News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Fantastic 4 trailer

Started by rollntider, April 20, 2015, 12:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

looks like they borrowed from the house of cards staff. Cant be any worse than the first 2 fantastice 4 movies.

rollntider

rollntider

Sakura

Fantastic Four will never work, regardless of who makes it.

rollntider

Quote from: Sakura on April 29, 2016, 03:15:45 AM

why is that? I think done right it would work.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on May 03, 2016, 10:38:43 AM
Quote from: Sakura on April 29, 2016, 03:15:45 AM
why is that? I think done right it would work.

The dynamic of the group doesn't work for most people, I find.  Mr Fantastic stretches. So what?  The Thing is a rock hard monster who is a bit stronger than a normal man.  Again, so what?  Sue Richards can turn invisible and deflect energy attacks. THAT'S ACTUALLY USEFUL.  The Thing is most commonly seen as a comedy foil as he gets blasted away, says some stupid one liner about how "the tough keep on-" and then gets blasted again.  Johnny Storm can fly and has fire powers, again USEFUL.  Dr Doom is typically done badly, and they try to make his costume look exactly like in the comics, which looks AWFUL in a real world adaptation. Notice that the Marvel universe movies made by Marvel don't do this?  You don't see Wolverine in the yellow spandex, you don't see Ultron looking like a robot from the Fallout universe, etc.

Now, that said, there's too many licensing issues related to the Marvel film universe. Sony, 20th Century Fox, Columbia Pictures, etc etc...  There's so many different companies who have to be navigated to secure the rights to each individual character because Marvel did what DC did (still does) once upon a time, and they foolishly signed away the rights to characters as just giving up the character rights.  Yeah sure they get money for the movies those characters are in, but then you get an Age of Ultron where Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can't be called Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and they kill off Quicksilver (who is supposed to be a member of the Avengers; too bad he's dead).  I can see it just going awful even under Marvel's supervision because we'll get The Thing and he'll be referred to by the character's real life identity which won't be Ben Grimm because changes, and the invisible woman will be given some ridiculous name like "Wraith Girl" and the human torch will become "fire star" and the such.

And then there's that whole "progressive" thing where they feel the need to take an established character and change them for no reason, like making Johnny Storm into a black kid.  Or Sue Richards into a latina.  Mind you, Marvel is currently really treading water with what they're doing with their comic universe, continually changing their most iconic heroes into women "persons of color," such as turning Captain British into a Muslim Woman.  Yeah, I'm sure that people from the UK appreciate that one.  Nick Fury got retconned into a black man because of Samuel L Jackson, like not just in the movies, they changed him in the comics too.  There's been a lot of success from the Marvel film universe, but they keep shoving out these gender bender and race changing variants in their comics, and when they fail, they seemingly chastise the fans for not buying and then redo it all over again.

Maybe they won't screw it all up before Thanos finally appears in 2027 (at least, that's how long it feels like it'll take to get there), but I'm losing confidence in Marvel's ability to keep this thing together.  Lest we forget that they call Hawkeye "Barton" and Black Widow "Agent Romanov" probably due to IP issues.  I don't mind that they don't wear the costumes, but it does seem silly that Barton makes out like he wants to protect his family of five by gallivanting around using his real name.

rollntider

the whole reason for changing their characters up (in some cases) was because they did not have the rights to the original characters. They have been changing characters for years, its nothing new and hell even multiple universes. marvel even had all of the Reed Richards have a meeting.

I am not sure but maybe you aren't totally familiar with alot of the marvel universe. Before the movies I was a batman/spiderman comic reader on occasion. I never ventured from those. Since then I learn about the characters before the movie comes out. I had the same attitude on the comics movies. Now i get giddy as a school girl when a new one comes out.

We will disagree on this topic, but if made right (plot/story/actors/directors) the movie of Fantastic 4 would do well. Hell that crap fest of batman superman did well even with Ben Affleck. If they did the story right, tightened up the plot and got a better actor for batman they would have rivaled Marvel.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on May 04, 2016, 09:50:55 PM
the whole reason for changing their characters up (in some cases) was because they did not have the rights to the original characters. They have been changing characters for years, its nothing new and hell even multiple universes. marvel even had all of the Reed Richards have a meeting.

I am not sure but maybe you aren't totally familiar with alot of the marvel universe. Before the movies I was a batman/spiderman comic reader on occasion. I never ventured from those. Since then I learn about the characters before the movie comes out. I had the same attitude on the comics movies. Now i get giddy as a school girl when a new one comes out.

We will disagree on this topic, but if made right (plot/story/actors/directors) the movie of Fantastic 4 would do well. Hell that crap fest of batman superman did well even with Ben Affleck. If they did the story right, tightened up the plot and got a better actor for batman they would have rivaled Marvel.

I'm surprised you didn't say anything about the fact that they managed to get a worse Lex Luthor than the classic Superman movies.  Lex Luthor was like some weird combination of The Joker and Lex Luthor without explanation, who simply did things to be malicious and crazy.  How is this not a point of criticism for you?

rollntider

The movie was all over the place, it was like spiderman 3 but better. I think the movie was close to being being a good one, but i also think my dislike of the actors for Luthor and Batman might have skewed my enjoyment of the movie. Plus outside of batman and Joke I have no love for the DC universe. Its not the worst Superhero movie. Although, I am excited to see suicide squad.