UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

RIP Thread

Started by rollntider, December 04, 2015, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on June 13, 2016, 02:26:08 AM
Quote from: rollntider on June 13, 2016, 01:42:30 AM
Please say a pray for the families in Orlando who lost loved ones due to the muslim extremist. We have some sick people in the world.

It truly baffles me how easily some people can end not only a life, but multiple lives.
So much rage in the world.

Their Imam(sp?) was preaching gay hate before this happened.

Crewe

Yea and we are done as a society when people act out with murder.

rollntider

rollntider

Pat Summit of the Tennessee Lady Vols passed away today. I hate the Vols, but she was a legend in coaching.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on June 28, 2016, 11:07:54 AM
Pat Summit of the Tennessee Lady Vols passed away today. I hate the Vols, but she was a legend in coaching.

Think I read somewhere that in her 38 year career, every single player she coached graduated. To me, that's what makes her legendary. So impressive, and a legend indeed.

As for Buddy Ryan, wow. Dude was a defensive genius.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on June 28, 2016, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: rollntider on June 28, 2016, 11:07:54 AM

Think I read somewhere that in her 38 year career, every single player she coached graduated. To me, that's what makes her legendary. So impressive, and a legend indeed.

As for Buddy Ryan, wow. Dude was a defensive genius.

True on both counts, but on Pat Summit, there was no leaving early so that does help, but none the less no one failed to leave with a diploma. Even before kids could depart early for the NFL an NBA that never happened. Still a feat though.

Crewe

I respect Buddy Ryan's innovations in the game but as an Oiler fan, Buddy is well, not a favorite. Same for for being a Cowboys fan as well I guess lol

rollntider

TheNorm

Goddammit 2016, f*cking stop it already. Someone go bubblewrap Elton John and Bruce Springsteen for the next week, please?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/entertainment/george-michael-death/index.html

Dismiss some of his earlier stuff as pop fluff if you want, but you'll never convince me that it wasn't great. Dude was creative, and he had one hell of a voice. His "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" duet with Elton John is some incredible vocal work. This one might still be my favorite though. RIP, George Michael. FFS, 53.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

This one hurts.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/27/entertainment/carrie-fisher-obit-star-wars/index.html

Her most famous character was a strong and independent badass that took no shit from anyone, and was a leader without question at a time when few movies had characters like that.

But more importantly, outside of that, she lived her life without giving a f*ck what anyone thought. She was a strong advocate for mental health awareness and treatment, and talked openly about her struggles with alcoholism and bipolar disorder. That may be more badass than anything her most famous character ever did; by being public about her struggles it also gave plenty of others hope.

My Princess, My General. You're one with the Force, and you'll be missed.  :'(

rollntider

Sad week for deaths. 2016 a crazy year