News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Official 2014 College Football Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, August 28, 2014, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Whoo-hoo!!!!

Judging by the Texas A&M/South Carolina game, it's becoming apparent to me that Johnny Manziel was holding the Aggie offense back.*

*or Jadaveon Clowney was the entire Gamecock defense*
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Crewe

loved the Aggie game.  I really like Sumlin too.  Sad that U of H wasn't enough to hold him, but speaking of, Ill be heading to see the Coogs debut in the new stadium tonight, so off to a good start

TheNorm

Watched that Wazzu/Rutgers game for a bit last night...still not accepting the fact that Rutgers (and Maryland) are part of the Big Ten now. What a bunch of crap.

Speaking of Big Ten, I'll be in Ann Arbor to hopefully exorcise some of the demons from the last time Michigan played Appalachian State (aka "The Horror").
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

RUtgers I can see in the big 10... Maryland not so much.

ITs time to see Bama, and pull for Arkansas

TheNorm

Some pretty good games yesterday. I don't think FSU is getting through unscathed, and I have no idea how the hell Oklahoma State was unranked but they shouldn't be after yesterday. Put up one hell of a fight.

Wisconsin coaches gave away that game against LSU last night. I'll never understand why a guy that's averaging 9 YPC gets maybe two carries the entire second half, especially with a brand new QB that, quite frankly, sucks.

Michigan did what it was supposed to do. Granted, that Appalachian State team would've probably been a 30 point underdog against the Mountaineers team that completed that historic upset, but still. Michigan's defense looked stout and has the potential to be one of the strongest they've had in a few years. Offensive line still concerns me but Gardner and the offense did what they should do-Gardner especially looks great. I'll reserve judgment on the running game if they can do anywhere near that against good opponents...starting with the University of Academic Fraud this coming weekend (f-ck ND).

rollntider

Beat Notre Dame!!!!

I agree with what you said except I did not see the Michigan game.

LSU got lucky.

Gurley for Heisman.

Bama's D is not the same since 2011.  I think Wva is better than they were last year, but we should have beat them worse, we missed tackles, slipped and fell and let several guys get large chunks of yards. Yes they dropped passes but so did we thats a wash in my book. Its a young D though so they can be stout by the end of the year.

Yeah why is OSU not ranked?

Also so tired of the Big 12 saying they will have a real champion because of round robin games, what if they have a 3 way tie (it happens) their argument is invalid. Add 2 teams and have a playoff, outside of 4 to 5 teams (like every conference) they skate away from the final playoff game. I still stand by my claim that to be eligible for the playoff you have to be in a conference (Notre Dame/BYU) and played for your conference championship (Notre Dame/Big 12)  thats an extra game those chickens shy away from.

TheNorm

Didn't get to watch any of the games this weekend, but all I can say just by looking at the Big Ten scores alone is this: if anyone even tries to advocate that the Big Ten deserves a team in the college bowl playoff at the end of this season, I'm going to seriously question their sanity. My conference is a g-ddamned joke.

rollntider

I was pulling for Whisky over LSU.... but I think LSU might finish middle of the pack of the SEC.

Cant believe Notre Dame whipped Michigan... ugh...

Crewe

yea that sorta surprised me too.  glad I haven't started laying out bets yet...

Crewe

Im hoping Baylor doesn't crash and burn when they face a contender.  This run has been really good for that school, they needed it.

TheNorm

Good grief, how many CFB games are taking place at Jerryworld this year? Seems like there's been one a week, and this doesn't even include when Romo lines up for the peewee squad on Sundays. :P

TheNorm

So let's take a look at the Big Ten:

Maryland loses (to WVU)
Iowa loses (to Iowa State after Ferentz blows the icing the kicker strategy)
Minnesota loses (to TCU)
Illinois loses (to Washington)
Purdue loses (to the Flailing Chickens of the University of Academic Fraud)
Indiana loses (at Bowling Green, a MAC squad...and the fans DON'T rush the field-yet another indictment on how far the Big Ten has fallen, even if it is lowly IU)
State Pen beats Rutgers in a yawner
Nebraska and ohio $t. do what they're supposed to do against lesser squads, and to a lesser extent so does Michigan-but 3 turnovers in the second quarter make the game close and have people starting to look for torches and pitchforks.

Looking at all that, and I'm supposed to believe a one-loss Wisconsin or MSU team should be worthy of a college football playoff spot? Hahahaha, good one.  >:(

But hey, at least mostly no one in the B1G (can never count out ohio or MSU) is dumb enough to botch a coin toss like Texas did.

http://deadspin.com/texas-botched-the-coin-toss-has-to-kick-off-to-ucla-bo-1634479396

Good wins by BC over USC and UCLA over Texas last night.

rollntider

Wonder if Bob stoops still wants to say the big 12 top to bottom is better than the SEC. Arkansas who finished 0-8 a year ago, and has already been curb stomped by Auburn (and likely has 2 to 3 more stompings in their future) kicked the crap out of Texas Tech. Arkansas is not a good team, 6-6 tops.   If you want to brag top to bottom your league is better, best not have the worst team in our league kick the crap out of the middle of the pack team... Now i will be pulling for K state this week though LOL