News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Your Unpopular Opinion

Started by TheNorm, October 09, 2017, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on January 18, 2019, 02:40:57 PM
Would you classify a donut as a breakfast food, or a dessert, is the real question

I would say time of day determines that distinction.  Just like a bagel is both breakfast food and not.  If I eat it in the morning then its breakfast if its later in the day its dessert or a snack.   Or I use a Bagel as the bread is a turkey or ham sandwich.

rollntider

The cinnamon sugar bagel from edgars bakery is better than most donuts

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 18, 2019, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 18, 2019, 01:21:05 PM
Quote from: Rigg44 on January 18, 2019, 12:24:16 PM
I would rather have a 6 cheese Asiago bagel from Eisenstein's Bagels than any doughnut!  And I love doughnut!

Agree that its a great bagel but we are arguing apples and oranges as far as Im concerned lol

See I knew it was an unpopular opinion ;)  lol

lol its not unpopular, its just not in competition with my donut revelation ;-)

A donut doesn't have a designation such as breakfast food, it is a whenever food, call it treat if you like.  :D
Im always reminded of this exchange with Danny DeVito and Penolope Ann Miller in Other People's Money when it comes to donuts:

"How 'bout a donut?"
"No thanks"
Why? You a health food freak?
"No, just not hungry"
"You have to be hungry to eat a donut?"
"You don't?"
What, are you shittin me? All my life I never heard of such a thing."

Crewe

I don't get why people get so amped over a lip synched pre recorded acted out halftime show but maybe its just me

Crewe

Ethics and polite social behavior matter

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on February 11, 2019, 04:34:02 PM

I can't say this is unpopular just underused.  It used to be we would say that we wished people would behave on the internet like they do in real life.  The problem is they do now.  The lack of respect and social graces displayed on the net are now common in real life. 

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on February 13, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
Quote from: Crewe on February 11, 2019, 04:34:02 PM

I can't say this is unpopular just underused.  It used to be we would say that we wished people would behave on the internet like they do in real life.  The problem is they do now.  The lack of respect and social graces displayed on the net are now common in real life.

hence my post. I take a look around and to me, its a vastly unpopular opinion. Or I guess you could say people move the goalposts on what is polite and respectful, but what I see....yea, severe lack of it in society and that's not even bothering with the internet.

BojackHorsefella

For whatever reason, and maybe it's worldwide or maybe a purely American phenomenon (hint: it seems to be worldwide), the majority of people seem to be completely focused on the negative. Sometimes, this is ok, there are negative things in our life and everyday society that need to be addressed.

But there's ways to do that, there are times to do that, and it also CAN'T be the only thing you ever see. Otherwise you just become cruel and dismissive and then we get...well, pretty much what we have right now as far as overall discourse goes.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on February 13, 2019, 05:33:24 PM
For whatever reason, and maybe it's worldwide or maybe a purely American phenomenon (hint: it seems to be worldwide), the majority of people seem to be completely focused on the negative. Sometimes, this is ok, there are negative things in our life and everyday society that need to be addressed.

But there's ways to do that, there are times to do that, and it also CAN'T be the only thing you ever see. Otherwise you just become cruel and dismissive and then we get...well, pretty much what we have right now as far as overall discourse goes.

Its hardly the only thing I focus on or Id be dead from anxiety. I bumped a thread with a pet peeve of mine that observes the fact that social graces and ethics are in decay.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on February 13, 2019, 09:26:12 PM

Its hardly the only thing I focus on or Id be dead from anxiety. I bumped a thread with a pet peeve of mine that observes the fact that social graces and ethics are in decay.

Ha, whoops. Wasn't meaning you, or this topic, specifically Crewe. Was saying the focus on the negative seems to have contributed to the reduction in ethics and polite social behavior.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on February 13, 2019, 10:06:30 PM

Ha, whoops. Wasn't meaning you, or this topic, specifically Crewe. Was saying the focus on the negative seems to have contributed to the reduction in ethics and polite social behavior.

In the throes of negativity, I misinterpreted your post  ;)
Im not so sure I agree with that, not in totality anyway. I believe social media and technology are larger contributing factors. Everything from gaming to cell phones to FB and beyond. Those factors invite, if not demand isolation despite the social "networking" allure.

*edit to add- we could of course keep piling on with everything from the divorce rate leading to single parenting leading to dissolution of family structure and not to mention education, that's as big a factor as anything I can think of on this topic.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on February 13, 2019, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on February 13, 2019, 10:06:30 PM

In the throes of negativity, I misinterpreted your post  ;)
Im not so sure I agree with that, not in totality anyway. I believe social media and technology are larger contributing factors. Everything from gaming to cell phones to FB and beyond. Those factors invite, if not demand isolation despite the social "networking" allure.

*edit to add- we could of course keep piling on with everything from the divorce rate leading to single parenting leading to dissolution of family structure and not to mention education, that's as big a factor as anything I can think of on this topic.

I think the major contributing factor is social media.  The gotcha nature of Facebook and Twitter result is a younger population that only look for their opportunity to call others out for their, opinions, thoughts, actions, or whatever doesn't match the new social construct as they see it.  This in combination with every loon is now given a megaphone by social media results in no one having rational conversations.  It's no longer two people discussing issues in a civil manner trying to reach a compromise.  It is now two opposing team members trying to win an argument for their team.  This is not just in politics but in all things.  Any topic quickly sees sides form and an argument begin.  The fact that for years you could say what you want without having to see the individual you were saying it to has resulted in a group of 20 and 30-year-olds that no longer care and will say it to your face because that is the world they grew up in.  Facts be damned I must WIN!  I must be cheered for my witty retorts and statements. The worst part is now the elder population has joined in and there are so few trying to create civil discourse, so things can get done.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on February 14, 2019, 11:27:03 AM
I think the major contributing factor is social media.  The gotcha nature of Facebook and Twitter result is a younger population that only look for their opportunity to call others out for their, opinions, thoughts, actions, or whatever doesn't match the new social construct as they see it.  The worst part is now the elder population has joined in and there are so few trying to create civil discourse, so things can get done.

Yeah, this right here seems pretty spot-on. Almost called you out on only calling out the younger generation, but then you added in that bit about the elders in the end. ;)

But yeah, social media has absolutely increased the number of "bad faith" arguments, where people are only looking to go "See, you're wrong about X so you're wrong about Y," and it just sinks the entire discourse.

Crewe

Thats what I was suggesting in less verbose fashion, however I didn't intend to limit it to the dominant political scene we drown in daily.
Even the simplest acts we partake in everyday are littered with inconsideration, snark, condescension, and an abundance of unawareness.
These all stem from the decay in society brought on us via social media and technology, among other factors, IMO anyway.

BojackHorsefella

Social media definitely has increased each person's sense of self-importance, but I will say this: In my time working retail, from Circuit City to Best Buy to Verizon to Comcast, over the course of.....holy shit, 13 years, kill me, the people who got the loudest, had the absolute most lack of respect for staff, and were altogether stubborn and impossible, were typically on the older side of the age scale.

There was the occasional youngster who thought they were hot shit (and god forbid they be accompanied by their parents who just couldn't be bothered to reign them in), but mostly it was the olds. Sorry :(