News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Entitlements

Started by Crewe, June 28, 2018, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I didn't know what else to call it and its probably not what you think, but Id like opinions here.
So, I have this buddy of mine who was in the military, reserves I think, but not sure.
In any event, he is God country guns and all that jazz.

So while serving his country, he fell off of a bulldozer in Kansas and hurt his ankle. So while the VA misdiagnosis and procrastinates, his other ankle and knee gets worse for two reasons, he's a big fella and you compensate when you have an injury. Totally on board with that.
So now, he gets 50k a year, for nothin. He waves around his "disabled vet" moniker like he did a tour in Iraq and will speak out to any who will listen and to those that wont.
Now, all of this I can chalk up to personality. Ive known the guy most of my life so it isnt new to me.
On the other hand, I have cousin who served, little bit younger than this guy, was dangerously close to being sent over to the Gulf and he never utters a word about it, and not like it was a bad experience, know what I mean?
On Veterans Day, he buys a round for all military in the bar but wont acknowledge that he ever served. Big difference in these two in my eyes, and not better or worse as a person, just, personality, right?
But in my life, with all of the vets Ive known, and keep in mind, I never served, so I don't know, but a vast majority of them don't want accolades or acknowledgments, especially those who have been in combat.
I know, where is this going?

Im trying to paint a picture of what I see and how what I think might be unfair.

So, guy A, with his handicap placard and 50k a year for life, wanders around his big ranch property, works it, mowing the brush and fields, tasks that need to be done etc but, and here's the problem, despite his physical ailments, which are legit mind you, he can still get around, can function as well as many others. Parks in a handicap spot because he can, but then walks into the restaurant, no cane, no hobble, no nothin...that grates on me.
Yells at the top of his lungs about handouts and welfare and people spending his money, which is our money btw, but more on that later, and at the same time begs and boasts about everything free because he is a "disabled vet"
hey, I got some tix to the ballgame, wanna go, they were free. No, they weren't actually, they were handouts, you know, what you are vehemently against?
But, as the response goes, I served my country!
And this is where I admittedly take a potentially unfair stance, but, did you? Really? I mean serve the country? you fell off of a fucking tractor in the midwest during peace time.
And see...here, I think to myself, that argument counters what I truly believe, which is, that anyone who enlists, is courageous. For they do not know what they may be in for; sure, they join for college but they may wind up in a desert taking enemy fire, so yea, in my book, that deserves respect.
But here I go against that belief with this guy because I know, I know the truth and it pisses me off.

So, this is murky, I know.
I feel guilty when I go to games on his free tickets, but he says, its for the military, its free and I think, yea, but guys like you aren't the intended recipients I don't think. id much rather see a vet who has seen trauma get benefits instead of you.
This was touched on earlier, but back to the handouts. Rant and rave, welfare sucks, get a job you bum.
Oh, you mean like you could?
Im a disabled vet!
Fuck you.
Then it goes, I earned this money serving my country.
50k a year, for life? You're an uneducated war monger and you get more a year than I make busting my ass?
I don't see this guy too often because we know where each other stand and its ok for a while but after about three or four hours he just wont be able to contain himself and go off, and then thats that.

Im not even sure what Im asking here. I guess, am I an asshole?

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on June 28, 2018, 11:59:53 PM
I didn't know what else to call it and its probably not what you think, but Id like opinions here.
So, I have this buddy of mine who was in the military, reserves I think, but not sure.
In any event, he is God country guns and all that jazz.

So while serving his country, he fell off of a bulldozer in Kansas and hurt his ankle. So while the VA misdiagnosis and procrastinates, his other ankle and knee gets worse for two reasons, he's a big fella and you compensate when you have an injury. Totally on board with that.
So now, he gets 50k a year, for nothin. He waves around his "disabled vet" moniker like he did a tour in Iraq and will speak out to any who will listen and to those that wont.
Now, all of this I can chalk up to personality. Ive known the guy most of my life so it isnt new to me.
On the other hand, I have cousin who served, little bit younger than this guy, was dangerously close to being sent over to the Gulf and he never utters a word about it, and not like it was a bad experience, know what I mean?
On Veterans Day, he buys a round for all military in the bar but wont acknowledge that he ever served. Big difference in these two in my eyes, and not better or worse as a person, just, personality, right?
But in my life, with all of the vets Ive known, and keep in mind, I never served, so I don't know, but a vast majority of them don't want accolades or acknowledgments, especially those who have been in combat.
I know, where is this going?

Im trying to paint a picture of what I see and how what I think might be unfair.

So, guy A, with his handicap placard and 50k a year for life, wanders around his big ranch property, works it, mowing the brush and fields, tasks that need to be done etc but, and here's the problem, despite his physical ailments, which are legit mind you, he can still get around, can function as well as many others. Parks in a handicap spot because he can, but then walks into the restaurant, no cane, no hobble, no nothin...that grates on me.
Yells at the top of his lungs about handouts and welfare and people spending his money, which is our money btw, but more on that later, and at the same time begs and boasts about everything free because he is a "disabled vet"
hey, I got some tix to the ballgame, wanna go, they were free. No, they weren't actually, they were handouts, you know, what you are vehemently against?
But, as the response goes, I served my country!
And this is where I admittedly take a potentially unfair stance, but, did you? Really? I mean serve the country? you fell off of a fucking tractor in the midwest during peace time.
And see...here, I think to myself, that argument counters what I truly believe, which is, that anyone who enlists, is courageous. For they do not know what they may be in for; sure, they join for college but they may wind up in a desert taking enemy fire, so yea, in my book, that deserves respect.
But here I go against that belief with this guy because I know, I know the truth and it pisses me off.

So, this is murky, I know.
I feel guilty when I go to games on his free tickets, but he says, its for the military, its free and I think, yea, but guys like you aren't the intended recipients I don't think. id much rather see a vet who has seen trauma get benefits instead of you.
This was touched on earlier, but back to the handouts. Rant and rave, welfare sucks, get a job you bum.
Oh, you mean like you could?
Im a disabled vet!
Fuck you.
Then it goes, I earned this money serving my country.
50k a year, for life? You're an uneducated war monger and you get more a year than I make busting my ass?
I don't see this guy too often because we know where each other stand and its ok for a while but after about three or four hours he just wont be able to contain himself and go off, and then thats that.

Im not even sure what Im asking here. I guess, am I an asshole?

You bring up valid points but the way i see it, much better to have served and never see any action than to serve and see action. I get what your saying an trying hard to find fault with it, which i can't but servng in peace time is serving, and that is the best time to serve. He did more than Trump, Clinton, etc did and they will get way more pension. So there is that lol

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I completely understand your side of it, but I'm with Tider on this one. Even just boot camp can be dangerous, and there's not many times you're not at risk. It doesn't take much going wrong, even State side, for you to be in danger of injury or death.

Of course, I may be a bit biased on the subject, but still.

Rigg44

To me its not a military issues its a "this guy issue".  He served and was injured while serving so he deserves the benefits afforded him.  The issue it sounds like is more about the fact he is a loud mouth braggart.  Just my 2 cents.   

Crewe

I agree with those sentiments and maybe I didn't explain it well, but yes, I clearly believe even enlisting warrants respect and in its own right is an act of courage.
I'm inclined to go with Riggs assessment, but at the same time, is there not a valid hypocrisy in vehemently opposing any assistance anyone else may receive, all the while, milking your situation for everything it's worth while capable of working just like those you oppose?
Seems like a lack of integrity to me but perhaps I'm biased.

I'd also like to add, I've known this guy for most of my life and he's a good guy who do anything for me as would I for him, we just know each other's stances and act accordingly. I'd be remiss if I didn't note that although I painted him as braggadocious, while true, it's not really in the boorish context.

BojackHorsefella

I mean, it is a bit hypocritical, but clearly in his mind having been a service member, however the manner he "earned" these entitlements, is more deserving and excluded from his thoughts about those earning entitlements without serving, just via circumstance.

TheNorm

Pretty much in line with what Rigg said here...feels more like a 'this guy' issue.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

thanks guys, Ill put myself in check