I miss NCAA football. :(

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 28, 2017, 04:29:20 AM
Don't get me thinking about this again....I haven't tried. Madden since 09 and before that, probably 07? I was duped then and I have zero faith in EA and am confident I'd be trolled again.
But damn, I miss not having a football game

I get that. 16 was the first one I'd bought in years, and I actually found it enjoyable until I ran into some questionable AI decisions playing against Seattle in OT. Hoping those things have been fixed a bit and that this game delivers.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on August 28, 2017, 10:55:12 PM

I still fire that one up...I can only imagine what a college game would look like on the current systems. *sigh*

Crewe

With such a creative, dedicated robust community, I can't, for the life of me figure out why they can't release the ncaa game as a generic college football game that allows the user to customize their own content.
I mean, I realize it must be legal issues because certainly I'm not the only one that sees that cash cow, right?

Norm, I will never have high hopes for Madden ever again. It will have to be given to me or have an iron clad 100% rating from sources I trust. I don't see either happening in the next ten years

cflnut

Been debating about getting this, just for a football game to play.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

I really would love it to be good, but I'll plan on having to wait

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on August 29, 2017, 01:14:01 AM

With such a creative, dedicated robust community, I can't, for the life of me figure out why they can't release the ncaa game as a generic college football game that allows the user to customize their own content.
I mean, I realize it must be legal issues because certainly I'm not the only one that sees that cash cow, right?

Norm, I will never have high hopes for Madden ever again. It will have to be given to me or have an iron clad 100% rating from sources I trust. I don't see either happening in the next ten years

the irony is in the lawsuit the players got the equivalent the cost of the game. They could work out a deal if the kid wants to be in the game they get a free copy and I think all will be right with the world. Screw you Ed Obannon.

TheNorm

So I played through Longshot, the "story" mode for the game. Thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it told a good story and was pretty immersive. Similar to The Journey on FIFA last year, although this one focuses more on the story. Worth checking out, and I'll probably play through it again just to see if I can get a different ending this time.

Now on to giving Franchise a shot.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on August 30, 2017, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: Crewe on August 29, 2017, 01:14:01 AM

the irony is in the lawsuit the players got the equivalent the cost of the game. They could work out a deal if the kid wants to be in the game they get a free copy and I think all will be right with the world. Screw you Ed Obannon.

Yea that's what I took away from it too.
Keep me posted norm

TheNorm

Started up a Franchise as a test. Keep in mind that I haven't played this in a couple of seasons so I'm not really sure what's new from 16 (the last one I *kind of* got into with a franchise). They now give you options when starting up your weekly game to play the big moments while the game sims the rest, playing the full game, or playing the snaps on either offense or defense. I typically choose full game. Currently have sliders set at 9 minute quarters (will probably drop to 8) with accelerated clock off, simulation mode, with QB accuracy for CPU down to 45.

Beat the Cardinals in Week 1 (as the Lions of course), then lost to the Giants in Week 2 27-24. Held my own defensively limiting them to two field goals, but tossed three pick-6s that proved to be the difference  >:( . No CPU hijinks here unfortunately, those were all on me-was even in field goal range on the final drive with less than a minute left, but I didn't want to settle for OT. Last pass was picked off in the endzone (didn't notice the safety hanging back *until* I let the ball go...whoops) for my fourth INT of the day. Turnovers kill, kids.

Anyway, some concerns:

-might need to tune down injuries just a little bit...also it'd be nice if in the presentation they gave us a bit more info about the injury.
-game was patched a few days ago, with one of the biggest concerns from release day being that zone defense was broken. Slightly better after the patch but defenders still seem a bit slow to break on offensive players entering their zone. Granted I am playing on Simulation-style mode (as opposed to Arcade or Competitive) with my Lions so maybe that has something to do with it too. Not sure how good the Giants defense is going to be but I did have some success finding open spaces when they played zone...but they also did cause a number of dropped passes due to hits on the receiver as well as PBUs. Did I also mention they picked me off four times with three returned for scores?  :-[
-CPU QB sometimes holds on to the ball way too long staying in the pocket. Granted I did play against Carson Palmer and the lesser Manning in the first two weeks, so we'll see if that's still the case against the Falcons and Matty Ice in week 3 (I have this really bad feeling it won't be lol).
-For someone that hasn't played Madden in awhile, I've read you can have your top defenders matchup against their best offensive players (like CB/WR matchups). They sure make it a bit difficult to find though.

Positives:

-Game really looks incredible.
-Might just be me, but while the run game is difficult it's really rewarding when you break off a big run.
-Ratings matter on simulation mode.

More to come as I play more games. :)

thaima1shu

Regarding the CB/WR matchups, if you haven't found it already: on the play-calling screen, you have to back out all the way to the top level and look for 'coaching adjustments'. Then one of the options will be to set the CB matchups by overall, depth chart, speed, etc. Took me quite a while to figure out how to get there.

TheNorm

Quote from: thaima1shu on September 13, 2017, 11:46:56 AM
Regarding the CB/WR matchups, if you haven't found it already: on the play-calling screen, you have to back out all the way to the top level and look for 'coaching adjustments'. Then one of the options will be to set the CB matchups by overall, depth chart, speed, etc. Took me quite a while to figure out how to get there.

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot!