News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Honestly, for the 4K aspect of it, I'm obliged to lean towards action movies like the Spider-Man films.

For that, depends on what you want. Combination of Jumanji (I'm assuming it's the new one) gives you a great film that's really fun and extremely funny, pair that with Homecoming and you have the latest iteration of Spider-Man and the most "canon" one as he actually belongs to the MCU.

If you don't care about the MCU but like Spider-Man, the 2 for 1 value of both Amazing Spider-Man films paired with Jumanji is probably the best value. I like the 2nd Amazing Spider-Man, it's mindless and full of plot holes but it really feels like a comic book movie. The first ones a bit more dull but Dennis Leary is great in it and I like Garfield and Emma Stone.

My 2 cents.

Crewe

Yea, I agree, so Homecoming is a lock. Jumanji isn't me I dont think, nor the other 2 SM flicks.
I think Im down to All the money in the world, Concussion, Elysium, Taxi Driver or Baby Driver again.
All but the last two seem sort of tepid, but Ill let it marinate and see what comes to pass.

Crewe

Spiderman Homecoming
Im sure everyone has seen this, but spoilers anyway...
Spoiler

This one was fun and for a reboot it was better than Maguire's version
While cheesy at times and with quite a predictable story it does a good job of developing the Spiderman character.
This film doesn't take itself too seriously which adds to the charm and likability. I thought Karen was a bit much in the long run but otherwise a fun romp.
I also liked the fact that the death of Ben Parker wasnt dwelled on like it was in Maguire's Spiderman, it just felt off as a motivation.
Jon Favreau on screen doesn't work well for me even though I know Im probably in the minority there.
But I will say the bathroom scene at the end of the film was perfect juxtaposition and timing, best laugh of the movie for me.
I didnt get too much out of the sidekick but I guess thats just to be accepted, and as an aside, Laura Harrier is 28 years old?  :o
One last item; Im really indifferent about it, and I understand the MU universe is merged with ours to a slight degree, but a completely robotic Iron Man? It just seems to create such unseemly possibilities. But thats me, and I digress.
Overall good flick, looking forward to 2.

3.75/5

BojackHorsefella

There have been completely robotic Iron Men since at least Oron Man 3. Also featured on Age of Ultron.

Crewe

yea I realize that, but still doesn't mean Im on board completely ;-)

Crewe

Solo

When this was announced I was against it. After Ive seen it, Im still against it.
Ill concede it was better than I thought it would be and Ron Howard and Woody Harrelson had more to do with that than anything.
When it was first reported Alden Ehrenreich was Solo, it was obvious to me, other than the fact we didnt need this story, that this wasn't going to work.
Nothing against him, but he wasn't Solo and its not all his fault. Harrison Ford created a character you cannot replicate. His "it" factor cannot be bottled and this much was obvious. The guy we see in this flick was not Solo. Sure, at times there were flashes of the substance of his character, but then again not really.
If you are immersed in the SW universe, then yes, see it, thats why I did. If not, dont waste your time.
Again, it wasn't horrible and its still better than any of the prequels, although not by much over III, but if its raining outside and you have access to Dominos, give it a go.

TheNorm

This looks better the closer it gets, and I can't wait. I hope they can keep up the story that Ryan Coogler started with the first one.

https://youtu.be/u22BXhMu4tI
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

He broke things in me that aint never gonna be fixed
That Rocky/Drago stare down was epic!
Loved the nod to Ali with the underwater training
Rocky is such a great character and Creed was a terrific film, I hope this one surpasses it!

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on September 30, 2018, 11:22:22 PM
He broke things in me that aint never gonna be fixed
That Rocky/Drago stare down was epic!
Loved the nod to Ali with the underwater training
Rocky is such a great character and Creed was a terrific film, I hope this one surpasses it!

That nod to Ali was incredible, and I love the music too; that orchestral cut with DMX is nice.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Loved both Deadpool 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on October 09, 2018, 10:02:47 AM
Loved both Deadpool 2

The new ant man and black panther are still on my back log lol

Hearing good things about venom despite the critics so I bet it is decent

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on October 09, 2018, 04:12:10 PM
Loved both Deadpool 2

Venom is....sort of a throwback to the Ghost Rider/Spawn/Daredevil/Blade days of superhero movies. The plot is basically incoherent, nothing anyone does makes any sense, but for about an hour, you get to watch Venom jump around and beat up bad guys, so, you know, if that's all you want, it's perfectly fine.

It just goes to show, just like Sony never really understood Spider-Man, they don't understand his roster either. I'm not saying it's not a fun movie, or not entertaining (that being said, I think it's worth a rental than theater prices), but it didn't do much for me.

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on October 09, 2018, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: rollntider on October 09, 2018, 04:12:10 PM
Loved both Deadpool 2

Venom is....sort of a throwback to the Ghost Rider/Spawn/Daredevil/Blade days of superhero movies. The plot is basically incoherent, nothing anyone does makes any sense, but for about an hour, you get to watch Venom jump around and beat up bad guys, so, you know, if that's all you want, it's perfectly fine.

It just goes to show, just like Sony never really understood Spider-Man, they don't understand his roster either. I'm not saying it's not a fun movie, or not entertaining (that being said, I think it's worth a rental than theater prices), but it didn't do much for me.

cool thanks for the heads up

BojackHorsefella

Everybody, do me a favor and go see Bad Night at the El Royale, because it is AMAZING, but it's an indie, and it's not a superhero movie or an established franchise, so it's not making any money and that's unfortunate. This is why we don't get original movies when people complain Hollywood doesn't make original movies anymore.

Bring friends!

Crewe

I dont go to the theatre much but am really considering this and Halloween