News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

pokemon go

Started by rollntider, July 11, 2016, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

http://kotaku.com/teen-plays-pokemon-go-outside-finds-dead-body-1783369790

Thought that was interesting. I am not surprised though, I would imagine someone may even be killed in the future because they go somewhere they are not supposed to.

rollntider

TheNorm

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Sakura

I saw the thread, and I was like "oh yeah, I should keep the app open just in case."  I keep getting mons showing up at my house at random, better than the mons I find while walking even.  So I open the game, and instantly I get an encounter with a Rhydon, it was so far away that I had to throw 3 balls to finally catch it cause they kept falling short.  163 CP, my strongest one so far.  But my favorite is still the Gastly that appeared to me as my first non-starter pokemon, cause ghost-types are my faves.

rollntider

i downloaded it, and it looked like all you do is catch pokemon? I ended up deleting it from the phone.

Crewe

I am clueless about all of this nonsense and yet I feel I am missing nothing ;-)

TheNorm

Never had a clue what all this was about, but downloaded anyway. Seems pretty fun and a neat way to kill time while wandering around. It has provided me with some interesting interactions, though. Was working at the hospital one night just charting when the mom whose infant I was taking care of just took a picture of me. I'm thinking I'm in trouble, I screwed something up...no. I asked her and then she laughs and shows me the pic she took with one of those creatures sitting atop the computer screen I was charting on. Lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on July 13, 2016, 10:54:46 AM
i downloaded it, and it looked like all you do is catch pokemon? I ended up deleting it from the phone.
It depends on what you want to do in the game.  There's the singleplayer aspect of it where you can just wander around collecting pokemon and tapping pokestops, and you have to do this until level 5, where you become eligible to take over and battle over gyms.  There's no non-gym pvp at this time (the game is still in development).  Anyway to evolve/level up your pokemon you catch more of the same family of pokemon (i.e. Nidoran Male, Nidorino, Nidoking) to get candies of the base type of an evolutionary line which are used to level up your pokemon.  The most expensive evolution (and strongest evolved pokemon) right now is Magikarp into Gyarados at a whopping 400 magikarp candies, which means you need to collect 101 (edit: woops, not 401, 101) magikarps just for the evolution itself, and then more to keep powering it up.  You get 3 for every one of a type caught, and when you "transfer" a pokemon to Professor Willow he gives you an additional candy.

There's a few ways to find pokemon, there's wandering the world (literally, wandering around the real world), using an incense, or going to a gym and using a lure module.  Personally I think they should remove the incense/lure module because it makes it unnecessary to travel to catch pokemon, you can just place a lure module on a pokestop or a gym and wait for pokemon to come to you, or use an incense and wait for the pokemon to come to wherever you are (whether it in your house or otherwise).  Unfortunately that's how they primarily monetize the game is with pay to not move items.

If you aren't a fan of the franchise, it's probably not going to do much for you, unless you want an excuse to get into exercising.  But yeah, you can replenish your items by tapping pokestops (which have 5 minute cooldowns) to gain potions, revives, pokeballs, eggs, etc.  So if you ever feel low on pokeballs, you don't have to pay for them, you can get them for free at pokestops which are usually generated on places of interest marked in your town on Google maps.  I guess some people are luckier, as they might live right beside a pokestop so when recharging their battery they could tap the pokestop then head on out to collect more after it's done.

When I first started playing there didn't seem to be any other players in my area, but I've started noticing the people with their faces glued to the cellphone on the sidewalk now, it's definitely taking off now.  I find it so silly that people play that way though, because you really do not need to watch your friggin cell phone to find pokemon.

Edit: I did mention previously in this post that the game is still in development, right now pokemon try to dodge your pokeballs, so there is code for wild pokemon in place to dodge.  In the future they may add in battles to weaken pokemon to make them easier to catch (maybe), they certainly love to dodge your pokeballs though, flying types are by far the most annoying for this, and I've had a couple of pokemon even headbutt the pokeball to knock it away, so they don't just stand there waiting to be caught, they will resist.

Sakura

Oh also, recently a local woman who was playing pokemon go and driving (what the hell) struck a man who was standing at a bus stop and he was put in critical condition, so at the very least this game is causing a lot of injuries and even damage to phones as people who don't look where they're going fall into ponds, rivers, etc. just so they can try and catch them all.  There's only 146 pokemon in the game right now, the Legendary birds, Mewtwo and Mew are still not in the game (or if they are, they're excessively rare and might require a trainer of level 30+ to encounter them; the highest level players at this time are in their early 20s).

Edit: I said 30+ because the level cap right now is 30.  But because people are reaching max level so quickly, I can foresee either they exponentially increase the exp requirement to level, increase the number of levels, or do a combination of either option and resetting the game.  So we'll see how that plays out.

Also someone evolved a Magikarp from CP 63 to Gyarados CP 750, that's a HUGE boost, over 1000% increase!

cflnut

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/player-finds-mention-of-mewtwo-articuno-and-other.html

QuoteYouTuber NesstendoYT was somehow digging around in Pokémon GO's internal files when he found mentions of all of the Generation I Kanto legendaries. "Mew," "Mewtwo," "Articuno," "Zapdos" and "Articuno" are all referenced in the code. To date, no one has reported finding any of these legendaries in Pokémon GO itself

My nephew mentioned that he'd seen a Mewtwo but was unable to catch it.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Sakura

Quote from: cflnut on July 14, 2016, 09:24:30 AM
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/player-finds-mention-of-mewtwo-articuno-and-other.html

QuoteYouTuber NesstendoYT was somehow digging around in Pokémon GO's internal files when he found mentions of all of the Generation I Kanto legendaries. "Mew," "Mewtwo," "Articuno," "Zapdos" and "Articuno" are all referenced in the code. To date, no one has reported finding any of these legendaries in Pokémon GO itself

My nephew mentioned that he'd seen a Mewtwo but was unable to catch it.
I dunno, nut, I think  your nephew might be fibbin.  If he actually did see a Mewtwo, he'd have Pokedex entry 150 in his pokedex section, it'll be blank, but you'll at least see it.