UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 Pro Football thread

Started by rollntider, February 21, 2017, 12:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Predictions? Mine:
Pats (and the GOAT) 27-17
Eagles 17 - 14 (I'd be fine with both NFC teams losing TBH)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I hope the Vikes win although it won't matter since NE beats whoever

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/955197329438470144
I love Richard Sherman and his insight. I also think offensive players are coddled a bit. However, this take is dumb: that was a clear case of helmet to helmet, and there's a good couple of feet of space between a dude's head and his knees. Last I checked Gronk, like every other human being playing football, has a waist.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Tell me how well tackling by the waist worked for #43 on the Saints last week.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on January 21, 2018, 05:32:41 PM
Tell me how well tackling by the waist worked for #43 on the Saints last week.

Different situations here. Diggs was still in the air when Williams went for the ill-advised tackle. Gronk had his feet on the ground when he got hit at helmet level. They'll call that all day and odds are his wallet's gonna be a little lighter later this week too.

Crewe

I dunno man, I don't really have a problem with this hit. Shoulder in first, not a shoulder to head hit. im not suggesting there wasn't helmet to helmet contact, but I have two problems.
One is, this league already has done everything in its power to favor the offense and its sickening.
The other is, there is zero consistency. None. The announcers can babble all they want about what is and isn't legal, they are nothing more than league puppets.
Until they figure that out, which they won't, it will just have to be understood and accepted that football is a dangerous game and you take risks.
Or, you could just make the defense nothing more than tackling dummies, which they almost are now.

TheNorm

I get that, but if as a league you're walking a fine line of letting them play/protect the player, the league needs to be more consistent on protecting the player. Yeah, I get there's risks involved in the game but to me that's a penalty all the time...and they'll call it that way. 
Is the league perfect? No, no one is...but other than adopting college's targeting rule (which is also a joke open to interpretation), I'm really not sure what other solutions they can use.

TheNorm

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 21, 2018, 09:44:02 PM
I get that, but if as a league you're walking a fine line of letting them play/protect the player, the league needs to be more consistent on protecting the player. Yeah, I get there's risks involved in the game but to me that's a penalty all the time...and they'll call it that way
Is the league perfect? No, no one is...but other than adopting college's targeting rule (which is also a joke open to interpretation), I'm really not sure what other solutions they can use.

Thats the problem. And Im not saying helmet to helmet shouldn't be a penalty, but when you continually reduce a defenders ability to defend passes and tackle, it just borders on ridiculous.

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/958731611075481601

The answer should be neither, and the fact that either one of these two clowns will more than likely get paid more than Matt Stafford is laughable.

thaima1shu

Just the nature of QB money. It'll always be disproportionate to actual talent or performance. As long as you're above average, you'll pretty much become the highest paid player until the next above average QB is up for a contract.

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on January 31, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Just the nature of QB money. It'll always be disproportionate to actual talent or performance. As long as you're above average, you'll pretty much become the highest paid player until the next above average QB is up for a contract.

i.e. Brock Osweiller

TheNorm

So...who you got?

Ultimately I go Patriots here in a tight one, 27-21. That Eagles defense is stout for sure, but the Pats aren't bad on D either and tend to adjust pretty quick to anything the Eagles might do on offense. Sooner or later it'll fall down to the QBs, and they typically fall to their norm. Nick Foles realizing he's Nick Foles won't turn out well for Philadelphia, and I'm okay with that because f*ck Philly and their fanbase.

Besides, do you really want to see this classic BSB emoji made obsolete? Me neither.  :philly:

BojackHorsefella

Belichick had two weeks to prepare for a Nick Foles led offense. I dont care how good the Eagles D is, that's Tom Brady on the other side of the ball.

Pats win, unfortunately

TheNorm