News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

XFL Revival?

Started by rollntider, December 16, 2017, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 25, 2018, 03:32:37 PM
I can't even begin with how against this I am.

considering everything that was wrong with the old version, Im for this new attempt. I mean, what do I have to lose? I despise the NFL.
ive been backing off of it for the last several years because its a terrible product.
I didnt listen to all of it, but it seems player safety, player conduct outside the league are top components of the conversation but what I liked was a faster more efficient game with less commercials.
Seriously. Cant bat an eye without seeing corporate feces littered all around not to mention what we have to listen to, its silly.
if they can come in and seriously fuck with the NFL, Im all for it and then some

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 25, 2018, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on January 25, 2018, 03:32:37 PM
I can't even begin with how against this I am.

considering everything that was wrong with the old version, Im for this new attempt. I mean, what do I have to lose? I despise the NFL.
ive been backing off of it for the last several years because its a terrible product.
I didnt listen to all of it, but it seems player safety, player conduct outside the league are top components of the conversation but what I liked was a faster more efficient game with less commercials.
Seriously. Cant bat an eye without seeing corporate feces littered all around not to mention what we have to listen to, its silly.
if they can come in and seriously fuck with the NFL, Im all for it and then some

Me too, my thoughts exactly.

BojackHorsefella

To be fair, I posted my comment before the announcement, and followed up after.

I'm not exactly sure what he's going for. The marketing of it seems weird.

"In contrast to the boobs-and-violence model for the original XFL, McMahon says the rebooted league will be family-friendly. He says he won't hire players with criminal records (he singled out DUIs). He doesn't have a TV deal and hasn't been in any negotiations for one. There won't be any crossover with wrestling; McMahon says he will remain as head of creative at WWE."

No TV deal? So...how are you going to get money to pay players? To provide proper medical treatment and facilities? Fan attendance alone?

"The league will be a single entity, with Alpha Entertainment owning all the teams in the league. He wants to play in football stadiums, but did not rule out playing in baseball parks. The league will begin play in "late January or early February" of 2020 and run through the spring."

I just...I don't understand the structure here.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 25, 2018, 10:42:20 PM
To be fair, I posted my comment before the announcement, and followed up after.

I'm not exactly sure what he's going for. The marketing of it seems weird.

"In contrast to the boobs-and-violence model for the original XFL, McMahon says the rebooted league will be family-friendly. He says he won't hire players with criminal records (he singled out DUIs). He doesn't have a TV deal and hasn't been in any negotiations for one. There won't be any crossover with wrestling; McMahon says he will remain as head of creative at WWE."

No TV deal? So...how are you going to get money to pay players? To provide proper medical treatment and facilities? Fan attendance alone?

"The league will be a single entity, with Alpha Entertainment owning all the teams in the league. He wants to play in football stadiums, but did not rule out playing in baseball parks. The league will begin play in "late January or early February" of 2020 and run through the spring."

good points be sure, but, I'm guessing Vinny Mac didnt show his hand on the ante bet.

rollntider

Facebook and twitter are dying to get content. FB has aired Basketball games so far this season. I know Bama was on FB twice when ESPN (1,2 Ocho etc...) and SECN was filled up. FB bought the rights to broadcast. Also Hulu, PSVue, Sling etc are all looking for content. So if ESPn doesn't come running look for it to be one of those type of deals. Plus one of the networks that doesnt have sports will be able to buy rights pretty cheap. ESPN/Disney spent hundreds of millions for football. Look for prices to fall during next round of negotiations. I think McMahon may have struck at the right time.

A few things,  I would be willing to bet he gets investors/franchises before long.  Spring leagues have failed, but the Jan Feb march he is striking when Football is over and before Baseball hits and no one is outside doing stuff yet. He isnt competing with the NFL, or Baseball. He would only compete with the NHL and NBA, both sports are indoors and can have multiple games a week. I can see this working.

Crewe

I would also point out that McMahon is an innovator and that's why I'm hoping he shakes up the NFL and their iron fist.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 26, 2018, 10:49:06 AM
I would also point out that McMahon is an innovator and that's why I'm hoping he shakes up the NFL and their iron fist.

Yes he made wrestling a major "sport" (using that term loosley) Before that it was a bunch of regional  things

Crewe

yea and not only that, but his steaming and social media features are also setting up a change for the better.
This could turn into a completely different discussion, but Im curious as to where the sports tv contracts will be in the next few years since its becoming antiquated with the continued number of cord cutters forcing change on a daily basis.

rollntider

really good article on XFL that isn't some blow hole columnist stating "Ermagurd XFL failed once so screw it"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/26/xfl-single-entity-sports-leagues-advantages-drawbacks

Crewe

Good read.
no gm or decision maker per team is a large obstacle

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on January 29, 2018, 08:33:05 PM
Good read.
no gm or decision maker per team is a large obstacle

yeah it could be, I can see it being good or bad.