News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Loot boxes in video games raising concerns

Started by cflnut, June 22, 2018, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflnut

http://canoe.com/entertainment/gaming/loot-boxes-in-video-games-raising-concerns

This is a rather interesting read, and dose raise some good questions. Such as should Loot Boxes be considered gambling?
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

I think this is much ado about nothing, gambling is gambling, this isn't it; no monetary risk for the player. This is just a purchase to me.
As for the psychological aspect, I point to the parents. If you teach your kid positive traits then video games don't have negative effects. JMHO

rollntider

yeah think there is no risk in loot boxes.

BojackHorsefella

I think the risk is, with a lot of loot boxes these days, there's no guarantee what you're going to get. This isn't just buying "Gun X" or "Armor Y," but more a throw of the dice in terms of what you may get in return. You're giving developers money in the hope of getting a particular item, without a guarantee.

Thus, a gamble.

Crewe

Not getting the prize you want isn't a gamble any more than buying a box of crackerjacks and not getting the desired reward. You bought something, you are receiving a reward, hence, not gambling.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 23, 2018, 12:18:15 AM
Not getting the prize you want isn't a gamble any more than buying a box of crackerjacks and not getting the desired reward. You bought something, you are receiving a reward, hence, not gambling.

That's more or less the counter argument I read.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 23, 2018, 02:00:33 AM

Doesn't mean it's not accurate. No monetary risk, not gambling, simply a purchase. And aren't you making more or less the same argument mentioned in the article?

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 23, 2018, 09:07:21 AM

Doesn't mean it's not accurate. No monetary risk, not gambling, simply a purchase. And aren't you making more or less the same argument mentioned in the article?

Haha, we got our wires crossed. I wasn't making the argument, just elaborating on the logic that seems to be used to equate loot boxes to gambling, based on what I've read. I don't care either way, I just don't buy them.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 23, 2018, 12:04:10 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 23, 2018, 09:07:21 AM

Haha, we got our wires crossed. I wasn't making the argument, just elaborating on the logic that seems to be used to equate loot boxes to gambling, based on what I've read. I don't care either way, I just don't buy them.

lol that was my bad then, sorry

rollntider

BojackHorsefella

Crewe