News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Scene it

Started by Crewe, January 05, 2020, 07:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

It's a well I come back to often, but, back in my Circuit City days, I used to find random movies in DVD bins all of the time. This one, from 2007, stars Christian Slater before his resurgence via a guest role in Archer and eventual role on Mr. Robot. It's called "He Was A Quiet Man."

I remember reading the box although I couldn't tell you what it said, but Wiki comes through for that:

"Bob Maconel (Slater) is an insignificant office worker who fantasizes about murdering his coworkers. On one particularly bad day, Bob is about to go on a murderous rampage when his coworker Ralf Coleman (David Wells) beats him to it, shooting up the office and killing several people. Bob shoots Coleman dead with the gun he planned to use on the others."

The clip I've attached is the very start of the movie, beginning with what I suppose would be Bob's "manifesto." Although the movie is from 2007, I bet the rhetoric sounds very familiar from a lot of incel, MRA and just flat-out white supremacy culture. The movie, after the initial shooting, takes a turn with many good things happening to Bob, and yet he can't fully understand why he deserves this, considering what he had set out to do. The movie itself is a tale of Bob feeling like an outsider because of everyone else, but as the movie goes on, we see that Bob's only real issue is his own insecurity. His problems are his own.

I don't know how it would play today, and I can't say the last time I watched it. The whole film is apparently on Youtube, which, wow, but I imagine it may be up for rent on Amazon and such. I remember being absolutely floored by the ending at the time, although catching up on it, I imagine I'd have some different feelings about it now. However, you know how sometimes you find a little cult flick that most people haven't seen, and you cling to that as your recommendation? I've had a few. He Was a Quiet Man was probably the first of that, for me. Something I felt like only I had ever seen, it was my own, free to share with those I wanted to or it could remain a mystery to everyone else.

Anyway, here's the opening:

Crewe

that sounds interesting

Crewe

I'm pulling this scene from the Sopranos. David Chase has a real talent for incorporating music in to his scenes.
This particular one ends this episode as things begin to ramp up between NY and New Jersey, and within Tony's ranks.
I doubt it will mean much to anyone who didnt watch the show, but it was an impactful scene within the Soprano realm.

Crewe

So 1977 was a good year for films and one in particular would be the catalyst for me seeing movies over and over again.
Most think Star Wars in 77 and rightfully so, but you know, if it hadn't been for Star Wars, the highest grossing film that year would have been Smokey and the Bandit. People dont recall this film fondly which surprises me because being barely second to a film that is always in the top tier discussions in "greatest of..." roundtables is quite baffling to me.
So now you know, this is the film that turned me in to a rewatch nerd.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on February 07, 2020, 03:07:17 PM
I'm pulling this scene from the Sopranos. David Chase has a real talent for incorporating music in to his scenes.
This particular one ends this episode as things begin to ramp up between NY and New Jersey, and within Tony's ranks.
I doubt it will mean much to anyone who didnt watch the show, but it was an impactful scene within the Soprano realm.

This was a damn good episode, and should've given anyone watching the episode a sense that things were getting ready to go off the following season.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 16, 2020, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: Crewe on February 07, 2020, 03:07:17 PM

This was a damn good episode, and should've given anyone watching the episode a sense that things were getting ready to go off the following season.

Agree. This series was so freakin good.

Crewe

Going back to 1981 for this scene from Arthur.
I was a teenager when this came out and while I really enjoyed the film, I never really appreciated just how great Dudley Moore was at pulling off being a drunk in such great fashion until I was older. It truly is a stellar performance.
With so many great lines and scenes in this film, it was hard to pick one.
I loved the line where his fiancé told him at dinner that a real woman could stop him from drinking.
"It'd have to be a real big woman."  :D

This scene, Liza Minelli, who was also fantastic in this film along with her father just cracks me up.

I cant help it, I have to post two here because the scene with the moose is just money. Arthur is fascinated by the moose and cant keep from referencing the animal.

TheNorm

Haven't seen that movie in ages, and yes, Dudley Moore was brilliant. I remember him making me laugh in this movie when I was little because of his antics...I might watch it a little differently now though, picking up on things that I couldn't then.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

So...40 years ago today.

I really thought about posting the scene where they do the bag skate after the Norway exhibition match where Herb Brooks (excellently portrayed by Kurt Russell) just keeps saying "AGAIN!". It's an amazing scene, and it would fit in with this thread...actually I'll do that anyway. Unfortunately this clip doesn't have coach's line "You guys don't want to work during the game? No problem, we'll work now". Coach says something like that, you know it's gonna get real lol.

https://youtu.be/XD6Vnynjcrc

As a bonus, I'll just give you the final minute of the real life moment it's based on. If you have no clue what I'm talking about at this point, what f'ing rock have you been living under?

https://youtu.be/qYscemhnf88

Crewe

outstanding scene!
I could not wait for this movie to come out and I hoped, sincerely hoped it would do justice to the Miracle and I believe it did. I mean, its tough to make a movie about hockey in a way where someone that knows nothing about it can understand and relate.

This scene still gets me, I dont think there will be a day when it doesn't it.

Seeing as how its the anniversary, I might just pull that one up today.
And by the by, that HBO doc made eons ago about the miracle on ice? I use that more than the movie to introduce people to this game, so well done and it really gives a great background to the state of our country and the world which is what lent so much emotion to that game.

Great post norm

Crewe

tanks for that reminder norm. Watched that today and wept like a sappy little girl and am a better man for it  ;)

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on February 22, 2020, 08:10:09 PM
tanks for that reminder norm. Watched that today and wept like a sappy little girl and am a better man for it  ;)

Me too and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it. :)

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on February 23, 2020, 01:36:18 AM
Quote from: Crewe on February 22, 2020, 08:10:09 PM

Me too and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it. :)

lol  :woot:

Crewe

This entry comes courtesy of gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.
Always a terrific duo and it started here with Silver Streak in 1976.
I wasn't even a teenager yet but even a sophisticated comedy/adventure flick with these two became part of my makeup.
My movie going career was in its infancy, but these two just jumped off the screen for me and have been favorites ever since.
In this scene, Richard Pryor is trying to get the fugitive, George Caldwell, past the cops checkpoint and back on to the Silver Streak.
I cant tell you how many times in my life Ive uttered this phrase...
"C'mon man, get some jive goin, be cool"
Gene Wilder plays the stale white guy so perfectly, it plays beautifully, especially off of Richard Pryor.

Crewe

This scene is an early high school teen se comedy depicting students in Florida in the 50's.
Beginning with Animal House, the teen comedy was becoming a staple, or subgenera if you will, but I cant recall one that sunk to the depths that Porky's did and by that I mean, this is not the Breakfast Club.
As a just high schooler myself, I remember seeing this at the theatre multiple times for this, and well, at least one other scene (wink wink) and while I haunt watched the full movie in years, I doubt it would hold up about as well as any late night cable movie from that time. However, I always have fond memories of my friends and I laughing hysterically throughout this scene multiple times.
And looking at it now, Im really surprised they were able to capture this scene with so many actors all in one shot, especially since suppressing laughter is so contagious. Not to mention, laughing is supposedly harder than crying for an actor.
In any event, if you have a few (4:00) minutes, take a look. Takes it a minute to get going but here's the synopsis:

A few guys were spying on the girls shower through the faucet holes, and one of them decided to stick his "tallywhacker" as you'll hear in the scene though and have some fun.
The girls coach walks in and the student girls file out orderly. His buddies tell him that a girl is interested and "grabs him" which is a great scene by itself.
But this is the aftermath. She goes to the principal along with the male coaches to demand a lineup to catch the perp.

Hint, keep an eye on the two coaches in the front, especially the blonde fella who had another exceptional laugh scene earlier.