News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2015 College Football Season Thread

Started by TheNorm, August 23, 2015, 02:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Might as well kick off this thread with the useless preseason AP Top 25 poll (for the record, all preseason polls are useless), released just a little bit ago. That team from Cowdumbus is ranked #1 (and the first unanimous #1 since AP started doing the preseason polls). TCU, Alabama, Baylor, and Michigan State round out the top 5. If TCU or Baylor are still in the Top 5 at the end of the season, it'll be interesting to see how The Authority ...the selection committee screws them out of a playoff spot this year.  :P

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/23/college-football-polls-preseason-ap-top-25

QuotePreseason Associated Press Top 25

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. Baylor
5. Michigan State
6. Auburn
7. Oregon
8. USC
9. Georgia
10. Florida State
11. Notre Dame
12. Clemson
13. UCLA
14. LSU
15. Arizona State
16. Georgia Tech
17. Ole Miss
18. Arkansas
19. Oklahoma
20. Wisconsin
21. Stanford
22. Arizona
23. Boise State
24. Missouri
25. Tennessee
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

USC coach Steve Sarkisian apparently thought he was at a wedding reception with an open bar and not a rally for boosters alumni and donors.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/13494462/steve-sarkisian-apologizes-behavior-usc-trojans-event
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

rollntider

rollntider

Wisky vs. Bama didnt make the list....

TheNorm

One week before the season, and Illinois fires head coach Tim Beckman.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13533196/tim-beckman-fired-coach-illinois-fighting-illini

BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING, A WEEK BEFORE THE OPENE--

QuoteJust one week before their season opener, the Illinois Fighting Illini have fired football coach Tim Beckman amid allegations of influencing medical decisions and pressuring players to play hurt, athletic director Mike Thomas announced Friday.

In a statement, Thomas said the dismissal was related to preliminary results of an external review into the allegations, which also included efforts to avoid reporting players' injuries.

Oh...nevermind. Yeah, that'll do it.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on August 25, 2015, 01:11:00 AM
Wisky vs. Bama didnt make the list....

Probably because Wisky on paper just isn't all that impressive. New head coach that isn't Jim Harbaugh (not Paul Chryst's fault), no Melvin Gordon...they'll do enough to win a very weak Big Ten West Division before getting the atomic wedgie treatment in the Big Ten Championship game just like last season.

As always, feel free to quote me if I'm wrong at the end of the season.  8)

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on August 28, 2015, 04:35:23 PM
One week before the season, and Illinois fires head coach Tim Beckman.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13533196/tim-beckman-fired-coach-illinois-fighting-illini

BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO SUCH A THING, A WEEK BEFORE THE OPENE--

QuoteJust one week before their season opener, the Illinois Fighting Illini have fired football coach Tim Beckman amid allegations of influencing medical decisions and pressuring players to play hurt, athletic director Mike Thomas announced Friday.

In a statement, Thomas said the dismissal was related to preliminary results of an external review into the allegations, which also included efforts to avoid reporting players' injuries.

Oh...nevermind. Yeah, that'll do it.

I bet going 12-25 had some play in it also. I bet Urban Saban Pete Carroll etc... would be given some time to work things out. Yeah so they are in the coaching search early this year.

TheNorm

Hmmm, two days until Michigan kicks off the Coach Harbaugh era against Utah. Two.

Ah, famous #2 to wear the Maize and Blue...1997 Heisman Trophy Winner (suck it Tennessee) Charles Woodson.  :D

rollntider

I used to think Peyton got ripped on that Heisman, but now, Suck it Tennessee :)

TheNorm

rollntider

watched some of the Carolina vs. Carolina game... meh

rollntider

Watching the Auburn louisville game.  It reminds me of the Stoppable force vs the Moveable object. Auburns DL is legit, that is their saving grace. THeir D is better than I thought and their O is worse than I thought actually.

TheNorm

Dissecting Michigan/Utah 4 days later:

-the game ended as I pretty much expected it would: with a loss. However, the game was there for Michigan to take. Three turnovers (one I'd blame on Jake Rudock, one on the receiver, and one the defender just made one hell of a play) killed drives. That can't continue, since that's one of the things that sent Michigan to 5-7 last season. Three overthrown passes to wide open receivers that would've led to TDs also sting.

-Jake Rudock wasn't great at QB, but he's the one that has to stay QB1. Looks like Harbaugh's going to keep it that way too.

-It was nice seeing a coach make actual halftime adjustments based on what and wasn't working in the first half. Looking forward to seeing more of this actual coaching thing.

-Run blocking and the run game itself need work.

Anyway, some other fun things happened this weekend too...unless you're a Nebraska fan.

rollntider

More takeaways....

I think Bama has a QB, he wont win a hiesman, but he is will do well.

I am nervous about Arky and A&M this year. I think A&M may win the west :( I think Bama goes 10-2 or 11-1 this year. The good news is that is a down season most teams would give their left nut to have.

Auburn to go 8-5
Tennessee 7-6
Georgia 10-2

What the hell Mizzou 3 peats as East champs

OSU is scary good this year.