Main Menu

30 Days of TV Challenge

Started by TheNorm, February 05, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 17, 2018, 11:09:55 PM
Day 13
Favorite childhood show

Sesame Street...the way I see it, I watched this ages ago when I was growing up and on the occasional moments I've pulled babysitting duty for the goddaughter I have no issue throwing this on now. Pretty nice seeing the same wonder I'm sure I had watching when I was little in her eyes.

good category.
im going with batman

BojackHorsefella

Jeez, I can only choose one? Growing up in the 90s, I had Doug, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, All That, Kenan & Kel, X-Men, Spiderman, Animaniacs, Aaaaah! Real Monsters, Angry Beavers..........

..........and you think I can choose ONE?!

rollntider

Day 13
Favorite childhood show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaHtPWAVi8
it was on reruns loved this, Addams family and Beverly Hillbillies

above is the unaired pilot with a different cast and music.

Crewe

Changing my answer to the Munsters...can't believe I didn't recall that. That pilot was god awful though, glad they re cast and changed the makeup a bit.

Oh and Three Stooges too, what a staple they were

TheNorm

Day 14
Favorite male character

Will McAvoy, The Newsroom - this was a tough one to choose, but Will is the one I kept coming back to. He was intelligent, principled, occasionally troubled, and just a ton of fun to watch develop through the show's three seasons. Can't think of a better person than Jeff Daniels to play this role either. This world needs more reporters like Will.

I'll post a couple of his best scenes. First, the one most of you all know:

Secondly, I believe this is from Season 2.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

good choice and tough category.
its a shame that no-one is willing to learn from the arts, deeming them shallow and entertaining only. Yes many are, but some are not.

Im goin with Archie Bunker: America's Favorite Bigot.
Archie represents the typical uneducated blue collar American who never had any real world experiences and was raised by closed minded parents when times were extremely different. He struggles accepting new views as the times change (aired from 71-79)
With his son in law Rob Reiner, a liberal meathead as Archie calls him, he is constantly challenged on his views of other races. When the Jeffersons move in next door, he still holds his views but is nice to the son and mother (Lionel and Louise because we dont see George for a while) because he deems them the "good ones."
George was a perfect counter to Archie and they agreed that they didnt like each others race, so in an odd way, created a kinship for the men.
Any time Archie is confronted with a situation that disassembles his bigoted thinking, he grudgingly acquiesces because his character is a good person beyond the gruff exterior.
its tough to see growth in a sitcom character, but you see it here, but the character still stays true to himself. its actually really interesting to watch, not to mention hilarious.
This scene is about 5 minutes and gives you a brief insight to Archie's misguided truths and at the same time shows Georges disdain for the whites, but you know that stems from a harsh reality of his people, whereas Archies is from upbringing. This is about George's son Lionel introducing his fiancé's parents to his family. A black mother and white father and Archie has a ring side seat.

BojackHorsefella

David Fisher, as played by Michael C. Hall in Six Feet Under. This was tough between him and his brother Nate Fisher, as played by Peter Krause, especially I identify with Nate a lot more (I'm not gay, I've done a lot of the same horrible things he's done). But as far as the show goes and entertainment value, Nate never grows, whereas David goes through so many storylines that build his character and bring him to a logical and satisfying conclusion. David is the family lynchpin, and it's his arc through the series to basically grow a backbone. Oh, and his relationship with Keith is easily the single best part of the series.

TheNorm

Day 15
Favorite female character

April Ludgate-Dwyer, Parks and Recreation - This was also a tough one to choose, but in the end I kept coming back to her as well. I've heard her stereotyped as a typical millenial, but just like many of the maligned millenials that get blamed for everything, she does her work. I relate to her best because she's cynical and sarcastic, like me. Can she be surly and difficult to work with? Yep. But she rarely backed down and was almost always loyal to the ones closest to her. A quote from the last season describes her best: "Knope, you're a softie but on the inside you are straight up boss. April, you're the exact opposite." Aubrey Plaza played her perfectly.

23 of April's Most Iconic Lines: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexfinnis/april-ludgate-best-moments?utm_term=.mrnWe1mB5j#.kbdXBpQ7jw

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Day 14
Favorite male character

Mork

rollntider

Crewe

Never understood the love for ginger. im with you.

Such a wide range of choices here, spanning all types of characters:
Diane Chambers, Mary Tyler Moore, Carrie Mathison, Stella Gibson, Selina Myer, but, Ive decided to go with Sherry Palmer.
Penny Jerold plays this character perfectly. She is an infuriatingly condescending,manipulative, egomaniacal power driven woman who will do whatever she can to gain the upper hand and will never see herself in the wrong.
Here, she has finally met her match, but even in this scene, you can see all of the above traits glistening because she thinks she can never lose.

BojackHorsefella

I know I'm a broken record, but Claire Fisher

I thought about a lot of characters. Peggy from Mad Men. Margaret from Boardwalk Empire. Carmella Soprano.

But I gotta go with Claire. When we meet her, she's in high school. By the end of the show, she's all grown up, a complete different person. Claire is the character I think grows the most throughout the series. She does some idiotic things in her younger years, but like a lot of kids she finds her way

TheNorm

Day 16
Your guilty pleasure show

Hell's Kitchen - there's something oddly satisfying (for me, anyway) about watching Gordon Ramsay just annihilate a bunch of contestants each season as they compete to become the head chef at one of his signature restaurants. Dude is blunt and direct and I love it...and when a chef does make it to the top, you know Ramsay is proud of it.

This clip isn't from Hell's Kitchen, but from a parody he participated in...it's also one of the few I could find that didn't have about 50 billion f-bombs lol

BojackHorsefella

Currently watching on TV or a past show can count?

Crewe

guilty pleasure?

I don't watch it now since season 2 seemed to be stinko but Ill go with Orange is the new black.