News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Tie goes to the ballcarrier

Started by BojackHorsefella, July 03, 2018, 01:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

You know, I was watching MLB Network a day or two ago, and they were reviewing a close call at third, whether Acuna Jr had gotten tagged while either stealing third or just stretching a base hit by his teammate by going from first to third, but I realized, and granted it's kind of similar to the "inconclusive" mandate of NFL replay, but what if there was simply a "tie goes to the ballcarrier" kind of thing?

I know the biggest complaint about the NFL is how offense oriented it is already, rules-wise (especially rules regarding WRs and QBs), but I wonder, in matters of, say, the Dez Bryant catch and what-not, if it's possible that simply having a "tie goes to the ballcarrier" rule would filter a lot of that out?

Was the QB's arm going forward when he fumbled or no? Too hard to tell? Tie goes to the ballcarrier.

Did he fully complete a catch? Just CAN'T make a decisive conclusion? Call goes to the ballcarrier.

Am I right, or is "tie goes to the runner" not quite as universally applicable as I think it maybe could be?

Crewe

in baseball, tie goes to the runner was before instant replay so I think inconclusive, too close to call, etc, are essentially ties go to the ball carrier, meaning play stands as called.
In your first example, if the tie goes to ball carrier, what would be the result there if it were ruled a fumble on the field?
Maybe im not grasping the idea here

BojackHorsefella

I can't guarantee the idea is even coherent enough to be grasped, honestly. I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking on this one.