News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

The fiancee and I do the same thing with the drama/comedy combo!

She was gone for a week last week (great grandmother passed :( ), and at some point during the week I finished my latest rewatch of the entirety of Bojack Horseman (it is my obsession). So, not wanting to start a new show that she hasn't seen yet, I started a show I haven't but I knew that she had.

I used to be super opposed to The Office when it first came out just because I hated the mockumentary format back then (and, goodness, how many years ago WAS that?) And, it's funny, because you say it's finding it's footing in season 1, but the second episode, Diversity Day, is almost always on the "top 10 best episodes" lists.

Anyways, maybe it's because I'm no longer a content snob or just I'm more open-minded now that I'm older, or maybe it's Washington and the marijuana, but I was cracking up the entire time I was watching it. I'm on season 2 already, I can't remember which episode I'm at now, maybe 2 or 3 or 4 of the second season, but yeah, definitely been loving it so far.

As far as together goes, right now our drama is Ozark, and I think we're going to watch Russian Doll as our comedy (it is a comedy, right, like a dramedy, drama-comedy mashup?) after we get done catching up on everything on the DVR.

BojackHorsefella

Per my last comment: Outside of streaming, are there any shows you guys DVR?

As far as what's currently on, we've got Riverdale (although admittedly I'm cheating, we watch it through the CW app since PS Vue doesn't have CW, so, technically not DVRing), Miracle Workers (TBS, Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, this has been HILARIOUS), Bobs Burgers, Family Guy/American Dad (again, weed, but also they're funny enough for a one-off episode right before bed when a new episode releases), Brooklyn Nine-Nine. We recently added AP Bio, it's an absolutely ridiculous show but it's very funny in a cable sitcom sort of way.

They're not airing at the moment but we also have Archer set, MasterChef and Next Food Network Star, Killing Eve, The Detour (second season was....not great, third was ok), Rick and Morty and Atlanta. 

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 13, 2019, 02:58:44 PM
Per my last comment: Outside of streaming, are there any shows you guys DVR?

As far as what's currently on, we've got Riverdale (although admittedly I'm cheating, we watch it through the CW app since PS Vue doesn't have CW, so, technically not DVRing), Miracle Workers (TBS, Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, this has been HILARIOUS), Bobs Burgers, Family Guy/American Dad (again, weed, but also they're funny enough for a one-off episode right before bed when a new episode releases), Brooklyn Nine-Nine. We recently added AP Bio, it's an absolutely ridiculous show but it's very funny in a cable sitcom sort of way.

They're not airing at the moment but we also have Archer set, MasterChef and Next Food Network Star, Killing Eve, The Detour (second season was....not great, third was ok), Rick and Morty and Atlanta.

Well, we have been streaming only in my house for close to 15 years now, so no DVR.  To answer your Russian Doll question, it is a comedy but its a dark comedy.  It is a nihilistic life is screwed kind of vibe.  It is NOT groundhog day.  It was worth a watch and has already been green lit for another season.  We currently watch Brooklyn 99, The Orville, Flash, Arrow, Game of Thrones, Barry, Ozark, Hell honestly the list is too long.  We have a lot of shows.  We typically don't watch daily.  We will let a few episodes build up and then binge watch 3 or 4 in an evening.  On another note, I love the office.  I think I have watched it start to finish a total of 6 times over the years.  I am that way with parks and rec to a lesser degree as well.   

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on March 13, 2019, 02:55:27 PM
The fiancee and I do the same thing with the drama/comedy combo!

She was gone for a week last week (great grandmother passed :( ), and at some point during the week I finished my latest rewatch of the entirety of Bojack Horseman (it is my obsession). So, not wanting to start a new show that she hasn't seen yet, I started a show I haven't but I knew that she had.

I used to be super opposed to The Office when it first came out just because I hated the mockumentary format back then (and, goodness, how many years ago WAS that?) And, it's funny, because you say it's finding it's footing in season 1, but the second episode, Diversity Day, is almost always on the "top 10 best episodes" lists.

Anyways, maybe it's because I'm no longer a content snob or just I'm more open-minded now that I'm older, or maybe it's Washington and the marijuana, but I was cracking up the entire time I was watching it. I'm on season 2 already, I can't remember which episode I'm at now, maybe 2 or 3 or 4 of the second season, but yeah, definitely been loving it so far.

As far as together goes, right now our drama is Ozark, and I think we're going to watch Russian Doll as our comedy (it is a comedy, right, like a dramedy, drama-comedy mashup?) after we get done catching up on everything on the DVR.

Were there many mockumentary's back then? I don't recall, but yes, you're right, Diversity Day is certainly up there.
Russian Doll is not a comedy per se. Based on the trailer I thought it was a Groundhog Day ripoff, but its not, at all and luckily it was suggested to me by people with same taste as me or I never would have given it another look. Is it a dramedy? Yea, Id say so, mores than comedy for sure.

To your second post, I don't DVR anything really, unless I see a one off something by chance I want to record. If I want to see something, I find it and stream it. I have such a backlog anyway, I doubt Ill ever run out of programs to enjoy.

BojackHorsefella

OH man, Barry. Not on the DVR because we have HBO Now, but, what a show, love it. So excited for Season 2.

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 13, 2019, 04:06:03 PM
OH man, Barry. Not on the DVR because we have HBO Now, but, what a show, love it. So excited for Season 2.

agreed its a great show.

TheNorm

I DVR Jeopardy episodes and the occasional PBS special I want to check out, but other than that no new shows have really caught my eye and most that do (MasterChef, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place, Star Trek Discovery) end up on Hulu the next morning or are exclusive to CBS All-Access.

Speaking of CBS All Access, decided to get it because I wanted Star Trek Discovery and am also looking forward to Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone reboot on April 1.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

See, I can't justify getting CBS All Access just for Twilight Zone, but I REALLY want Twilight Zone.

Never been a huge Star Trek fan myself, so TZ + Discovery isn't enough for me to justify subscription :(

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 14, 2019, 11:01:22 AM
See, I can't justify getting CBS All Access just for Twilight Zone, but I REALLY want Twilight Zone.

Never been a huge Star Trek fan myself, so TZ + Discovery isn't enough for me to justify subscription :(

+1 I have been tempted because of Discovery but can't make myself pull the trigger for one show.

Crewe

Mad Men

I just finished up this series for the first time and I really enjoyed it.
For one, I love the era and two, the show integrates the culturally significant events of that time. Everything from the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kent Stat, MLK, moon landing, etc...
This show is about loneliness in life and in the business and how people deal with that internally. It also is a great representation of the cultural shift from the early 60's to the 70's. The misogyny and sexism are off the charts and for me at least, its tough to watch sometimes, but necessary.
Excellent character growth here among several main players, well portrayed all the way around.
Mad Men is a heavy drama in a slow burn and I think it's worthwhile. It may even edge in to my top five all time.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 15, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
Mad Men

I just finished up this series for the first time and I really enjoyed it.
For one, I love the era and two, the show integrates the culturally significant events of that time. Everything from the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kent Stat, MLK, moon landing, etc...
This show is about loneliness in life and in the business and how people deal with that internally. It also is a great representation of the cultural shift from the early 60's to the 70's. The misogyny and sexism are off the charts and for me at least, its tough to watch sometimes, but necessary.
Excellent character growth here among several main players, well portrayed all the way around.
Mad Men is a heavy drama in a slow burn and I think it's worthwhile. It may even edge in to my top five all time.

This and Breaking Bad were the first two shows that my fiancee basically made me watch from start to finish on Netflix when we started dating. Preferred Mad Men, myself, although both are excellent at what they do.

I had some issues getting into the show during it's first season, for sure, but basically from "Mr. Campbell, who cares?" onward it was incredible. The JFK episode absolutely had me in tears, admittedly, and I love that time period (mostly the music?) and how faithfully they recreated living in it.

Also, it's kind of nice to explore ads when they were still figuring shit out, and not just "scream as loud as you can and use a lot of bright colors and piss poor jokes!" like it is nowadays.

Crewe

Yea, the JFK episode was just like my parents described it to me. Really sad and tragic.

I liked BB, but I just can't see it as an all time greatest like everyone else does. To me, it just doesn't carry the breadth that the other top shows do.
Not necessarily a bad thing but its just not in my top 5. Now, Better Call Saul...? Thats a different animal, I actually like it better than BB

BojackHorsefella

BCS IS better than BB, and it's rather funny that the Cartel stuff that was obviously the main proponent of BB is easily the worst part of BCS (or, at least, needs to be refined to go back to focusing on Nacho and stop doing the fan service thing with Gus).

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on April 15, 2019, 02:43:08 PM
BCS IS better than BB, and it's rather funny that the Cartel stuff that was obviously the main proponent of BB is easily the worst part of BCS (or, at least, needs to be refined to go back to focusing on Nacho and stop doing the fan service thing with Gus).

No need to convince me lol  ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Revelation that will surprise no one: I just like to hear myself talk.

or, BSB'd, I suppose: I just like to read my own words.