News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I've heard that about justified as well but I think it was abruptly cancelled after 2 seasons. They did that with deadwood, but maybe I'll give it a look.
I'd hate to really enjoy it and then have an unplanned end.
I'm Office and decidedly not P&C whereas I know you are the opposite 😋😋😁

TheNorm

Justified went six seasons, so you should be good. :)
As for Parks & Rec/The Office, I enjoyed both...just felt The Office went a season or two too long.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Six? You know, I think I may be getting it mixed up with that Dennis Quaid series a while back. Can't recall the name but I think it got cut too early.
Agree on the Office although I still watch season 8. Nine was salvageable and a good enough finish.

rollntider

Just finished up stranger things. Liked 2nd season better.

It started slow and got better. I really enjoyed it. I am curious how they keep it going.

thaima1shu

Think I feel the same, thought the second season was a tad bit better. Loved both seasons regardless, though.

Crewe

I need to give this one a spin now. I liked the first season. I wasn't in love with it though. Maybe I should add this in the unpopular opinion thread ;-)

BojackHorsefella

I'm the same way. My girlfriend and I quit watching the first season after 3 episodes. Eventually she went back and watched the rest and convinced me to do the same. I didn't outright hate it, but I wasn't anywhere near as enamored with it as THE ENTIRE REST OF THE COUNTRY apparently is.

That being said, we both felt season two was a HUGE improvement, minus episode 7. Much happier with this season than last. And pretty much everyone acts the hell out of it, but special props to the guys and kids playing Jim, Will and Steve. Plus Sean Astin because of course Sean Astin deserves props.

Crewe

After some prodding, I watched Godless recently.
Lets start at the end...did I like it? Yes.
Love it? No.
Watch it again? No

Pros: Beautifully captured and presented. Original story with a few original characters. Jeff Daniels as the baddie was awesome.
There was depth to some main characters and it was well acted and directed through and through.

Cons: The series left me with serious questions about some plot points in an otherwise well told saga.
Other characters should have been explored more given the length of the series.

Spoiler
The ending was entertaining and fun to watch but wasn't based in reality too much.
The entire logic of being enclosed in an "iron and brick dwelling that won't burn" is simply flawed.
Gunfight in the town of black soldiers did not follow the foreshadowing that these were all witty, tough, prepared Civil War veterans when they were simply wiped out by Daniels and hiss gang.
The newspaper man who instigated the entire ending massacre didn't receive one ounce of comeuppance.
Oh and the preacher who finally arrived, sheesh.
Alice Fletcher, at the end, basically traded from one dude to another. it just screamed, Im done with her, your turn.
I know Im interpreting that scene in a jaded sense but I can't be the only one with that emotion.

Crewe

Black Mirror Season 4

You know what it is and if you liked it before, nothing I say here will stop you from watching.
The social commentary is prevalent as you would expect but season 4 is, by far, the worst of the four seasons.

TheNorm

Just found out that Hulu acquired the streaming rights to ER...about time a streaming service picked this one up. This show was my jam back in the day.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

From the tv challenge thread, buc said Six Feet Under was his favorite show bar none.
I recently finished up my current watches and had nothing on tap so I tackled season one.

Six Feet Under, S1

A family business that is a funeral parlor. Mom, dad, two boys and a girl, some ten plus years behind the boys all living in a house attached to a funeral home complete with an undertaker lab. Great setting for telling the story of family life in America.
It's mostly serious, some comedy but with real direction thus far.
I like the cast, and I can see why if this had any bearing on Michael Hall landing the role of Dexter. Although, I'm not really sold on Krausse, he's fine n all, but just doesn't resonate enough with me. Lauren Ambrose and France's Conroy are serious money.
The storytelling leaves me wondering at times but a first season is usually to find footing so let's see what happens.
On to season 2

BojackHorsefella

So, at work, if things aren't breaking left and right then there's not much for us to do, since our job is to communicate when things are breaking left and right.

So some people watch Youtube, look at reddit, facebook etc during downtime. So I've decided I'm going to watch the entire Twilight Zone series on Netflix. Obviously not binge watching all at once, but still.

I've seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes my entire life, and I've always wanted to, so might as well.

rollntider

Started 6 feet based on Buc. 6 episodes in.... so far its ok, its quirky, but I am still trying to figure it out.

Crewe

I got sidetracked after Season 1, I need to jump back in. I began er watching The Wire again

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on March 23, 2018, 01:33:46 PM
So, at work, if things aren't breaking left and right then there's not much for us to do, since our job is to communicate when things are breaking left and right.

So some people watch Youtube, look at reddit, facebook etc during downtime. So I've decided I'm going to watch the entire Twilight Zone series on Netflix. Obviously not binge watching all at once, but still.

I've seen maybe 3 or 4 episodes my entire life, and I've always wanted to, so might as well.

Missed this a few days ago...love the Twilight Zone, some episodes are absolute classics.