News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Life Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, May 14, 2018, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 10, 2019, 02:10:39 PM
It's been raining and flooding like a mofo here and, Ive had days off, which is not really good, no work no money, BUT, I try not to worry about it because....
Im focusing on learning the guitar aaaaand, my cousin just hooked me up on that PS Home network option where I get access to his games, hence me playing SM...and he has others I need to get to but it will be a while lol

Nice!

I haven't been to the gym since January because I suck, and if I'm apparently just going to be done working out, I've been thinking of taking piano lessons finally (something I've put on the back burner literally since 6th grade).

Then again, with my wedding coming up in April, I think maybe instead of piano lessons that the fiancee and I should get dancing lessons. So, to the backburner again, perhaps.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on May 10, 2019, 02:35:40 PM
It's been raining and flooding like a mofo here and, Ive had days off, which is not really good, no work no money, BUT, I try not to worry about it because....
Im focusing on learning the guitar aaaaand, my cousin just hooked me up on that PS Home network option where I get access to his games, hence me playing SM...and he has others I need to get to but it will be a while lol

Nice!

I haven't been to the gym since January because I suck, and if I'm apparently just going to be done working out, I've been thinking of taking piano lessons finally (something I've put on the back burner literally since 6th grade).

Then again, with my wedding coming up in April, I think maybe instead of piano lessons that the fiancee and I should get dancing lessons. So, to the backburner again, perhaps.

Lord, ever since Nashville, I event been either. I look like Jabba the Hutt, absolutely the worst shape of my life, which is not what I need to be thinking about while planning not to move from the couch for three days lol

I get that man, Ive put off guitar three or four times in my life until now. Sometimes I think Im so old why even try, since it takes ten plus years to get decent since Im no prodigy lol
I want to play bass, banjo....just keep going lol

Congrats on getting married, I did not know that. Best wishes dude. I mean, best wishes even if you weren't getting married but you know hate I meant lol

TheNorm

I'd seen there was flooding there lately, been meaning to ask you about that. Sorry to hear about the not being able to work part. You'll have to tell me how the learning guitar is going though, been thinking about doing the same.

Buc, do the dancing lessons. DO IT (I may have my reasons lol). Seriously though, one of the best things I've ever done and I've seen what couples that come in just to work on their wedding dance can do too.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 13, 2019, 09:51:21 PM

I'd seen there was flooding there lately, been meaning to ask you about that. Sorry to hear about the not being able to work part. You'll have to tell me how the learning guitar is going though, been thinking about doing the same.

Buc, do the dancing lessons. DO IT (I may have my reasons lol). Seriously though, one of the best things I've ever done and I've seen what couples that come in just to work on their wedding dance can do too.

It wasn't bad really. I mean a few people got water, but it wasn't deadly, city shuts down flooding. The news really panics since it is Houston, but they oversell the rain a lot of times.
It was supposed to be monsoon weather Thursday through Sunday morning. It rained on my pretty bad late Thursday, drizzled a tiny bit Friday, beach weather Saturday and Sunday. So much so, I felt guilty, kind of, for planning to be a slug all weekend lol

I appreciate that, but I just didn't have any work and I know thats not good, but its better than not being able to work lol I just took the opportunity to heal up, should be good to go.

The guitar is going well, Im enjoying it. Im so glad I took lessons. Id be watching "tutorials for beginners" online and for a true novice, even though I see what they are doing, I can't really see...if that makes sense. I had no clue (how could I) that my hand position were all wrong and zero technique, so yea, I would have been quitting soon from not processing fairly quickly had I not opted for help.
You play bass right?
Id love to get in to that too.
My nephew has a band and he sings and plays guitar. His brother used to drum for him and our cousin plays bass and is getting back in to it.
I told my nephews, what I want, is when Im decent enough, lets all collaborate on something and go in the studio and get something down on tape.
I think thats a realistic goal and would be fun.

TheNorm

Nothing wrong with using that time to heal up either...I should follow that advice sometime.

And yeah, taking actual lessons for instruments seems to work better at first to build up a foundation. Video and book are nice, but can also develop bad habits early that an instructor might otherwise catch. As you know, it's much harder to break a habit once it's there. Glad the guitar's going well for you, and I do hope you can get in the studio! That would be a dream of mine.

I do play bass, and played piano too. Been awhile though...finally brought Stitch (my bass) with me to Chicago, and hoping to swing over to Chicago Music Exchange to get it tuned up and restrung. I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that I may also bring another instrument home as well.  8)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Stitch lol love it!

Excellent point about the bad habits. I didn't have time to develop any thankfully.

You live in Chicago full time?

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2019, 01:12:11 AM
Stitch lol love it!

Excellent point about the bad habits. I didn't have time to develop any thankfully.

Here at least until the beginning of August when my contract ends, debating what to do next after that. If they offer to extend like they have twice already, I may do that again. I'm comfortable at this hospital and here in general but I don't want to get too comfortable. Also started working on obtaining my California license so we'll see.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on May 14, 2019, 08:59:11 AM
Stitch lol love it!

Here at least until the beginning of August when my contract ends, debating what to do next after that. If they offer to extend like they have twice already, I may do that again. I'm comfortable at this hospital and here in general but I don't want to get too comfortable. Also started working on obtaining my California license so we'll see.

way way way back when, I had an opportunity to move to Chicago for work and it just didn't appeal to me then. Doesn't really now either, but more so than it did lol
I guess Im saying, id like to see the town but not live there because, fuck the winter

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on May 14, 2019, 08:59:11 AM
Stitch lol love it!

You must enjoy moving, which is an activity I have come to despise over the course of my life.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2019, 09:54:50 AM

way way way back when, I had an opportunity to move to Chicago for work and it just didn't appeal to me then. Doesn't really now either, but more so than it did lol
I guess Im saying, id like to see the town but not live there because, fuck the winter

I get it. I have a decent bar right across the street from me, as in I could walk out of the condo complex, cross the street and be at the bar in two minutes. One night it was maybe 15 below but someone said I should get out and explore. Took two steps outside and turned right back around and decided to drink solo that night and ordered a pizza lol. But it's starting to warm up now, and this town in the non-winter months can be quite fun. :)

Quote from: Bucfever on May 14, 2019, 11:56:13 AM

You must enjoy moving, which is an activity I have come to despise over the course of my life.

Oddly enough I'm indifferent. Moving kinda sucks, but as far as the job goes I get to do my work without having to deal with the bullshit of hospital politics (which I really got tired of). Some drawbacks but right now I can't complain, plus I get to travel to spots I like. It's almost like a working vacation; on my off days I get to explore the town a bit.

I should write about this travel nurse deal more.

Crewe

thats pretty cool norm.

Im assuming you rent there?
Any opinion on renting v owning?

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Im going back and forth, and even so when I bought my house recently.
I purchased way out in the burbs, hell not even burbs, its a podunk town way outside Houston lol
There's just no way in hell I can afford to buy in town or even surrounding town. I was going to rent a place instead of buying, but opted for the latter.
I like my house. Its more than enough room for me, I have yard space and don't have neighbors sardined next to me, like in my previous small patio home.
But the drive. God I hate the drive. Anything I want to do, I have to drive back to town. Bowling twice a week at least, guitar lessons, record store trips, meet friends, always have to drive back in to Houston. Sometimes, my job will end in the afternoon, Ill drive home for 40 minutes, turn around and go back to town for guitar lessons lets say, then 45 minutes back. Do that a few times a week plus the normal rush hour drive in and it gets old, fast.
However, if I rent in town, Ill pay a bit more than my mortgage and utilities and amenities but not a ton more.
No more buying a new roof, no more water heater replacement, no more lawn care, no more maintenance of any kind, which is beyond awesome.
And Im near everything and could even uber to jobs in 5-10 minutes and avoid 25-50 parking fees I currently absorb.
But, now Im paying more than I was on my mortgage for a 600 square foot studio or one bedroom with a shit galley kitchen.
Now, I risk having shitty loud obnoxious neighbors and now I can't have appliances I want and I don't have a decent sized kitchen to cook.

Buying is the better investment, but, to me, it always comes down to these two features.
Live close, sacrifice space. Live far, sacrifice amenities and a drive.

This turned in to, something I didnt intend lol
Im still considering selling this house after next month when Ill have a year in to avoid capitol gains taxes. I like the house, just not where it is and its a daily battle for my happiness.

BojackHorsefella

I've had this talk with the fiancee.

I'm always of two minds. On the one hand, my father has always said for years that property is the best investment and it's always better to own than rent.

On the other, my generation watched what happened with the housing crisis in 2008, what's STILL happening today in some areas, and of course I live outside of Seattle so housing prices start high in Seattle, and stay pretty high as they extend out, so it's a weird position.

The place the fiancee and I rent now is 2 br, 2 bath, with a one-car garage and driveway, and it's about, with utilities.......$2200, or so?

We've already had some issues with appliances not working (including an extended issue with the damn fireplace while Winter was happening, that was fun), and yeah, on the one hand, that sucked, but the management is very nice, so are the maintenance guys, and most importantly I'm not required to pay them to come fix things.

Whereas, say, that fireplace issue, I can only imagine how much that alone would have cost if we were living in our own place. This is why I'm OBSESSIVE about saving money, because I always think "god forbid today's the day my transmission goes out in my car" or "today's the day heating stops working," but, again, on that second item, I don't REALLY have to worry about that, cost-wise. It's why if I ever buy a house I want to have a SHIT TON of money in reserve, because I can only think of the future in "worst-case scenarios."

So, yeah, I think it's one of those "what's best for you" things. We have people on both sides of us and above us (it's like, a townhouse style, I think it's called), but mostly we can't hear them except the people above us have a serious issue with stomping around, but at least it's not worse than that. We'd love to have our own place, no neighbors, but I also know here in Washington we'd probably be further out from work than we want to be right now, and at the moment our place is kind of perfectly in the center between North Washington and South Washington, so that's nice.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on May 14, 2019, 04:26:53 PM
I've had this talk with the fiancee.

I'm always of two minds. On the one hand, my father has always said for years that property is the best investment and it's always better to own than rent.

On the other, my generation watched what happened with the housing crisis in 2008, what's STILL happening today in some areas, and of course I live outside of Seattle so housing prices start high in Seattle, and stay pretty high as they extend out, so it's a weird position.

The place the fiancee and I rent now is 2 br, 2 bath, with a one-car garage and driveway, and it's about, with utilities.......$2200, or so?

We've already had some issues with appliances not working (including an extended issue with the damn fireplace while Winter was happening, that was fun), and yeah, on the one hand, that sucked, but the management is very nice, so are the maintenance guys, and most importantly I'm not required to pay them to come fix things.

Whereas, say, that fireplace issue, I can only imagine how much that alone would have cost if we were living in our own place. This is why I'm OBSESSIVE about saving money, because I always think "god forbid today's the day my transmission goes out in my car" or "today's the day heating stops working," but, again, on that second item, I don't REALLY have to worry about that, cost-wise. It's why if I ever buy a house I want to have a SHIT TON of money in reserve, because I can only think of the future in "worst-case scenarios."

So, yeah, I think it's one of those "what's best for you" things. We have people on both sides of us and above us (it's like, a townhouse style, I think it's called), but mostly we can't hear them except the people above us have a serious issue with stomping around, but at least it's not worse than that. We'd love to have our own place, no neighbors, but I also know here in Washington we'd probably be further out from work than we want to be right now, and at the moment our place is kind of perfectly in the center between North Washington and South Washington, so that's nice.

Repairs are an issue, but honestly, its not that bad if you are moderately able to pocket a little money. A shit ton always helps of course, but you just have to plan.
For instance, my roof has maybe 10 years left so I figure how much it costs and sock away x$ a month so its not a huge hit when the time comes, same with tires for your car or anything really.
Thats not to say there aren't emergencies that drain you.

The townhouse living is hit and miss. One Gil I was dating lived in one in a great part of town, expensive, but not absurd.
When I first went there, I thought this is nice, because I hated mine, ghetto kids and neighbors, just freakin noise all the time. After being there a bit, I hear stomping around and carelessness. "That go on a lot here?" Yup, she says. Welp, Im not buying one now lol

Part of it is just this city. I really don't like it anymore, but I can't leave because my job doesn't travel well, I couldn't afford any start up time to try to get my business running in a new town.

Crewe

So, I just had a guitar lesson with this chick... 😎✌️

TheNorm

Nice! How'd you score that?