Main Menu

Recipe thread

Started by Crewe, October 22, 2017, 05:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Ive never cooked a crispy pork belly before so yesterday I tried this
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/shabbysociablechamois
(I have the actual recipe if you want)

Allow me to preface this by saying I am a salt lover.
That said, this thing was way too salty. Worse than that, I knew I wouldn't like the Chinese 5 spice but I did it anyway and I was right.
With that nutmeg and whatever the hell is in there belongs on desserts or Christmas foods, doesn't work here, for me anyway.
The pork rind turned out good so next time Im trying a different blend for sure. If anyone has tried this or a variation, let me know your thoughts.

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on March 18, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
Ive never cooked a crispy pork belly before so yesterday I tried this
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/shabbysociablechamois
(I have the actual recipe if you want)

Allow me to preface this by saying I am a salt lover.
That said, this thing was way too salty. Worse than that, I knew I wouldn't like the Chinese 5 spice but I did it anyway and I was right.
With that nutmeg and whatever the hell is in there belongs on desserts or Christmas foods, doesn't work here, for me anyway.
The pork rind turned out good so next time Im trying a different blend for sure. If anyone has tried this or a variation, let me know your thoughts.

do it with a true pork rub and let us know :)

Crewe

yea, Im thinking a Memphis rub next time

Crewe

wanting to try this quesarito this weekend
https://gfycat.com/FickleNegligibleLaughingthrush

Id probably add more beef than rice and add my own "boom boom" sauce (Chuy's copycat) in addition to the nacho cheese sauce.

Crewe

Quote from: Crewe on March 28, 2018, 11:03:14 AM
wanting to try this quesarito this weekend
https://gfycat.com/FickleNegligibleLaughingthrush

Id probably add more beef than rice and add my own "boom boom" sauce (Chuy's copycat) in addition to the nacho cheese sauce.

Tried that this weekend. Pretty good with homemade tortilla chips although my tortilla folding skills are not quite up to par which is odd since I enjoy preparing Tex Mex dishes.
I used Chuys boom boom sauce recipe to make my own for the outside shell while following the recipe with nacho cheese sauce for the inside.
Overall, good stuff.

Crewe

Tackled this recipe over the weekend and the only thing keeping it 100% success was finding the right bread. I had to go with French which works ok.
Still, the pork was indeed amazing.
Ive since been having pork sandwiches consisting of said pork, Cole slaw (mixed with creamy jalapeño) and a mornay sauce on brioche buns which is quite amazing in its own right.

https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/3/28/cubanos-inspired-by-chef

Crewe

So this weekend, tried the copy cat James Coney Island chili recipe, as I love making chili.

https://copykat.com/2009/03/29/james-coney-island-chili/

Some real questions with this one though. Ive only made this once and it came out pretty close to the real thing.
However, this calls for way too much liquid IMO and I scrapped the tomatoes completely.
So, I went with the broth, no water and I used Trader Joes tomato sauce instead of tomatoes and going trough that needless painstaking process.
I also use, but didn't today, El pato tomato sauce as my go to's for chili.
The other thing omitted here is the thickening agent. Now, you can let it just sit longer and it will thicken on its own. Sometimes, as I did here, Ill use Masa harina mixed with water to form a slurry which you can add as a thickener. Or, if you want to go the true JCI method, crumble into dust 5 saltine crackers, but you do want it very fine if you go this route.
In any event, you want a really quick, good chili that outshines that crapola at the store, follow this method.
oh and also, I used carne picada, the hell with wasting your day shaving a chuck steak unless you are going to make really really good chili.

Crewe

Quote from: Crewe on August 12, 2018, 07:08:12 PM
So this weekend, tried the copy cat James Coney Island chili recipe, as I love making chili.

https://copykat.com/2009/03/29/james-coney-island-chili/

Some real questions with this one though. Ive only made this once and it came out pretty close to the real thing.
However, this calls for way too much liquid IMO and I scrapped the tomatoes completely.
So, I went with the broth, no water and I used Trader Joes tomato sauce instead of tomatoes and going trough that needless painstaking process.
I also use, but didn't today, El pato tomato sauce as my go to's for chili.
The other thing omitted here is the thickening agent. Now, you can let it just sit longer and it will thicken on its own. Sometimes, as I did here, Ill use Masa harina mixed with water to form a slurry which you can add as a thickener. Or, if you want to go the true JCI method, crumble into dust 5 saltine crackers, but you do want it very fine if you go this route.
In any event, you want a really quick, good chili that outshines that crapola at the store, follow this method.
oh and also, I used carne picada, the hell with wasting your day shaving a chuck steak unless you are going to make really really good chili.

Which is exactly what I did for Saturdays playoff games. Had a few folks over, we had several batches of wings with a great Memphis rub and a top notch vat of chili.
4lbs chuck steak; well, this time I had to use part of a chuck roast too because my grocer sucks sometimes, still, on the money.
Roasted serrano and Anaheim peppers with three different dumps of spices Ive blended together over the years.
It was decadent.
Think Im going to have to take next weekend off...

Crewe

This sound appealing to anyone? Have any similar dishes?
Haven't tried it yet...

This shrimp rice dressing is easy and amazing! It's very versatile, use it to stuff bell peppers, chickens, Cornish hens, pork-chops, or tenderloins. Full Shrimp rice dressing recipe along with notes.
Ingredients:
2 lbs of peeled fresh Louisiana shrimp, chopped
1/2 stick of butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 cup of chopped green onion
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups of seafood stock
5 cups of cooked white rice
2 Tbsp of Creole Seasoning
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375℉.
In a 6 qt Dutch oven, melt the butter on medium-high heat.
Add the onions, bell pepper, and celery, cook down until tender and translucent.
Add the green onions and the garlic, sauté for 3 minutes.
Add the chopped shrimp and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Add the stock and seasoning and stir well, bring to a simmer.
Stir in the cooked rice.
Cover and transfer to the oven, and bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Fluff with a fork or spatula before serving.

Rigg44

Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe- I did not see this posted but this stuff is like crack to me, so if it is a repeat sorry.

2 packages cream cheese
2 cups cooked chicken ( a rotisserie chicken works well for this)
1 cup hot sauce (I use frank's buffalo wing sauce)
1 cup ranch salad dressing
2 ½ cups shredded Colby-Monterey jack cheese
Tortilla chips

In a saucepan heat cream cheese and hot sauce until smooth. Pour into crock pot. Add chicken, ranch dressing, and Colby-Monterey jack cheese. Or just put it all in the crock pot and go, I have done that as well.  I think doing it in the saucepan is better but my wife says its in my head. 

Crewe

I assume that references the powder ranch packet?
Looks good! I am a hot sauce fanatic, so I love recipes that allow me versatility in that area.
Some people just have a thing about crockpots lol I don't mind them

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on January 17, 2019, 03:18:43 PM
I assume that references the powder ranch packet?
Looks good! I am a hot sauce fanatic, so I love recipes that allow me versatility in that area.
Some people just have a thing about crockpots lol I don't mind them

No it is the actual Ranch dressing

Crewe

*I have a pic to upload but I get an error on the website. if anyones interested, Ill find a way to get it uploaded.

I made this mammoth sammie and it turned out pretty good.
Recipe is copied from here
https://www.afamilyfeast.com/loaded-italian-sub-roasted-red-pepper-aioli/

A few notes:
Used French bread, the large wide loaf.
I screwed up the aioli by forgetting the garlic lol. I only had a few cloves of garlic so I minced that up, but I would guess it would be better using the recipe method.
I used hard salami, peppered salami, genoa salami, a few pepperoni and packaged prosciutto. This was all my deli had to offer so I ran with it. Also, I didn't use provolone, just shredded mozzarella on the inside and outside covered by Muenster slices.
Also used vine tomatoes instead of Roma's.
I didn't buy this amount of ingredients either as I only bought enough fora. half of a large loaf of French bread, for which I just eyeballed at the store.

Italian Hoagie with Red Bell Pepper Aioli

INGREDIENTS
For the Aioli

2 large sweet red bell peppers
1 head of garlic
½ cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided

To Make the Sub

½ loaf of Italian or French bread at least 3 inches wide and a foot long
¼ pound sliced Genoa salami
¼ pound sliced Italian Mortadella
¼ pound sliced sweet or hot (your preference) capicolla (also known as capocollo, or coppa)
¼ pound thinly sliced prosciutto
¼ pound aged good quality provolone cheese, sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
½ cup fresh basil leaves, divided
¼ cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano
1 cup shredded Scamorza mozzarella or regular mozzarella (but avoid using a very wet fresh mozzarella)
¼ cup chopped Muenster cheese (buy ¼ pound sliced and chop by hand)
1 teaspoon dry oregano
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
To Prepare the Aioli

Line a medium pan with foil and place both whole peppers with stems attached onto the pan.
Cut the top and bottom off a head of garlic and place in a small pocket made from a piece of foil. Drizzle one tablespoon of oil and one tablespoon of water over garlic and pinch the foil pocket closed. Place this foil packet on the pan with the peppers. Roast for ten minutes and turn peppers one third, roast for ten more minutes and turn another third then roast for ten more minutes and remove from the oven. (If the skin isn't charred all around, roast for another five minutes until nicely blackened and charred.)
Raise the oven temperature to 550 degrees.
Immediately place whole red peppers into a large zipper seal bag and seal to steam the skins off. Allow the peppers remain in the plastic bag for ten minutes, then take them out of the bag and place them on a cutting board. Peel the skin off and discard. Then split the peppers down the middle, remove stems and seeds and place the roasted flesh of the peppers into a blender (the peppers collect moisture inside while roasting, try not to add this excess liquid to the blender). Remove the roasted garlic head from the foil pouch and squeeze out the roasted cloves into the blender, adding them to the peppers (you may want to use a tiny piece of foil to squeeze the garlic out of the skin so you don't burn your fingers).
Add the mayonnaise to the blender and set to puree. Lift off the cap and slowly drizzle in 3 tablespoons of olive oil with motor running until mixture is thick and creamy.
To Prepare the Sandwich

Take the top crust off the 12 inch loaf by running a bread knife just below the top. Next split the loaf horizontally in half so you have two open halves. Spread two tablespoons of the aioli on each inside cut.
Then begin layering the cold cuts on the bottom half and finish with the provolone. Top with half of the basil leaves and place the top half of the bread over the basil pressing the aioli side down over the basil.
Heat the panini grill to hot or heat a grill pan on the stove. Brush one tablespoon of olive oil on the top half of the sandwich and brush the other tablespoon of olive oil on the panini press or grill. Place sandwich on heat over brushed oil and brown both sides, pressing down slightly to flatten sandwich. Heat until the bread is nicely browned.
Line a small sheet pan with foil and place the grilled sandwich onto the foil.
Lay the other half of the basil leaves and all of the sliced tomatoes over the top of the browned top of the sandwich.
Mix the Parmesan, mozzarella, Muenster and oregano in a small bowl and spread over the basil and tomatoes (Try to get the cheese to stay in place by pressing down with your hands).
Place the pan in the hot oven for 5-7 minutes to melt and brown cheese. To brown further, place under a broiler for a few minutes.
Serve by cutting into four even pieces. Great served with the roasted red pepper aioli on the side as a dipping sauce.

Crewe

So that deep-fried grilled cheese I discovered in Nashville recently? I tried at home, and the result was successful.
Recipe:

Texas toast bread and havarti - you can use whatever you like
Two eggs and about 4tbsp of milk
Panko bread crumbs

Apply thin layer of mayo if desired, then add cheese to create sandwich.
Mix egg and milk. Dredge and then coat with Panko bread crumbs.
Toss in the freezer for an hour.
Heat vegetable oil to 350 and drop it in for about two to three minutes.
I did this in a 4 qt saucepan and after a minute to a minute and a half a side. I flipped the sandwich just like you would on a grill.
Maybe oil in a skillet might have worked too? Try it and let me know, Ill stick with this method because it worked.

TheNorm

Damn...might have to try that when I'm off this diet lol 🤣
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr